Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Use of audio wihout the engine running  (Read 4502 times)

Offline Nick999

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph trophy SE
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Use of audio wihout the engine running
« on: March 21, 2016, 12:37:44 pm »
Hi all,
I know I have seen in here somewhere a thread about using the audio system in the garage while working on other projects
The problem I have is that while the ignition is switched on to use the audio system, the other systems on the bike are live. (Coils etc) as it is expecting the starter to be pushed any moment.
Also, unless the engine kill switch is pressed, the alarm wants to activate every 45 seconds.
Is there an easier way to do this?
Thanks
Nick
History (some of it shameful...)
KE100, RD350, RD250, RD350, RG250, KR1S, RG500, CB400A, CB750, CBR1000, Hayabusa, FJR1300, Triumph Trophy SE

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
Re: Use of audio wihout the engine running
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 03:37:48 pm »
Buy a separate radio for the garage for $20?

With regard to the bike specifically, no... everything is charged up and ready to go with the ignition on; leave it like that too long and the battery will eventually drain low enough to require charging.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Nick999

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph trophy SE
  • City / Town: Gloucester
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 03:50:26 pm »
Thanks, thought as much. It is on the optimiser (battery tender) anyway, so not worried about it going flat.
Cheers.
Nick
History (some of it shameful...)
KE100, RD350, RD250, RD350, RG250, KR1S, RG500, CB400A, CB750, CBR1000, Hayabusa, FJR1300, Triumph Trophy SE

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 05:42:08 pm »
*Originally Posted by Nick999 [+]
Hi all,
I know I have seen in here somewhere a thread about using the audio system in the garage while working on other projects
The problem I have is that while the ignition is switched on to use the audio system, the other systems on the bike are live. (Coils etc) as it is expecting the starter to be pushed any moment.
Also, unless the engine kill switch is pressed, the alarm wants to activate every 45 seconds.
Is there an easier way to do this?
Thanks
Nick
I don't know about the alarm, but if the kill switch works to silence it, there's no issue. 

The ignition coils are NOT activated until the crank turns in all modern electronic ignition systems ( All it takes is the starter motor to activate the coils). The entire ignition system is OFF until the crank moves.

So it doesn't hurt to leave the ignition on without the engine running (in any modern vehicle, such as the TTSE).  The only issue is the front center lamp between the headlights  is on, which draws some extra current, but not all that much. With a well charged battery to start with, you should be able to use the radio for at least an hour with no issues with the ignition on.  I have done such and mentioned it here, so I assume it was my message you saw. I listened to the TTSE's XM radio the entire time it took me to install my Touratech GPS lock.

We could even listen to the radio even  longer on battery power if we could turn off that center light. Or if we can get a LED replacement for it.

And I did NOT have my battery tender connected when I listened to the radio for around an hour. And I used the windshield motor several times too. Bike started up fine when I was done.

-Don-  Reno, NV

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 05:54:10 pm by DonTom »
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 07:22:34 pm »
The workshop manual does state not to leave the ignition turned on without the engine running, damage may occur.
I assumed that they were referring to the ignition coils burning out???

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 09:54:23 pm »
*Originally Posted by earthman [+]
The workshop manual does state not to leave the ignition turned on without the engine running, damage may occur.
I assumed that they were referring to the ignition coils burning out???
I don't buy it.  I don't believe everything I read in the service manual. 

-Don-  Lockwood, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 10:23:53 pm »
Well, something is making a TON of noise right on top of the engine with the ignition turned on, without the engine running. I thought it was the fuel pump, but I have the gas tank sitting on the floor in my garage, so it's not that. The only thing left that I can think of that would make that kind of noise is the coils. A bunch of relays also click on, and your GPS is running if it's connected.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 01:23:01 am »
*Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
Well, something is making a TON of noise right on top of the engine with the ignition turned on, without the engine running. I thought it was the fuel pump, but I have the gas tank sitting on the floor in my garage, so it's not that. The only thing left that I can think of that would make that kind of noise is the coils. A bunch of relays also click on, and your GPS is running if it's connected.
Coils don't make noise, so it's not that.

The GPS DC power is an output  from the audio module, but the GPS can be shut off anyway.

If you find out what is making the noise, please let me know. Some relays I would expect energized  for various functions (such as the fuel pump relay). But the FP  should shut off at the normal pressure.

I wonder why there is no accessory position on the TTSE. But IMO, it's not really all that needed. But I am surprised the manual says don't  keep the ignition on with engine not runingt after they refuse to give an accessory  position,

Anyway, I have listened to the radio many times with the ignition on without the engine running.  But I can't anymore because of a modification I made to shut off the audio menu drain when the key is out. Since it defaults to exactly what I want when the engine is started, I decided to leave it that way instead of updating the audio software. After all, I do have other radios including a XM radio that I move around.

I don't recall the noises other than what I thought was the fuel pump, just like you. Now I am curious what is left on. Whatever it is, I serious doubt it will be harmed. Like I said, I have listened to my radio many times in the past without the engine running. And for an hour at times.

-Don-  Reno, NV