Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Time for a new battery  (Read 5015 times)

Offline towersk

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy Launch
  • City / Town: Granger IN
Time for a new battery
« on: March 12, 2016, 07:23:16 pm »
The original battery is starting to get a little tired, so I'm trying to decide if I should replace it with a tried and true AGM or go with a lithium battery to get some weight off of the top right side.

Has anyone had any issues with a lithium battery?

:084: Cheers,
Ken
Cheers,
Ken

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Time for a new battery
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 08:31:42 pm »
There has been a lot of discussiin anout using lifepo batteries ad which one.  I was thinking of using one when needed.  It does say you need a different charger. 

Offline dsinned

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Jose CA
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 10:41:57 pm »
I've had no issues with my Shorai LiFePO4.  I've used it on two different bikes.  VERY lightweight and works GREAT!
Original owner of 2014 Lunar Silver Trophy SE, and 2015 Custom Silver & Black Bonneville T100.

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 02:16:34 pm »
Shorai in my TTSE is the 3rd one I've bought.  Zero problems with the first 2 so far.  Very first one is still going strong after 4+yrs in different bikes.

That OEM lead brick hanged quite a ways off TTSE's center line.  I could not wait for it to die before swapping it out.  My bike's front ride height rose by 0.25" and gained 3.6mph through the slalom course.  :038:  Downside is my tires are wearing excessively on the starboard side because the bike now lists to the left on straightline over level ground.  :138:  I may have to ride with only the right side pannier as counterweight.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline Gordon3xBBB

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2012 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stroud
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 03:47:59 pm »
I've been using Haijiu LiFePo4 batteries (from BikeIt Trade) for 2 1/2 years now in my First Generation Trophies and for over a year in my '12 TTSE when I purchased it "Used" in Jan '15...

Absolutely no problems whatsoever - but the bikes don't stay outside as a rule - so no problems with the battery suffering from extreme Cold-Soak.

I did buy a Dedicated Charger for the LiFePo4 but it's hardly ever been used.... and it would seem Newer LiFePo4 batteries are now called Lithium-Polymer (which is again different to Lithium-Ion) and it seems that "Newer" Smart Chargers are safe to use with them....

It wasn't just the weight-saving, or the super long-life (7 years or 2,000 cycles) or the superb reliability that attracted me to LiFePo4 Batteries in the first place....
I just realised that "Lead was Dead" and should have been buried or properly re-cycled years ago...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 03:50:25 pm by Gordon3xBBB »
1992 Trophy 900 MkI (aka My Lady Tracey)
1997 Trophy 900 MkII (aka My Lady Sharon)
2012 Trophy SE MkIII (aka Sophie)

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 01:00:15 pm »
The Battery University site that has lots of good information.
Serial BMW rider

Offline Fastwheels

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Orchard Lake, MI
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 10:05:50 pm »
I replaced my OEM battery with a Shorai LFX27L3-BS12 last fall.  At 4.2 lbs. it is WAY lighter than the original plus more powerful - 405 CCA.  I bought the charger from Shorai also - so much for the 3 Battery Tenders in the garage...

After reading lots of comments from users, I decided to see how well it will hold a charge, now that the battery draining radio firmware issue has been fixed.  Parked it after Thanksgiving and did not restart it until Feb 19th for a quick 15 minute ride on an unusually mild winter day.  Cranked right up, but showed low voltage for a couple of minutes. Been riding every week or two since as weather permits - no more low voltage indications.  Very pleased with it. 
2004 Honda ST 1300 - sold
2006 Suzuki M50 - sold
1983 Honda Sabre V45 - sold
1975 Honda 360 - sold

Offline towersk

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy Launch
  • City / Town: Granger IN
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 08:09:23 pm »
I went with the LFX36L3.  Since I'm spending $$ anyway, I thought the extra capacity may come in handy.  Still a great weight savings.  I also bought the Shorai charger, probably not necessary unless the battery is deeply discharged - but not a good condition for a Lithium.  Their charger looks like it charges the four battery cells independently,  which will 'balance' the cells, or keep from overcharging individual cells in the event of a deep discharge.  When I get a chance I'll instrument the charger lines and have a look at what it does.

Are you in the Detroit RAT Pack?  You can PM me off line for that.
Cheers,
Ken