Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 2013 TTSE went in for the head replacement  (Read 6656 times)

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
2013 TTSE went in for the head replacement
« on: March 09, 2016, 08:56:52 pm »
So today I took my 2013 TTSE with 10300 miles on it to the dealer today to see about getting the head replaced. Service manager didn't know anything about the letter Triumph sent out regarding to replace the head if the owner says the head is noisy. The dealer's mechanic listen to the engine and took it for a test ride. Service manager said the bike has noisy valves and cam chain so they will contact Triumph and see if they will approve the head replacement. So now I wait and see.
Current Bikes
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Burgman 650
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vancouver
Re: 2013 TTSE went in for the head replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 05:32:35 pm »
Hey azccj, not sure what to say here. Personally I would have some reservations about a dealer who was unaware of the issue or the process.

It is a good thing that your dealer is going to back up your assessment of noise. Me, I would be looking for a dealer and service team who have done a number of these replacements.
Just sayin'

Studley

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 11:51:11 pm »
Which dealer are you going to?
Serial BMW rider

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 11:49:50 pm »
I took it to GO AZ Motorcycles in Peoria. I dropped it off this morning after first removing every painted panel, the windshield, and rear foot peg mounts. This must save the dealership 2-3 hours time not having to remove then install all the pieces. Hopefully they will get it done by the end of the week, and hopefully it will be done right. I tried to get them to just give me the parts and I would do the job myself, but they wouldn't do that. Nor would they just let me bring them just the engine.

When I get it back I might just pull the cylinder head cover and side engine cover off to check the valve clearance and index the cams since I have the tools to do it and the body pieces are already off.

Current Bikes
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Burgman 650
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 03:26:11 am »
Hey Azccj - sounds like you are adept with the bike, has low km - so did something from new change or why did you ultimately decide the noise was loud enough...

I have a some light valve tapping until a few bars on the coolant, nothing I'd deem head worthy,,, and new to the triple world I don't find it whisper quiet but again just different engine characteristics, just looking as to what is bringing people into the shop - others I've read say its extremely loud 

Tx
'19 Tiger 1200 xcA - matte marine

Offline Abner62

• Trophy Member
  • Abner62
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Morayfield
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 05:34:23 am »
Does anyone know if any owners are having any issues with the 2015-2016 TTSE models or have all the mechanical/technical issues been addressed and rectified

Offline ShaunDW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy A1
  • City / Town: Simonstone, Lancs
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 07:41:15 am »
Mine is a year old (though it may be a 2014 model) with 10,500 miles and I have no issues. :002:
Pacific Blue Trophy A1
Honda Bros 650 (since import from Japan in '95)
History (best of):
KE125, CB250T, DT400, GS425, GS650G, XR200, CB900F2, FJ1200, K1200RS

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 08:46:56 am »
Hi Abner62,

From my observations if reading most of the posts on this Forum,
there are now very few problems with new Trophy's.

Some of the main niggles now seem to be things like :

Coolant hoses that have not been tightened correctly
causing the coolant to leak - easy to fix once you can get at them !

Battery terminal(s) not tightened causing electrical glitches ( easilyfixed ),

Tire Pressure Monitoring System ( TPMS ) Sensor batterties not lasting very long -
Triumph have been very good at replacing these even outside the usual warranty period.

Bluetooth signal strength appears to be fairly weak and prone to dropping out / interference on some bikes.

An ongoing concern about the strength of the Gear change pedal pivot bolt,
and to a lesser extent the rear brake pedal pivot, where some owners have had them shear off,
although the Jury is still out as to whether this is a common fault, ( appears at this stage that it's NOT ),
or due to the bike having previously been laid down, causing stress to the affected side.

Compared with when the Trophy was first released there are FAR fewer owners reporting issues.

One more thing that is still a concern isn't the bike itself but the Dealer network,
especiallyoutside the U.K. where some Dealers have let the Triumph brand down by providing poor service.

So when are you buying your new Trophy ?   :007:

Cheers  :821:

tweedy-bunch