Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Don't want to turn around when the asphalt ends  (Read 2256 times)

Offline lemuriano

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Jacksonville, Fl
Don't want to turn around when the asphalt ends
« on: April 04, 2016, 08:46:50 pm »
On my last trip, while looking for a campground, the road turn into gravel and was riding on that terrain two-up and fully loaded with camping gear and stuff for about 2 miles. That was in the mountains, so I encounter uphills as well as downhills and even cross a small creek. That happened late afternoon, but in the morning it rain, so there were some areas that were very slippery. 

Next day I was on a very nice and curvy road and the road unexpectedly ends, turning back would settle me back at least two+ hours and no dinner as a result, which my wife wont approve.  :182: I continue for about 4 miles saving dinner and perhaps sleeping outside the ten.

For these rare occasions, perhaps a tire with a little off road capability like 95/5 would be a wise choice. 

The question:

Do anyone in the forum has use or consider to use, Pirelli Scorpion Trail II or similar tire?

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:22:24 pm by lemuriano »
An apprentice in life, perhaps with the spirit of a Café Racer
IBA #60953

Offline sungunr

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Arizona
Re: Don't want to turn around when the asphalt ends
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 03:16:09 am »
Recently been asking the same question to myself.  I have no answers, but  would like to add myself to the request.  The Pirelli Scorpion Trail is a 190/55ZR-17 M/C 75W size tire and V rated for speeds up of 149+ MPH, or W rated for speeds up to 168 MPH.  States it is 95% on and 5% off road.  Would probably have to ask the Tiger guys about the tire, but it is an interesting topic.
"That's bold talk from a one eyed fat man"

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 05:44:55 am »
To chime in here I ride an 1190R Adventure in my off-Trophy hours,,

I currently run 80/20 (off/on) tire mix, quite aggressive....Mitas E09

Saying that - when it's muddy and slick on a big heavy bike with gear - those tires just cut it,,

Now considering a bigger and heavier street bike with near zero suspension, for in your words 'on the rare occasion' (<.0009%) going to a 90/10 tire, I would personally say don't bother..

Any proper road tire benefit (longevity, wet weather handling, & choice) you loose these options, and the the difference in a few miles of mud will not make a hill of beans of difference.... grin bare it and go slow - just my thoughts

'19 Tiger 1200 xcA - matte marine

Offline brbo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Kingston
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 05:50:34 am »
Oh yeah - but if you want to do more than 5% dirt put one of these beside the Trophy in the garage.....

'19 Tiger 1200 xcA - matte marine

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 trophy se
  • City / Town: Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 12:46:37 pm »
No matter what tire you choose, if you find yourself in sugar sand, thick loose gravel, or mud, the front tire is going to be a bear to handle on the Trophy.  A well used, hard packed gravel or dirt road is not an issue with a trophy, or big Harley for that matter.

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 04:59:36 pm »
*Originally Posted by brbo [+]
Oh yeah - but if you want to do more than 5% dirt put one of these beside the Trophy in the garage.....

All in due time, good sir. :-)
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

tweedy-bunch