Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Left power outlet loose  (Read 2096 times)

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Left power outlet loose
« on: March 18, 2016, 01:44:07 am »
This is more mechanical than electrical, as this  involves an electrical connector that still works electrically but has a mechanical problem.

The DC power outlet (the  one on the left side of engine which is always hot) became very loose after my 300 mile ride yesterday. It was fine before the ride but not after. I always use it with a battery maintainer when biker is not being ridden.

I notice this power outlet  is threaded on the outside but won't screw in.

Anybody else have this problem?  Do I have to take the bike apart to fix this thing? Is there a loose nut on the opposite side or what?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
Re: Left power outlet loose
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 02:30:03 pm »
I did not take the panel off holding the outlet, but I did feel behind it and there is a large nut threaded to the body of the outlet. Doesn't look too hard to remove the panel to have a closer look.
Serial BMW rider

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 05:47:24 pm »
I just happen to have that panel off right now because I was raising the shift lever a bit (and, well, because of the mods I'm doing, my bike is down to almost the frame)...

It's just a single bolt and two pins that connect into rubber grommets. However, I believe you need to remove the left fairing to get to it, which is a lot of stuff. Be careful with the pins, they're easy to break (I broke one and had to epoxy it).
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 06:14:43 pm »
*Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
I just happen to have that panel off right now because I was raising the shift lever a bit (and, well, because of the mods I'm doing, my bike is down to almost the frame)...It's just a single bolt and two pins that connect into rubber grommets. However, I believe you need to remove the left fairing to get to it, which is a lot of stuff. Be careful with the pins, they're easy to break (I broke one and had to epoxy it).
Thanks, those photos really explain the entire thing well.

Mine is not totally loose as I cannot pull the connector out. It must just be unthreaded by a few turns. But there seems to be no easy way to tighten it.

For now, I put  two small  tie wraps in series around the  connector  rim to hold it with some pressure. Seems firm enough for now until I have another reason to remove the left side faring.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 06:24:19 pm »
*Originally Posted by azgman [+]
I did not take the panel off holding the outlet, but I did feel behind it and there is a large nut threaded to the body of the outlet. Doesn't look too hard to remove the panel to have a closer look.
Thanks, but I could not feel anything behind mine while the bike is together.  I could not quite reach it.  But perhaps I could even fix it if I had thinner fingers.

I might try later to see if I can fit some type of tool in there to hold the nut and tighten the connector, after I t rotate the connector to the left several times, before tightening it to the right.

I need a better reason than this connector to tear the big apart!

-Don-  Reno, NV

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 11:12:41 pm »
If you do not want to take the side panel off, I would try to use a long flat blade screwdriver to hold the nut while I turned the socket to tighten it. Might hold for a while!

BTW, I just took my side panel off to fix my Stebel horn and it really is not that much work. Maybe 15 mins.
Serial BMW rider

tweedy-bunch