Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: First Ride: Dunlop Roadsmart III tyres  (Read 3794 times)

Offline 2wheeler

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
First Ride: Dunlop Roadsmart III tyres
« on: March 18, 2016, 02:09:41 pm »
It looks like there is a new option for touring bikes from Dunlop…

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/march/dunlop-roadsmart-iii/

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
Re: First Ride: Dunlop Roadsmart III tyres
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 02:44:08 pm »
Good to have choices.  Hopefully Dunlop's 3rd try is a charm.  RS1 came stock on my VFR1200 and did not impress.  I had RS2 on another ST bike and while it performed well, again didn't excel in any particular area:

Didn't have the mileage of Michelin's Pilot Road series
Didn't have the performance of Pirelli's Angel GT
Didn't have the low price of Bridgestone T30 series

To me, the T30 series give the most bang for the buck.  I just picked up a T30 GT rear 190/55 for $120.  Since I change my own tires, I don't mind changing them out a little more often than, say, the PR3/PR4s.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Offline figmonkey

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Lunar Silver TTSE 14
  • City / Town: Santa Barbara, CA
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 04:04:45 am »
FWIW: +1 on the T30's ... I like fresh tires and the T30's allow me to run more fresh rubber for the same price.

Even with the dual/tri compound games they play after a few thousand miles the rear will inevitably obtain a flattened profile; noticeably altering the turn in characteristics of the bike.

I love that smooth feel you get with fresh rubber. :038:

- fig out

Offline TRPUT

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 12:04:05 am »
Admittedly, any new rubber is going to feel good after a set of very worn Angel STs.  But, after a 530 km jaunt on the new RSIIIs, involving all types of road, wet and dry, and even one of my favourite stretches of "track", first impressions are very positive.  I wasn't pushing them in the wet as they were still very new, but no issues.  After 300 kms and back on dry roads, they were very confidence-inspiring ... and a lot of fun.  :007:

Other notes:

Quite a bit of weight used to balance the rear.
Compared with some other brands, the tread grooves are quite deep.
Dealer reckons they are good for 25000 kms ... time will tell.

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 12:16:21 am »
*Originally Posted by TRPUT [+]
Admittedly, any new rubber is going to feel good after a set of very worn Angel STs.  But, after a 530 km jaunt on the new RSIIIs, involving all types of road, wet and dry, and even one of my favourite stretches of "track", first impressions are very positive.  I wasn't pushing them in the wet as they were still very new, but no issues.  After 300 kms and back on dry roads, they were very confidence-inspiring ... and a lot of fun.  :007:

Other notes:

Quite a bit of weight used to balance the rear.
Compared with some other brands, the tread grooves are quite deep.
Dealer reckons they are good for 25000 kms ... time will tell.

G'day TRPUT,

Good feedback and what was the $AUD cost for these tyres?

I'm onto my third set of tyres for my TT SE. Originals were Angel ST (12k and wore through to the belts - quickly), PR4GT (13k feathered on the outside of the tread), currently Angel GT (12k and still looking good).

50% of my riding is two up with gear on our glorious roads in QLD (and elsewhere). Dealer claim of 25K is 'astonishing'?

BTW should catch up sometime.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline TRPUT

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 12:48:44 am »
Hi mate - we should have caught up by now - you're only just up the road.  Must work on it.  :002:

I actually nursed the Angel STs to 19400 kms.  Only solo riding but occasionally heavily loaded with panniers, top box, and a large bag of camping gear strapped to the seat.  Almost zero commuting and I look for the twisty routes with very little freeway.  I'd done a fair job of "unsquaring" the rear which must have only seen highways for its 7000 kms of previous ownership.

The RS3s were on a special for $419 F&B, which helped sway my decision to give them a go.

With where and how I ride, if 25000 kms is possible, I'll see it.  A dealer wouldn't lie ... would he?  :008:

tweedy-bunch