Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Bluetooth interference  (Read 8424 times)

Offline Thunestvedt

• Trophy Member
  • Ride proud
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fitjar
Bluetooth interference
« on: March 15, 2016, 07:47:31 pm »
Last year when I bought the Cardo SHO-1, I paired it with the bluetooth sound system on my bike (Triumph Trophy 2013) Everything worked great.
This year I have tried the same, but the sound keeps coming and going. If I stand by the bike with helmet in hand, all is OK, but as soon as I try to put the helmet on (lift it up), the sound gets distorted.
When I put the helmet back down, all is OK.
This puzzles me, and I have tried pairing the bike with my G9x, and everything works.
It should be said that the bike is still in the garage waiting for spring here in Norway, so I wondered if the problem could have something to do with disturbance from electrical equipment in my garage. Let`s say; charger for my hybrid car or my batterycharger for the bike. Maybe even my WIFI network in the house. Any suggestions?
Davy Crockett MC
Triumph Trophy SE
ST 1300 (gone)
Suzuki Intruder (gone)
Kawazaki Vulcan (gone)

Offline jesse64

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Scottsdale
Re: Bluetooth interference
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 08:47:44 pm »
I'm going to guess it's interference from something in the garage.  The signal from the trophy must be weak due to it's antenna location.  I use the Sena 20s.  I have a Goldwing with a Bluetooth dongle in the glove box and it almost never cuts out.  When on the Trophy it sometimes does.  There's a lighted intersection about a mile from my house.  Whenever I am stopped at the light or passing through the bluetooth signal will cut off and on.  Always at the same location.  The Goldwing doesn't drop the signal in that spot so I can only assume it's a week signal from the Trophy.  I've complained to Triumph and the radio manufacturer but neither is willing to do anything.

Offline PaulG

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 09:57:41 pm »
I have used an Interphone F5XT and recently I got a Sena 20S.  Both units suffer interference cut outs  in the same locations on my daily commute.  The Sena is perhaps a little more effected than the Interphone.  The interference seems to occur when I am very close to cell phone towers so my guess is there is some kind of RF interference from the them.  Moving my head so the Bluetooth unit is closer to the Trophy antenna helps (ie turning my head to the right and bending closer to the bike).  This suggests that moving the Bluetooth antenna on the Trophy would solve the problem.  Unfortunately, that is beyond my abilities.

Paul

Offline jesse64

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 10:41:14 pm »
*Originally Posted by PaulG [+]
Moving my head so the Bluetooth unit is closer to the Trophy antenna helps (ie turning my head to the right and bending closer to the bike).  This suggests that moving the Bluetooth antenna on the Trophy would solve the problem.

The bluetooth antenna is actually under your butt inside the radio.  That's the really dumb part of the design.

Offline PaulG

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 11:07:00 pm »
*Originally Posted by jesse64 [+]
The bluetooth antenna is actually under your butt inside the radio.  That's the really dumb part of the design.

Yes, that's what I mean.  I try to get the Sena unit closer to the seat and particularly the right side of the seat by turning my head to the right and bending my head lower.

Paul

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 11:39:08 pm »

It's not under your butt nor in the radio; it's under your right thigh, on the outside of the frame on the right side behind the plastic fender panel (the same panel that on the left side has the heated seat switch). It's a separate unit from the radio.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline jesse64

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 11:43:41 pm »
*Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
It's not under your butt nor in the radio; it's under your right thigh, on the outside of the frame on the right side behind the plastic fender panel (the same panel that on the left side has the heated seat switch). It's a separate unit from the radio.

Where did you get that info? I exchanged emails with the radio manufacturer (not Triumph) and was told it's inside the radio.

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 05:14:25 pm »
Where did you get that info? I exchanged emails with the radio manufacturer (not Triumph) and was told it's inside the radio.

Hmm, I had the impression is was from either reading here or reading the service manual, and when I saw the module that is located where I mentioned, I assumed that was it... however, upon further inspection, I may be mistaken. The module on the right side is probably actually the XM radio module.

That being said, I can walk away from my bike 10 feet in any direction and still be connected to the bike through my headset (I do this every time I ride to open/close the garage door).
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100