Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: strange engine problem  (Read 3212 times)

Offline johnbut

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: triumph trophy
  • City / Town: East Yorkshire
strange engine problem
« on: April 08, 2016, 03:32:26 pm »
I was out riding in north Yorkshire today and had a strange problem. We caught up to a slow moving tractor and as I tried to overtake the bike lost power. It did not stop but would not go above about 30 mph, made a loud throaty noise and the instant fuel mpg fell to between 25 to 30 mpg. There was also a sweet sickly smell (not me). This continued for about 4 miles the suddenly the bike picked up and all seemed well. As I was only 10 miles from York I called in at A1moto and asked them to check it. As you will guess it ran perfectly but a test rider said that the front disks could be warped. The bike is booked in next week for a thorough check up. The bike is a 2012 standard with 9000 miles. Any one have any ideas?
There was a silver 13 reg se in the car park is this one of our members trade ins?"

Offline silverstripes

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Chudleigh, Devon, UK
Re: strange engine problem
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 03:39:49 pm »
Cant help with your engine problem, but can with your brakes. Don't let the dealer charge you for new disks, check your bobbins (little round things between mount and disk) these should rotate and the disk should float.

When the bobbins are stuck it feels like a warped disk. Search front brake warping or bobbins.

Good luck and let us know if you find out what caused your symptons.
It wasn't me !!

Online GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 04:18:11 pm »
"There was a silver 13 reg se in the car park is this one of our members trade ins?"

Yes that would be my bike, I bought a new Black one a couple of weeks ago.  Reg:  ND13 OSP with distinctive rear reflector decals.

Love, light and kindness,

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline johnbut

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 04:34:57 pm »
I thought that it might be yours Dave.
I have just checked the bobbins and yes they are stuck. Managed to free a few up but Don't have the propper brake cleaner / lube at home so a1 can finish the job on Tuesday.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 07:31:05 pm »
Regarding the engine, ( and any other faults ), one of the first things to do
is to check to see if there are DTC's ( Diagnostic Trouble Codes ) stored in the ECU.

Many of the codes are ERASED from the Memory after 3 "No Fault" starts,
so for intermittemt faults it is often the case that the relevant code
will have been erased by the time you visit the Dealer  :233:

Fortunately it is very easy to see any codes that have been stored,
by displaying them on your instrument panel  :169:

This Link will direct you to instructions on how to do that : 
Servicing Data, Reference Info. & DTC ( Fault ) Codes

At the bottom of the most recent post you will find a downloadable Word Document
that has a list of all the DTC's, and a description of their meaning.

Make a note of any stored Codes ( and look up their meaning ) so you can inform your Dealer
in case they have been erased when you get there !  :028:

Cheers  :821:

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 08:20:22 pm »
The fault you describe is something like what happened to my TTSE when I got it back from the dealer after they replaced the head. But in my bike it would run fine until I wacked open the throttle. The engine slowed and howled but if I let off the gas and took it easy the bike would run fine up to highway speeds. The problem turned out to be an easy fix as the fuel line from the tank to the fuel injector rail was kinked and thus prevented full fuel flow when required at wide open throttle. Once the line was un-kinked the engine ran as it should. During the fault the check engine light never came on and I suspect but don't know for sure that there was no fault code registered. I would be looking for a problem in the fuel system and assuming the above fuel line isn't kinked I would be looking at the several short pieces of rubber fuel line that connect all the components on the fuel pump plate inside the fuel tank.
Current Bikes
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Burgman 650
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT

Offline johnbut

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 08:37:34 pm »
Thanks for the replies.
Coconut did check the codes, it showed the no fault code when I checked it but the dealer had started it a couple of times by then so as you say they may have been erased.

Offline towersk

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy Launch
  • City / Town: Granger IN
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 11:13:26 pm »
Did you get ECM replaced due to the recall?
Cheers,
Ken

tweedy-bunch