Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Sena 20s with ear protection  (Read 7213 times)

Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 trophy se
  • City / Town: Cincinnati
Sena 20s with ear protection
« on: March 13, 2016, 03:59:30 pm »
I was looking for a consensus concerning the 20s and the:

1. Ability to hear the unit for audio and voice when using ear plugs
2. Audio quality  when playing music

I'm currently using a custom set of wired ear buds that i plug into my iphone. I'm attempting to go wireless and have a basic set of custom ear plugs (no speakers) that i would like to use instead. The reviews of the sena 20s note that they are the very good at getting loud enough to clearly hear when using ear plugs (reviews state "first of its kind").  I have no way to know of the quality of the  speakers that come with the unit. Getting loud is one thing. Sounding good is another. I realize that sound quality is going to be directly effected by wearing ear plugs,but i wanted to ping the members of the board who have this set up to try and get some "real world" feedback vs. what i've read in the reviews. Sounds like the 10s and 20s both do an excellent job of enabling voice communication effectively, so i'm not too concerned in that department.

any feedback would be helpful before i drop the 250 bucks.

thanks

Greygoose

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: Sena 20s with ear protection
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 11:41:25 pm »
I've worn foam earplugs with Tork speakers on my SMH10 (Torks have higher output than the Sena speakers and you can even get a small amp to boost them further), and I'm not that fond of speakers any more after using earbuds with the Sena.  All my earbuds (el cheapos) started to go bad in the last 2 months so I bought another pair of Sony cheapos at Best Buy and they sound better than my Bose that I had on loan to my wife.  They are more comfortable and smaller than the Bose too.  It helps that I'm no audiophile, and just got hearing aids 2 months ago because I'm losing some frequencies.  For a true audiophile I don't think there is a real solution while riding a motorcycle with a helmet, it will never be like sitting in your living room from what I've read on other forums.  The new Sena's are supposed to have greater volume as you stated, but I don't know about how they perform on the audio quality issue.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 12:28:50 am »
I don't personally have the 20S, but ride with friends who do. I've been riding with the SMH10 for years along with friends who last year upgraded to the 20S from the SMH10. We've talked a lot about them, and they say they've noticed no difference in speaker quality. Overall, in fact, they're not too happy with the upgrade for the price paid. They like the app pairing feature, but overall both my best riding friends who upgraded said they don't recommend I do it.

Assuming that the 20S speakers are not much better -- or even different -- than the SMH10's, this could be helpful: I personally find that the SMH10 speakers are of mediocre quality. If you're an audiophile who listens to music for most of your rides, I'd recommend your sticking with wired-in earbuds via your phone/MP3/what-have-you. However, if you're needing handsfree wireless voice command, I find the SMH10 works good. Not perfect, but good. I can usually hold a conversation either via phone or intercom at speeds up to 75mph or so -- beyond that it becomes more difficult to both hear and be heard.

As for hearing protection while using the Sena unit, I (and my friends) find that both units (20S and SMH10) sound BETTER with earplugs in, regardless of the speed or weather conditions.

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 06:06:36 pm »
I have the 20s and ride with foam earplugs.

I never had another model Sena, so I can't compare, however, the speakers are very good. At max volume, there is no distortion. Without earplugs in, the max volume is too loud to stand. I can talk on the phone with my Sena while riding on the highway without much problem.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline MikeDH

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Vienna
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 04:12:02 pm »
As a long time SMH10 user, I second plgoodard's comments about the sound quality of speakers vs. in-ear headphones. I've tried both and there simply is no comparison. But if you do buy the S20's, you would have the option of going either way since I believe out of the box you get the ability to plug your ear buds into the helmet mount instead of using the speakers (unlike the SMH-10 that requires a separate helmet clamp kit). So either way you wouldn't need to plug into your iPhone any more. Not quite wireless but perhaps a good trade-off to retain much better sound quality.
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. Albert Einstein

Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 03:10:35 am »
I decided to go with the sena 20's and tested them today. I have a set of custom molded earplugs. This sena unit puts out some nice sound. With custom molded plugs in, i needed to turn the sena volume to its max levels to get the volume i was after on the highway. It would be way too loud without plugs. I was actually hoping for a little bit more volume, but overall, the volume level is just about right at full volume.

Greygoose

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 05:15:57 pm »
I'm not familiar with how the 20 connects the speakers, but if they plug in with a 3.5mm male plug you can always buy a Tork amplifier, plug a connecting cable into the Sena, and plug the speakers into the amplifier and boost the signal more to use with your custom earplugs.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 06:34:07 pm »
they do not plug in with a 3.5. these little speaker are already pumping out a quite a bit of sound. like i said, it would be blaring without the ear plugs in. i dont think they would take kindly to an additional power source.

Greygoose

tweedy-bunch