Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Triumph OEM GPS mount.  (Read 7392 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Trophy, 06 Tiger
  • City / Town: Gretna, LA
Triumph OEM GPS mount.
« on: March 31, 2016, 06:33:52 pm »
Hi Gents,
  I am contemplating purchasing the Triumph GPS mount for my 550 Garmin.  I'm currently using a RAM mount fixed to the handlebar.  It works "okay".   So, I wanted something that sits more forward and in my line of sight.   I was looking at the assembly directions online.  It depicts that I would have to disconnect the XM antenna/wires, install the GPS bracket, and then reassemble the XM radio wires and attach the XM antenna to the newly mounted GPS bracket. 

Questions. 

Has anyone done this?   
Is there any negative effect on the radio(s)
How is the power reconfigured?  Meaning, would I still apply my GPS through the USB/or 12 socket or set up a hotwire to the bike. 

Appreciate any input on this.  If it was already answered.  I probably didn't scroll far enough down topics.   Cheers BC
Big Country

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
Re: Triumph OEM GPS mount.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 06:47:44 pm »
Has anyone done this? Yes. Lots of us.
Is there any negative effect on the radio(s) No.
How is the power reconfigured?  Meaning, would I still apply my GPS through the USB/or 12 socket or set up a hotwire to the bike. If you buy the Triumph kit you should receive a wiring harness ready to plug and play. In other words you will be hard-wired into the bike.

Offline snarl

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ledyard, CT
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 06:54:22 pm »
I have the Triumph GPS mount and Triumph wiring harness installed on mine with a Garmin 660. The GPS antenna is unscrewed from the stock location, then simply reattached to the new bracket. It never gets disconnected from the radio. After 2 years, I have had no problems with it in any way. Hope that helps . . .
Oooo, that's cool. I want one! . . . what's it do?

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 07:00:48 pm »
Ok, guys I'm sold.  I was hoping to hear that.  I just called the Triumph Dealer and she is calling me back with a price....   I have the Triumph tank bag too.   Some of the posters configurations wouldn't work for me because of the bag set up.   I love my tank bag so that wasn't going anywhere.   

This is good.   Revzilla is replacing my Sena SMH10R.   So, I will be looking to synch all my new toys.   I have two pretty long trips scheduled for April and May this will really help.   Cheers BC   
Big Country

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 07:12:25 pm »
One more question, What Garmin do you have?  I have the 550.  I'm not at home so I can't tell if I can mount it or not.  It looks like someone suggested that I use the 660? 
Big Country

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 07:15:07 pm »
You can mount the 550 but you will potentially need to fashion a plate as I don't think the holes are quite lined up for the cradle to the Triumph mount for the 550. It is designed with the 660 in mind
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 07:16:18 pm »
*Originally Posted by bigcountry [+]
One more question, What Garmin do you have?  I have the 550.  I'm not at home so I can't tell if I can mount it or not.  It looks like someone suggested that I use the 660?

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 07:43:37 pm »
Did any of you fella's synch your GPS to the Sena SMH10? 

My goal is to synch my galaxy phone, to the GPS and radio.   Once I get all the components I will start the adventure:)
Big Country

tweedy-bunch