Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Does anyone have trouble maintaining a charge in a SENA SMH10R  (Read 3050 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Trophy, 06 Tiger
  • City / Town: Gretna, LA
Hi all,

I purchased a SENA SMH10R and I am having trouble maintaining a charge.   Problem:  I bought it a year ago, I got deployed, and just fired it up.   
When its connected to the wall outlet I can turn it on.  I hear it say "hello" and all is good.  However, when I disconnect it the lights go off.   

I will reread the directions again.  I read a SENA review and it seems that it may be a common issue. 

Do the batteries go bad often/from anyone's experience.   

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.  Cheers BC
Big Country

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have trouble maintaining a charge in a SENA SMH10R
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 05:31:25 pm »
Sorry for the double tap. 

FYI, I just called Revzilla to see if it was a common issue....   The said that SENA has a two year warranty and they may replace it.   I'm going to make sure I'm not suffering from opposable thumb syndrome before I tear it all down.   

Wanted to share.

"Information gained and not shared is information wasted."
Big Country

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 09:07:46 pm »
I am dissapointed with the build quality one of mine stopped holding a charge and then stopped working while on power AND the wiring broke right near the unit. It was the ear bud version.  I have given up with sena and wonder about the interphone.  It got a good review on ride this month.  And searching here it seems to work with the trophy

Offline dlrph

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 triumph trophy
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 09:25:50 pm »
I have had an SMH-10 installed on my Shoei helmet for over 4 years and it still works as well(holds a charge) as the day I installed it.

My wife's unit, however, did eventually stop holding a charge after about 3 years, and it was used less than mine.

Overall I think Sena builds a good product for a reasonable price, although can't say I'm happy with the 10S model I bought to replace the SMH 10. Don't know if anyone else is having a problem but the 10S will not link to the TTSE Bluetooth, either headset or device 2. Says it's linked but sound (music) drops off after a few seconds. Sena technical support doesn't know what's wrong.

Has anyone had any luck linking the 10S?

Thx

Offline csquared

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Springboro, OH
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 11:59:57 pm »
My SMH10R has worked flawlessly for the past 2 years. A full charge will last all day (10 to 12 hours) listening to music and using the intercom. My riding buddy's 20S charge only lasts about 8 hours before it quits. We are lucky that the battery is replaceable.
Every day is a Saturday when you're retired!

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 02:33:57 am »
I came home today and tested the charge.   Pulled the power source out and nothing, nada....   I replaced the power source and the red and blue light came on.   Simultaneously, Revzilla sent me the return info.   The plan is to return/replace.  If it happens again I may go with the NOLAN ready system. 

My friends all love their SENAs so this is an anomaly - I hope. Cheers
Big Country

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 02:25:02 pm »
That's a strange one, mine is over 4 years old and except for needing to do a factory reset once for pairing issues it still works well.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 02:54:34 pm »
Yep, I'm convinced it's pretty much a "charge holding" issue.   When the power source is direct from the outlet - all systems work.   I talked to Revzilla about that and asked if it was just a battery replacement thing and he is the one that suggested doing a turn-in.    I was really happy they allowed that after almost a year.   
Big Country