Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Hacked speakers - problem?  (Read 2239 times)

Offline CAM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Comox
Hacked speakers - problem?
« on: April 06, 2016, 12:51:03 am »
I just finished installing the Autocom kit to switch from speaker to helmet headset. The 3.5 mm jack is plugged into a Starcom Advance (10 yrs old ) which is hard wired to my Shoei Neotec helmet (new headset).
On board speakers still work as before with lots of volume but when I switch over to headset, I can only raise the volume to 5 bars as any higher starts to cause crackling in the helmet speakers and the music will cut in and out. When I plug my MP3 into the Starcom, the sound is very clear so I know that the head set is OK.

Is it possible that the on board Stereo is too powerfull for the Starcom and that is why the music cuts out at higher volume? Could someone with a similar set up please advise if they are also volume limited to the headset.

I've not had the time to road test to determine if the volume will be sufficient at road speed while wearing earplugs so any suggestions will be very welcome.

I have e-mailed Tecstar to ask if they have any insight into this but expect that I will likely get better advice on this Forum.

Cheers,
Colin

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Hacked speakers - problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 06:15:20 am »
I have hacked the speaker wires and it is connected to the autocom L1 system I use. I only have the volume up at 2 bars.... any louder is just too loud and causes distortion. Never been a problem though, I can hear my music at all speeds.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 01:11:21 pm »
Qikslvr had a nice setup.  You might try to PM him.
-------------------------------------
06 Triumph Rocket III
15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #609 (formerly 42146)

Offline CAM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Comox
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 11:15:56 pm »

*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
I have hacked the speaker wires and it is connected to the autocom L1 system I use. I only have the volume up at 2 bars.... any louder is just too loud and causes distortion. Never been a problem though, I can hear my music at all speeds.

Thanks. Confirms that I have wired the kit correctly and that the bike stereo is too powerfull for the helmet speakers at anything above 4-5 bars. I expect that I'll be ok at 2-3 bars also but not expecting to have the Trophy on the road for another few weeks. I'll report back when I've road tested it.

I received a reply from Tecstar. Ryan wrote that the likely problem is that I'm "using an Autocom lead on a Starcom product" I don't buy that for a minute!

Thanks also tdragger, I'll try to find qikslvr's post.

Offline tdragger

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fredericksburg
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 11:50:38 am »
I don't think qikslvr has a post about his speaker set up.  He showed it to me in Jacksonville at the IBA Party.
-------------------------------------
06 Triumph Rocket III
15 Triumph Trophy SE

IBA #609 (formerly 42146)

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 05:52:38 pm »
I'm guessing the autocomm has its own amplifier, so running a line off the speaker wires, you're getting the signal double-amplified. You need to find a line-out from the radio that isn't amplified, if possible (I doubt there is one).
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 06:37:49 pm »
There is an inline unit. The Autocom cable is designed to be hacked into an already amplified speaker output rather than an audio out.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧