6 (8.6%)
Yes - mileage > 20,000 miles - bike has NOT fallen over
3 (4.3%)
No - bike has NOT fallen over
38 (54.3%)
No - bike has fallen over on left side
7 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Has your gear pivot bolt sheared and when?  (Read 9982 times)

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Has your gear pivot bolt sheared and when?
« on: March 17, 2016, 12:21:09 pm »
Right, time to get some facts that might aid an informed discussion with Triumph.

A poll to find how many shift pivot bolts have failed, what mileage and if the bike has been over or not.

There is also a no option but should the unfortunate happen you are able to go back and change your vote.

No need to leave any discussion comments, that is covered elsewhere. This is purely for stats.

So we can get a more accurate read of the problem can I encourage everyone to vote even if you do not normally post messages. Would be good to have some facts to approach Triumph with to see about a better solution for us all!

Thanks,

Kevin
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
Re: Has your gear pivot bolt sheared and when?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 09:39:53 pm »
15 bikes not a great sample so far and the 20% who have suffered a sheared bolt have dropped the bike so early signs are that this might be a user inflicted failure rather than necessarily a manufacturing or design issue.

Hopefully we can get some more responses to be a more statistically accurate sample.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 10:37:07 pm »
Poll should  only ask if bike has fallen to the left.  I said "no", as my bike has only fallen to the right side.

-Don-  (on Mt. Rose, NV, hiking with the doggy).
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 01:03:33 am »
I took it as a given that as the gearshift was on the left people would realise it meant had the bike fallen on its left hand side.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 01:13:35 am »
The one who said:

"Yes - mileage > 20,000 miles - bike has NOT fallen over".

Can you think of any other reason why yours might have broke? Such as working in that area? Or would you say it broke for no apparent reason?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 08:36:52 pm »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
15 bikes not a great sample so far and the 20% who have suffered a sheared bolt have dropped the bike so early signs are that this might be a user inflicted failure rather than necessarily a manufacturing or design issue.

Thankfully I've only had a couple of bikes 'lay' down on me in all the years that I've been riding, I know of a few mates who have done the same, I don't recall of any gear levers being snapped off though.
I'd say that it's partly a design issue, if they had to go with this layout of a gear lever rather than the more basic, 'clamp on the shaft' type that's shown below, why on earth did they use such a small diameter bolt? Or at least fit crash bars of some description to offer protection??

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 09:16:32 pm »
It may not be a great design but with only 1 failure reported now in 31 votes where there appears to be no external factor I would say initially that Triumph are right in that statistically it is not that big an issue.

That said only 31 votes with a couple of hundred views and over 2,000 forum
Members is not a great sample. Come on guys. Please vote as we genuinely need a good coverage so as to get any traction with Triumph if it warrants it.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2016, 09:31:44 pm »
The thing is, it's highly likely that it will be a big issue when the bike is dropped/falls over on that side, so far the majority of the votes is 'No', the bike hasn't gone over period.

Now I'm guessing that most Trophy owners are going to be experienced motorcyclists in general so I'm not surprised by the voting so far.