Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TPMS ?  (Read 2594 times)

Offline kniterider

• Trophy Pro
  • Dont smoke, gamble or drink BUT I DO RIDE
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14 TTSE 86 GL1200
  • City / Town: Dunkirk, Md
TPMS ?
« on: March 24, 2016, 01:27:22 am »
Ok I have been having the low bat warning on my TPMS sensors for a while now.  Last week I got the dreaded red light and a pretty quick pressure drop indication.  I pulled over on side of the dark highway , and dug out my kit.  with flashlight I found the 3 inch skinny screw in the rear tread area.  remoed it from the now deflated tire.  dug out my dreaded plugging strips that I loathe. because my replacement mushroom kit has not arrived yet.  Plugged it .. and then filled it with can of fix a flat to 28 psi.  Made it home with red light on but showing a constant 28 to 29 psi.   next day I now have NO READING AT all for rear tire and no red light.. ANY IDEAS
A nasty weather day riding is still better than any day working

Offline Aharbi

• Trophy Pro
  • Retired and riding
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Austin Texas
Re: TPMS ?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 03:55:07 am »
I've blown out two of those mushroom pluggers. Give me those dreaded plugging strips anytime. Never lost one and have run tires to it's normal end of life. Toss those little CO2 cartridges away too, get a slime compressor.
Best regards; Art

Offline kniterider

• Trophy Pro
  • Dont smoke, gamble or drink BUT I DO RIDE
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14 TTSE 86 GL1200
  • City / Town: Dunkirk, Md
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 04:07:32 am »
I keep a compressor in my bike,, But I my experience is the complete opposite   never had any luck with those straight stips,, BUT I do use the good mushrooms  with the vulcanizing rubber sides to them.. If you blew them out you might have used the small ones without the vulcanizing sides  They come in 2 sizes,,And the cheap plugs are all black,  no vulcanizing sides. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 04:13:42 am by kniterider »
A nasty weather day riding is still better than any day working

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 10:51:15 am »
You used the can stuff to put into your tire?
If I remember right your TPMS does not like that
sort of stuff.

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: NE Florida
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 11:02:23 am »
*Originally Posted by DaMonk45 [+]
You used the can stuff to put into your tire?
If I remember right your TPMS does not like that
sort of stuff.

DaMonk, I would hazard to guess that Aharbi is probably referring to the brand name - Slime makes tire inflators and pressure gauges.
IBA #69644

Offline Aharbi

• Trophy Pro
  • Retired and riding
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Austin Texas
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 12:56:11 pm »
*Originally Posted by brenchley [+]
DaMonk, I would hazard to guess that Aharbi is probably referring to the brand name - Slime makes tire inflators and pressure gauges.
Correct, thanks. Was talking about the compressor only. So now my tire repair consists of 3 various kits. Gooey rope plugs (2 types), combo CO2/ hand pump, Slime compressor with gooey rope plugs & tools. So of course I haven't had a flat on the Trophy, or any bike since. But rest assured I leave the repait kit at home I'll get a flat. BTW I've had 4 flats (1 front, 3 rear) on the bikes. I'll plug a front to get home then replace the tire. The rear I'll run till it's wore out and needs replaced. Also, all the flats have been with "new" tires typically less than 1,000 miles. Go figure.
Best regards; Art

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 02:02:04 pm »
To answer your question have you inflated the tyre properly and do you get the front pressure reading.  I take it you are saying you no longer get the low battery warning but get nothing at all.  Could mean the battery has finally given up the ghost Or the nail or the under inflated tyre has damaged the sender?  At least it lasted long enough to give you a warning.  I had a puncture and was glad of the warning also like you could monitor the pressure after fixing to make sure it was holding.  Great peace of mind.

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 02:58:23 pm »
How effective any tire plug is depends on where on the tire that puncture happens to be.  I've repaired with string type plugs punctures that were on the raised tread area near the center of the tire, and had no problem riding on them normally for quite a while afterwards.  OTOH, with punctures that hit on the tread groove, I've been barely able to make the tire hold pressure enough to limp home, all the while still leaking air.

Even with a good repair, I would "derate" the tire's speed rating in my own mind, and not be as "care-free" with the bike as I would otherwise on non-repaired tires.  Also, I would change out the tire much sooner than with non-damaged tires.  The thinner you wear the tread down, the less integrity that repair plug has.  If you have ever changed your own tire and have seen just how thin a worn-out tire carcass is, you'll know what I'm talking about.

As to why the TPMS has no reading after the repair, I would say ride for a little while and see if the reading reappears.  I've had on another bike the ABS warning light after limping on a flat rear tire, and it took a bit of riding after a new rear tire was installed for that "error code" to clear itself.  Not sure how the TTSE does it, but I would let it go for a while before deciding on next troubleshooting step.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).