6 (14%)
Don't need it.
14 (32.6%)
Can't have one due to Laws
7 (16.3%)
Thinking about getting one.
6 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: To Buy a Radar / Laser Detector or Not?  (Read 8145 times)

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
  • City / Town: Dallas TX
To Buy a Radar / Laser Detector or Not?
« on: March 16, 2016, 02:11:09 am »
What should I do Buy a Detector or Not????

I'm having a hard time with my Trophy , when I'm riding I have no sense of the speed.
So I want to be forewarned just in case.
It's hard to be a Gearhead or Mot÷rhead what ever the term , I set reminders to slow down "2SlowTrophy"
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:12:43 am by 2slowTrophy »
IBA # 59602
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue TTSE
  • City / Town: Cambridge IL
Re: To Buy a Radar / Laser Detector or Not?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 04:06:14 am »
A radar detector is useful in that when you hear/see an alert, you will then immediately look to see what speed you are going, and adjust accordingly.  It's not to assist in allowing one to speed, but to make you aware that someone is monitoring speeds, and alerting you pay attention to your own speed.

What helps me to keep my speed under control is to:
 1. Set the instruments to always show a digital speed display.
 2. Use cruise control when applicable.
2014 - Trophy SE - Pacific Blue
1988 - Honda Goldwing (Sold)

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
  • City / Town: Dallas TX
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 12:16:11 pm »
We have speed limits around here from 55 mph to 85 mph sometimes the transition to a slower speed is the hardest part and soon find myself going to fast
I don't make it a habit of driving fast , in my car is set the cruise and go.
I do have the speed setup in the digital display and it does help.

TTES14 thanks for your help.
IBA # 59602
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Appomattox, Virginia
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 01:50:31 pm »
I've never used a radar-detector for a couple reasons.   One, they're not legal here.

But even if they were, I wouldn't bother with one.    I was just riding yesterday on a hilly two-lane Federal highway, cruising at 64 mph in a 55 zone, when an oncoming truck flashed his lights at me.   Even though I've never been pulled for 9 over the limit, I backed off to 58, and sure enough there was John Law shining a radar on me over the crest of the next hill.   

Also, I use other people's radar detectors.   If I'm going down a highway and suddenly see brake lights blossoming for no apparent reason, I back off with the rest of the traffic, because sure enough, THEIR radar detectors have seen something.

And the #1 Rule For Not Getting Speeding Tickets - DON'T be passing other traffic at 10 mph faster than they're going!   If you're running with the rest of the traffic, or running by yourself with no traffic around, it's hard to get a ticket.   But IF you are passing other people with significant speed differential, or weaving through traffic, you'll get a ticket for 8 MPH over the limit just to calm you down a bit!

Lannis

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 02:29:50 am »
I have one but have not used it in 10 years.
Too many false alarms
If a laser alarm goes off it is too late.
Like Lannis i use other people.  On interstates I run a few mph over the limit and wait for a "Rabbit"  It does not take long for someone to zoom by.  I follow about 500 yards behind and watch his stop lights.
On two lanes I watch for small towns and big speed limit signs. As mentioned above, those transition areas are prime radar locations.
The last time I was stopped the officer was heading at me on a two lane.  He turned on his lights and made a U turn.  I quickly pulled over.  He gave me a lecture then asked where I was going.  I told him  and he gave me directions!  I feel if a radar detector was on the bike he would have written a ticket.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 05:27:32 pm »
I just don't speed -- it doesn't really save you any time during a commute. I suppose if I were doing a multi-hour trip I might be tempted, but it's just easier to set the cruise to 5 over.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue TTSE
  • City / Town: Cambridge IL
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 04:30:45 am »
*Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
I just don't speed -- it doesn't really save you any time during a commute. I suppose if I were doing a multi-hour trip I might be tempted, but it's just easier to set the cruise to 5 over.

I like the comment, "I just don't speed" - followed by, "It's just easier to set the cruise to 5 over".   :152:
2014 - Trophy SE - Pacific Blue
1988 - Honda Goldwing (Sold)

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 07:15:20 am »
*Originally Posted by TTSE14 [+]
I like the comment, "I just don't speed" - followed by, "It's just easier to set the cruise to 5 over".   :152:
Perhaps you're forgetting the fact that on the freeway, our speedometers are about five MPH high. So setting the cruise control to five over indicated speed means you're right at the speed limit.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

tweedy-bunch