Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 1st ride of reasonable distance after purchase. Initial thoughts.  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Nick999

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph trophy SE
  • City / Town: Gloucester
Rode from Gloucestershire to Cornwall on Friday last week. Great weather, and a bank holiday so nose to tail traffic jam for 55 miles. Great. I am however a firm believer that filtering on a bike for 50 miles will teach you an awful lot about the way it handles and works.
Surprisingly good for such a big bike. The ability to play Fleetwood Mac at massive volume to all the people sitting still in their cars was a huge bonus.  :745:
Rode back on Saturday with appallingly bad weather.
Two very minor things, but I discovered that neither my heated grips or seats are appearing on the display. Call in to the dealer to sort that already though. Also, despite saying that I didn't want them I appear to have the TPMS fitted. I suspect it was already on the bike as a manufacturer's install when it was sent to the showroom. I just haven't had to pay for it. However. Whenever I stopped on the way back (Pouring with rain), the warning light would come on. I think this is probably to do with the rapid cooling of the tyre through being cold and wet and hence a drop in pressure. Took it seriously the first time and ignored it after that. This is why I told them I didn't want it fitted...
Handled very well in the wind and rain on the saturday when I rode home in biblically bad weather. The bike didn't miss a beat. I was soaked. No amount of good aerodynamics or rider protection would have kept that much water off. I was however warm enough, despite the ext temp being only 8 degrees. The heated seat and grips were excellent.
The luggage kept all of the water out. The cruise control worked extremely well. Little bit jerky on the up and down button presses to adjust speed, but otherwise easy to use and predictable.
The sound system is great up to about 60. Fairly hopeless after that. Works much better if you are able to ride wit your visor up, (ie good warm weather), but not much good with the visor sealed. Useless for radio where you need to hear speech. Ok with music you know.
The front screen worked well to keep the water off my chest, but the drops fly off the top edge and hit my helmet which then run down my neck. Again. Can't expect too much. The weather was bloody awful.
The power delivery is smooth, predictable, and pleasing. Even more so, given that I am only able to go up to 6000 rpm at its present level of running in.
No major issues to report. The alarm is still driving me mad, but otherwise all good.
Cheers
Nick

{Edit : Title edited Trophy Moderator }

« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:14:23 pm by Trophy Moderator »
History (some of it shameful...)
KE100, RD350, RD250, RD350, RG250, KR1S, RG500, CB400A, CB750, CBR1000, Hayabusa, FJR1300, Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Appomattox, Virginia
Re: 1st ride of reasonable distance after purchase. Initial thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 02:21:13 pm »
I just had my break-in service done so have only 800 miles on the bike, but planning a 2200 mile trip in May so we ought to bond then!

Sounds like you know the worst of how it performs in bad weather and it did well, I'm glad to hear that, only sunny days for me so far but that will change once I get out on the long road.

Ride careful!

Lannis
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:14:49 pm by Trophy Moderator »

Offline neilacwilson

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE in black
  • City / Town: Potters Bar
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 08:45:23 pm »
Nick999 I too found the stereo not much use at my typical cruising speed using the external speakers... Not to mention that seeing bikes pass me with music blaring out is, well, you know...
So I've paired up my Bluetooth headset and now the stereo is useable at any speed. Easy to do, too. The iPod connection also works pretty well, if you like that sort of thing.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:15:12 pm by Trophy Moderator »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 12:27:15 am »
You must have wide lanes to filter on a wide bike like the trophy.

get some good Gore-tex gear.  I have ridden in the remnants of a hurricane and stayed dry.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:15:33 pm by Trophy Moderator »

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Appomattox, Virginia
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 10:08:48 pm »
Would love to be able to "filter" as in the UK but no can do aqui en los EUA .....

Lannis

Offline Nick999

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 10:19:11 pm »
I am glad somebody knows where the button is and edited the title of this. I looked for ages but couldn't find it. It was driving me mad.
Thanks.
KE100, RD350, RD250, RD350, RG250, KR1S, RG500, CB400A, CB750, CBR1000, Hayabusa, FJR1300, Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Trophy Moderator

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 09:12:32 am »
Forum Announcements : Post Edit Changes

Please note that it's now only possible to edit your posts for 60 minutes once you've posted it.
( There's no "EDIT" button - look for one labelled "MODIFY" ).

Trophy Moderator

Offline Nick999

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 09:35:46 am »
Great. Thank you. I only noticed my typo's about a day later. Did it in a hurry...
More speed less haste!
Thanks
Nick