Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Hairpin Bends Pratice routes  (Read 2429 times)

Offline loads of miles

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Silver
  • City / Town: Welwyn Garden City
Hairpin Bends Pratice routes
« on: May 20, 2013, 08:25:36 PM »
Hairpins ! HELP
 Am off, two up on our silver SE to Switzerland in Sept doing all the passes etc ,so would like some pratice on really tight bends / hairpins .The only time I dont feel totally confident is at really low speeds .  Anyone suggest any good routes to pratice.
.Live in Welwyn Garden City about 25 miles north of London just of A1  but am willing to travel as  it would be a good excuse to ride the beast > Any Suggestions pleas fellow TT riders ( silver or blue I dint mind ;-)

thanks all for i know you will answer
loads of miles

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
Re: Hairpin Bends Pratice routes
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 08:44:01 PM »
Corkscrew hill, the Burren, Co. Clare. After that, you're ready for the Stelvio pass!
Caoimhín

Offline mrtoad

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue TT SE
  • City / Town: Oxford
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 11:13:39 PM »
i had the same thought. The turning circle of the TT seems to be less than my previous bike, R1200RT. TT is better in all respects, but wondered how this would effect things, 2 up and loaded with luggage. Im near Oxford, and the closest we have to a hairpin is the M40

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bradford
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 01:05:18 AM »
This is the naughty stretch in the pennines.

It is worse than the pictures suggest!  :005:
Might as well as wish we had.

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 01:06:38 AM »
More

Offline coneye

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 01:25:10 AM »
 Mate only one thing to do and thats practice ,, I've got a big rocket tourer .  i lowered it ,  and put risers on it which changed the dynamics of the bike  and for me made  u turns , and tight hairpins , difficult , so i practiced  and practiced   u turns and figure  eights ,,   no problems now   even fully loaded  with the wife on the back , then were looking at 400 kilo of bike , myself 97 klo  the missis 70 odd kilo  and  if she leaves the kitchen sink at home probably only  35-40 kilo of luggage ., On my own its  now has easy has my bonneville , so much so  i'm thinking i don't even need the bonnie any more

It was scary at first , but now  after practice and practice its easy ,  Oh and don't  forget to   use the throttle  , when your  doing the real slow tight stuff ,  throttle and clutch  with a bit of back brake ,  , i  found   at first  i was intimidated and would tend to go TOO SLOW .

Believe me   just practice the U turns gradually tightening the turn  go to a carpark  turn in say 3 park spaces and   decrease it to  2  then try one ,,  do lots of figure eights and you will get there  and like i said when your coming up to a tight hairpin ,  don't slow down that much you fall off,, keep the bike moving  and only use your back brake , it will  help you come round .

Maybee  a visit to a advanced riders course will help , it will probably be fun ,   and could help save a lot of money ,if your not used to big bikes and drop it . Go for rides with local clubs and watch how others aproach and take the bends .. i know myself i love riding with others i watch and TRY to learn EVERY time i go out ,, sometimes i only learn how NOT to do things , but at least its learning

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 01:36:12 AM »
I found no trouble at all getting round the hairpins, just had to make sure I was in a low gear to start with, the worry was the fact that the road was only single track and the thought of meeting a car coming the opposite way was the main issue, particularly if I had met it right on the hairpin where the camber is so steep. You are right though that the clue is to keep a decent speed up, going too slow spells danger. The Trophy is pretty good round bends considering its weight and if you can see well ahead it is fine, just watch out for gravel. :005:

Offline Trophy 59

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE, XV750 Bobber
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 02:16:23 AM »
Coneye is right, throttle, clutch and a little back brake, and a car park is all you need. I was a police motorcyclist for ten years, the most enduring lesson for me was figure eights. If you can turn the bike within the space of two car park spaces, you can do it on a suburban street, or any hairpins.

This bike turns on a hair trigger, and has had me on the ground once from a stopped position. I think I better take my own advice, and go out to the car park. :034:
Don't grow up, it's a trap...

tweedy-bunch