Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Engine cuts out when a gear selected  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Kev Court

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: Caistor
Engine cuts out when a gear selected
« on: March 24, 2016, 06:25:58 am »
Bike has been in garage over winter. It starts and runs fine but when I select a gear it cuts out on centre stand. I've cleaned the side stand plunger and that seems fine, with the red warning light going on & off when side stand operated. I've also wd40 on the little plunger behind the clutch lever but it's the same. Anyone any ideas?? Bank holiday weekend grrrrrrr. Kev
Kev Court

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: Engine cuts out when a gear selected
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 06:16:26 pm »
*Originally Posted by Kev Court [+]
Bike has been in garage over winter. It starts and runs fine but when I select a gear it cuts out on centre stand. I've cleaned the side stand plunger and that seems fine, with the red warning light going on & off when side stand operated. I've also wd40 on the little plunger behind the clutch lever but it's the same. Anyone any ideas?? Bank holiday weekend grrrrrrr. Kev
I would expect a high resistance  connection somewhere, just because it's been sitting a long time, and probably NOT a switch (the movement on the switches after a long time sitting should be enough for them to clean enough to work again).

Instead of a lot  troubleshooting, I would first try disconnecting the battery and replacing everything that has a connection that you can get to, such as every fuse and relay that you can get to and put everything back and see what happens. The problem might not even seem logical with such a complicated bike. But a little corrosion under some connection somewhere  is what I would expect just because the bike has been sitting a long time.

Good luck.

-Don- Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Engine cuts out when a gear selected
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 08:30:14 am »
Kev :

I have done a bit more research on this for you .....
I suspect you are the owner of one of the previous models of Triumph Trophy !

This forum is dedicated to the "new" Trophy released in 2012.

PLEASE CONFIRM which Model / Year Trophy you have.

Some earlier models ( such as the Trophy from VIN 29156 ) also incorporated a RELAY
into the Side Stand switch circuit, and a faulty relay could also be causing your problem.

These earlier Models DID have a Warning light that came on when the Side Stand was down.
( I can't remember now but it was built into either the Speedo or Tacho head
and was a red coloured mini image of a side stad in the dwn position ! ).

So, IF your Trophy was an earlier Model, I would suspect a faulty Relay,
but I cannot offer any further help as to it's location,
other than seeing if you can trace the wiring back to it,
and maybe consulting Members of another Forum - try Googling "triumphrat.net/trophy 3 & 4"

You can also obtain a Service Manual with Wiring Diagrams here : Manuals Library

tweedy-bunch