Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Coolant Replacement - Fuel Tank Removal?  (Read 11695 times)

Offline CrazyCanuck

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Toronto
Coolant Replacement - Fuel Tank Removal?
« on: March 26, 2016, 05:33:48 pm »
Manual says to remove the fuel tank....really, is that needed...yikes, that would be a say job on the TTSE.

has anyone changed/flushed the coolant without removing the tank.

Gord

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
Re: Coolant Replacement - Fuel Tank Removal?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 02:16:15 pm »
I was doing the cam timing and valve adjustment when it was time for my coolant change.  Part of the routine is running the engine temp cooling down, and refilling. Fuel tank needs to be partially installed. After removing the plastic tubs, I suppose you could add coolant to the radiator fill with a flexible hose and funnel, or maybe a pump. Let us know if you try. The worse thing to happen is you need to remove more parts as you go down the road of discovery.

Offline CrazyCanuck

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Toronto
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 02:58:14 pm »
Yes, will see if it is possible without entirely removing the tank.  I am only at 14,000 KM's but as it is a 2013 am at 3 years.   So, hate to take the tank off only for the coolant (could change the air filter I guess).

Also read in the service manual you need to "With the aid of an assistant, lean the motorcycle fully over to the right hand side, and then the left hand side, to release air trapped in the cooling system."....really, good thing the bike is only 800 lbs  :002:

Offline towersk

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy Launch
  • City / Town: Granger IN
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 03:19:25 pm »
Do you have a DealerTool to check the throttle body balance?  Since you are into it that far, adjusting the throttle bodies isn't much additional work.  Mine is also do for a coolant change, and the throttle body balance is just outside of the spec.  I'll get to mine in a week or two, when I have a few spare days to work on it.

I'm not sure about leaning the bike fully to either side, with a few heat up cool down cycles I'm hoping any trapped air will come out.  I plan on measuring the amount of coolant that drained out and comparing to the amount that I put back in. Otherwise, I'll have to find a few strong neighbors to assist.
Cheers,
Ken

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 04:25:25 pm »
Removing the gas tank is actually pretty easy. The only really "hard" part is draining the gas from the tank. With two pair of these: http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4506-Fuel-Line-Clamp/dp/B002YKHRUK?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage it's not a big deal at all.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline towersk

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy Launch
  • City / Town: Granger IN
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 02:54:17 pm »
Just changed the coolant and balanced the throttle bodies on mine.  The clamps that AZBob found work a treat.  I bought two pair from eBay, clamp off each of the four transfer lines and you will spill very little fuel.  Also you don't need to disconnect the high pressure fuel hose from the tank, there is a quick release on the fuel rail end.  Slide the orange lock down and press in on both side of the connector, it will slide right off.  Also the lock on the fuel pump connector is released buy squeezing in the top side of the connector - facing the engine side.

No issues with bleeding the air out of the cooling system, I just opened the bleeder on the top right of radiator and the air bubbled out during refilling.  There is actually more coolant in the engine that in the radiator, drain screw on front left side of the block.

After refilling with Zerex G-05 I ran the bike for about a minute and rechecked the radiator level, only needed a few ounces, then ran until about two bars on the temperature gauge, making sure that both hoses were warm along with the radiator, and again only had to add about an ounce of coolant.  Ran it to temperature again until the fans turned on and off several times during which I balanced the throttle bodies.

One nasty issue - when I tried to remove the radiator drain screw, the entire fitting twisted out of the radiator.  :233:  Very little torque on the wrench, maybe 12 NM or so.  It looked like very little weld bond area between the fitting and radiator tank.  Actually it was very easy to remove the drain screw from the broken fitting, so I'm thinking a manufacturing issue.  At least the dealer was able to send me a replacement radiator in a day and a half, along with a hefty invoice.

The whole job in not real difficult, just very time consuming removing the body panels and the rest of the fixings to remove the tank.  Everything is easy to access and everything went back together easily.  Since there is so much time involved removing the tank and refitting it temporarily you may as well balance the throttle bodies, replace the spark plugs, and change the air filter at the same time.

I'll post pictures and throttle balance info in the 'How To' section
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 03:04:18 pm by towersk »
Cheers,
Ken

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Southern Ohio
UView Airlift 550000
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 06:43:37 pm »
Has anyone tried one of these yet on the TTSE? I know they work very well on cars and the Wing, no air pockets, no burping fills the entire system in seconds.

http://youtu.be/FQnfUe6P5VI

Offline Stumpyone

• Trophy Pro
  • One life.....live it
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
  • City / Town: Havant
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 04:39:23 pm »
Hi Guys,

is the tank easy to get to for removal?? thinking of stripping my bike down to investigate a possible air leak around the injection area so will need to remove the tank I guess

what ya reckon?
TTSE 2017... Blue - the new Red!!!
CBF1000
Vmax
FJ1200
Maxim 650