Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Automatic lowering & raising of the screen.  (Read 4883 times)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Automatic lowering & raising of the screen.
« on: March 06, 2016, 10:32:05 pm »
Anyone know if it's possible to disable the constant lowering & raising of the screen when the ignition key is turned on or off?

It's nice to be able to adjust the screen whilst on the move, I'll admit that, I'm just thinking of the overall accelerated wear & tear on the motor every time the key is turned, surely that's going to reduce the life of the motor and be costly to replace.

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic lowering & raising of the screen.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 11:34:06 pm »
I bought a BMW RT that had an adjustable shield that did just what you are wanting your Trophy to do. The previous owner set the shield and never moved it. When I bought the bike with 10,000 miles on it the shield would not move because of the road grime and dirt that had accumulated in the pivot areas. The guy took great care of the bike, but never thought to clean or lube those points. The fact that my Trophy adjusts up and down is a plus to me because it will help prevent that from happening. I also keep these pivots clean and lightly lubed which will help keep some strain off the motor. Stop worrying about what could happen and enjoy the beast. You might check with a dealer and see if the automatic feature can be disabled in the ECM and still allow adjustment.

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 12:03:28 am »
I asked at my dealer when I had my R1200RT about using it often and possibly causing early failure and the salesman who was nearing retirement said he used his repeatedly every day and never had a failure, or even had one of his customers have a failure.  His parting comment was "Enjoy it!".  I regularly run mine down when coming to a stop so I can see the near pavement condition more clearly, then move it back up at speed.  I haven't seen anyone on the K1600 forum with windshield motor woes either.  I think with keeping all the moving parts clean these things are pretty reliable.  Enjoy it! :028:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 06:13:04 am »
I have to agree with the others here - it does what it's designed to do !

If you took that thought process to the "Nth" degree
you'd never ride the bike at all in case the tyres got worn out !  :087:  !

Enjoy the Ride  :028:

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 08:17:26 am »
I always drop mine down, when filtering in heavy traffic, so that's everyday then! Then up for A road blasts!

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 01:59:29 pm »
I avoid working the motorized screen at higher freeway speeds.  IIRC, even Triumph cautions about that.  This is especially true for those who put on large aftermarket screens.  Wind force acting on the screen - and the motor - can be tremendous.

Static raising and lowering, there is next to no load on the motor.  I actually like this feature because I throw a cover over my bike after parking it in the garage, so having the screen fully retracted is nice.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 04:47:57 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]

If you took that thought process to the "Nth" degree
you'd never ride the bike at all in case the tyres got worn out !  :087:  !

Ha ha,....now that's taking things too far and my question/thinking totally out of context really!

I'll admit that I'm 'old school' and this is the first motorcycle that I've owned with an electric screen, for me I've never really needed an adjustable one period, let alone for it to move EVERY time the ignition key is turned, I just don't see the point really,... unless it's designed to wear out the motor and linkages prematurely. :001:

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 05:41:14 pm »
The motor itself is not unlike a windshield wiper motor. In the scheme of things, very little use for windscreen duty. How many windshield wiper motors have you worn out?