Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Valve Clearance Shim Configurator  (Read 6386 times)

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
Valve Clearance Shim Configurator
« on: March 29, 2016, 12:36:52 am »
I just finished my valve adjustment and cam timing at 26,000 miles. My TTSE had the head work performed by the dealer at about 6,000 miles. I cant say that the engine was ever real quiet, even after the head work was performed. After living through the ignition switch harness misroute caused by the dealer it was an easy decision for me to perform the valve adjust and cam timing. The cost of the parts and the special Triumph tools still puts me below the cost of what many of you had paid a dealership for this service. I understand, labor cost money. I was in no hurry, took lots of time making sure everything was perfect. I spent even more time correctly re-routing other miss-routed wire harness's that put a severe strain on the right side switch box when turning to lock. I found miscellaneous clips not attached, and hydraulic lines, that where no longer in their designated clamps, and a fuel line rubbing on a bolt head. Really very happy I performed the work my self, to find and correct these potential problems. Made the coolant change as well finding the proper antifreeze on Amazon, as suggested on this forum. Using the "dealer tool", I tweaked the throttle body balance. They where not really unbalanced. Went through the motions. You have to remove the air box to balance the throttle bodies. Don't forget to remove the map sensor from the air box and reconnect the sensor to its proper vacuum line and harness plug.  Otherwise, you will be wondering why the balance graph on the Dealer tool is empty.
Three of my intake valves where too tight per spec. Four of the exhaust valves where too tight per spec.
I needed to order a crankshaft cover gasket as it was not included in the Triumph head kit that is purchased for the purpose of valve adjustment service. I replaced the one timing chain slipper block that is on the chain tensioner side. I am VERY pleased with the end results. Odd, my valves where all on the tight side prior to adjustment. Apparently it wasn't excessive valve lash causing the valve train to sound loud. My engine is quieter and smoother than I ever remember it being.

I made a Microsoft Excel application that will determine the correct shims needed to properly adjust your valve clearance, count and list the shim sizes you need with the Triumph part number required. (Does not work with Open Office, probably due to macro routines)
I don't know how to post it. Even if I did, I think "Coconut" should get the file first, play with it, run some valve clearances, and shim numbers through it, and see what he thinks.  (Coconut contact me if interested) He can then make it available on the forum to all of you, who would like it to use.  As always, assume the normal disclaimer, use at your own risk type of preamble. Even if you use it just to double check your own calculations.  Additional comment, I set my valves to the loose side of the specification. Valve clearance will only grow tighter.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 01:36:25 am by nert »

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: Valve Clearance Shim Configurator
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 02:56:33 am »
Pretty much the same experience here. Eight valves tight, two very much so. I also set mine to the "loose" side. A slappy tappy is  a happy tappy  :008:

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 06:17:44 am »
Hi nert,

Sounds like you you did a good job  :028:

I'm quite happy to have a look at your Spreadsheet, check it's functionality and provide Feedback,
but note that I have no personal experience of adjusting valves on the Trophy !

Files can be attached to Forum Posts, but NOT ".xls" or ".xlsx" ( Excel ) spreadsheets.
".csv" ( Comma Separated Value ) files can be attached ( which can be be saved and opened in Excel ) -
just use the "Attach:" feature which you will find below every Message Posting window.

An alternative would be to upload your Excel Spreadsheet to a File Sharing site such as "Dropbox"
and then, in your Forum message, post a link to it  :169:

Cheers  :821:

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 12:09:25 pm »
Valve shim calculator for Triumph Trophy here.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/odhzde3m8sgv3rl/TT%20Valve%20adjust.xls?dl=0
Someone let me know if it is accessible from Dropbox, and if it works.
thank you
Enjoy

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 02:50:30 pm »
Hi again,

Yes it's accessible on Dropbox from that link  :169:

I'm out & about on the iPhone right now
but will try and have a look at it properly this evening  :028:

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 09:15:31 pm by Coconut »

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 02:58:10 pm »
Thanks Nert!
Serial BMW rider

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 04:51:26 pm »
Nicely done!  I appreciate all the work involved.

Unfortunately I can not edit the valve gap.  I enabled editing however the entire sheet is protected and I do  not have the password.

2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 05:30:41 pm »
That was my intention. If I allow editing of the valve clearance, that leaves some potential for error.
Calculating to the larger gap within specification is the better adjustment. Valves do grow tighter with miles, less chance of burnt seat or valve margin. The shims come in .025mm increments. There are only (2) .025 steps between the loose and tight specification. You wont hear any difference by being .025mm or .00098425 of an inch tighter or looser. Still within specifications, And your valves will be happier for it. I suppose if users want that capability, I can do that.

tweedy-bunch