Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Thinking of getting a used trophy  (Read 6244 times)

Offline lapwing55

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: BMW F800GT
  • City / Town: Oswestry
Thinking of getting a used trophy
« on: March 30, 2016, 03:37:49 pm »
Hello all

Not sure if it is OK to join forum when I do not have a Trophy. I am thinking about a used Trophy SE. Would welcome guidance on servicing costs, fueling and wondering whether I will be tall enough for it at 5' 8". I do 12 K a year all year round so would like a bike I can tour on rather than do everything on like I do now. I guess the Trophy is too big for town  and city commuting anyhow?

Thank you.

Gary

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
Re: Thinking of getting a used trophy
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 04:24:10 pm »
Hi Gary, welcome aboard, no need to own a Trophy to join, you'll find a lot of information here that, hopefully, will help you in making the right choice! Use the "search" function to find all the topics related to the questions you might have, if you do not find the proper answer, just ask!
Trophy is a big beast, granted, but as soon as it rolls the weight is forgotten, filtering with the panniers on needs some training but it's doable and the panniers can be removed, the bike is much thinner then
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: NE Florida
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:49:38 pm »
Hello, Gary - welcome to the forum!  :400:  I'm 5'9", only an inch taller than you, and ride with the low seat with no problems.  I'm a year-round, daily rider, in town and city, rural, semi-rural and highways.  About the only qualifier is that I prefer paved road.   :002:  Regarding fueling, I typically get a little over 50 miles to the gallon and generally fill up at around the 250 mile mark though I've had a few 300 mile treks before filling up.  Maintenance is every 10,000 miles after the initial service.  Not sure what you would pay in your area for maintenance.
IBA #69644

Offline Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 05:07:18 pm »
Hi Gary , welcome to the forum  :401:, there's a few of us here that ditched the Break My Wallet's for the Trophy and have never looked back,  just remember to take your credit card, if you go for a `test ride'  -   to pay the deposit, ........ :821:
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 06:34:03 pm »
*Originally Posted by lapwing55 [+]
Hello all

Not sure if it is OK to join forum when I do not have a Trophy. I am thinking about a used Trophy SE. Would welcome guidance on servicing costs, fueling and wondering whether I will be tall enough for it at 5' 8". I do 12 K a year all year round so would like a bike I can tour on rather than do everything on like I do now. I guess the Trophy is too big for town  and city commuting anyhow?

Thank you.

Gary

:401:

I think most join this forum before buying their new Trophy. I was here for a couple of months before I bought mine. What better way to find out about what you're thinking about buying?

BTW, every forum I have been in only requires an interest in what the forum is about. Ownership not required.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 06:41:46 pm »
*Originally Posted by lapwing55 [+]
. I guess the Trophy is too big for town  and city commuting anyhow?
Gary
It's fine at slow speeds and such, IMO.  Seems much like any other bike in traffic.

But it seems several have dumped their TTSE below a few MPH, so don't let it lean too far when moving very slow (under 5 MPH). And I recommend the crash bars, even though they are costly.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 07:03:21 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum. Go on take the test ride. don't forget your wallet  :017:
It wasn't me !!

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 07:18:11 pm »
Hi Lapwing and welcome :400:

Perfectly OK to join the forum as this is the best place on the web to get help and advice on the best biking decision you will ever make!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

tweedy-bunch