Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Wing x 3, St1100 x 3, ST1300 x 1 Now thinking of TT SE. Wot u think?  (Read 8067 times)

Offline Pottsie

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Nether Whitacre
Hi Gentleman and Ladies

I have over the last 30 years moved through various tourers and sports tourers (Wings, ST's and a boxer BWW) and now to change again mainly because for some reason the ST1300, fantastic bike that it is, has a slightly niggling sitting position for me and although I have changed it with bar risers etc I can't just get it right and have never had this before. Anyway, in looking around for something else I have tried a GL1800, GL1500, RT1200 and K1600 but all don't quite cut it for me although I want to stay on this type of bike.

I have never considered a Triumph Trophy before but have been reading this week and am hoping to try one tomorrow and just wondered if anyone else had left the unbelievable smoothness of an ST or Wing to go to the TT - or am I going to be surprised and these are smoother than I imagine and motorcycle secret I have been missing out on?

Also while I think about it do TT riders ever get together for ride outs etc.

If it's dry tomorrow hopefully I will learn some more tomorrow

Thanks

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
Re: Wing x 3, St1100 x 3, ST1300 x 1 Now thinking of TT SE. Wot u thin
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 07:45:26 pm »
I do not think the TT motor is as smooth as the Honda flat 6 of V4.  But it is fun and returns very good gas mileage.

I have some Goldwing friends that are looking very hard at the TT because it is light!  It's all relative.   :002:

It's a really good bike and eats miles.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 08:00:15 pm »
Welcome aboard. For whatever it's worth here's my personal experience: I rode a ST 1100 for 12 happy years until I got involved in a nasty road accident. I escaped relatively unscathed but the Pan European was totaled! I took a test ride with the Trophy and the deal was sealed! it has been three years now and never regretted it. My better half found it even more comfortable than the ST, I think it says it all, and the Triple is much more lively, and fun, than the V4. In addition all the amenities on the Triumph compare quite favourably with the Honda's. (at least on the ST 1100; granted more than 20 years were spent between the conception of the two)
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 08:40:28 pm »
 :001: You come to a Trophy forum and ask if you should buy one?

:046: Of course, get the Trophy!!!!
You will really love your test ride.  :169:

Online Stelyn

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Ashford, Kent.
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 08:46:26 pm »
Hi Pottsie and welcome,   :821:   I suggest you take your wallet with you to pay your deposit after your `test ride'.   And as for,   do `TT' riders ever get together for `ride outs'  our `Cropbiker' can answer that one.... :028:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:54:17 pm by Stelyn »
`Only a Motorcyclist  knows why a dog rides with his head out of the car window '

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2016, 08:49:19 pm »
*Originally Posted by Pottsie [+]
Hi Gentleman and Ladies

I have over the last 30 years moved through various tourers and sports tourers (Wings, ST's and a boxer BWW) and now to change again mainly because for some reason the ST1300, fantastic bike that it is, has a slightly niggling sitting position for me and although I have changed it with bar risers etc I can't just get it right and have never had this before. Anyway, in looking around for something else I have tried a GL1800, GL1500, RT1200 and K1600 but all don't quite cut it for me although I want to stay on this type of bike.

I have never considered a Triumph Trophy before but have been reading this week and am hoping to try one tomorrow and just wondered if anyone else had left the unbelievable smoothness of an ST or Wing to go to the TT - or am I going to be surprised and these are smoother than I imagine and motorcycle secret I have been missing out on?

Also while I think about it do TT riders ever get together for ride outs etc.

If it's dry tomorrow hopefully I will learn some more tomorrow

Thanks

When it comes to being comfortable on a bike and discovering if you feel any engine vibrations, you have to find those things out for yourself ultimately.

Over the last 30 years I've owned a fair few bikes too, I've suffered from numb hands on most of them, maybe I am just sensitive when it comes to feeling vibes through the bars?
I test rode a Pan 1100 years ago, I just didn't seem to fit it, wasn't that impressed with the suspension/ride and didn't think that the engine were that smooth, I had owned a VFR750 some time before that, that made my hands go numb on long rides too. I ended up buying a 1500 Wing, that were very smooth indeed so hands going numb were rarely an issue, the wife and I toured most of Europe on that.

Anyway, coming back to a full blown touring machine some years later, I were apprehensive about the Trophy and it's triple, so far I've not suffered or felt any vibration. :002: 

Online pantoscoop

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE15
  • City / Town: Vlaardingen
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 09:07:00 pm »
Many ST1300 riders are gone before you, as I did. The only downside is that the engine at low rpm gets some less power than the ST. The rest is only positive. No wobble at something higher speed, super stable. Sitting position is a bit more upright. For me, the automatic spring setting was the finely reason to go to the TTSE.

Offline Pottsie

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Nether Whitacre
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 09:37:39 pm »
It's all sounding very positive so looking forward to the test, assuming the  weather's good. Not because of me or the ST won't go we both got there last week but they wouldn't let the TT out and not because it was raining but because it  might rain! I presume generally you're a more hardy bunch!

Thanks for the info