Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: LONG ride suggestions, please!  (Read 7686 times)

Offline TriumphJud

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TTSE
  • City / Town: Longmont
LONG ride suggestions, please!
« on: April 17, 2016, 05:20:43 am »
I have done one day trips, but in June I will have a conference close to Washington DC, USA and will be going by TT from Colorado.  This trip is around 1700 miles one way.  I drove my 2014 Trophy home from the dealer in in Iowa to my home in Colorado mostly in one day... 700 miles and loved the ride.  For those who have done the long rides... a couple of questions!

Looking to have three long days on the bike... are there any suggestions for keeping the ride fun, safe, and comfortable?

What about luggage... I have seen bags that go inside the boxes, but are there bags that go on the outside to protect the boxes when taking them off the bike and into a motel?

Any worries about bike problems that might creep up on a long ride?  I'll take anti-freeze and windshield cleaner (Plexus).  Any added tools...?

I am going to take I-70 straight out, but might come back through some of the lower states.  Any fun roads that I should be checking out?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions. 

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
Re: LONG ride suggestions, please!
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 10:28:57 am »
I have done a few long rides.
First I would skip the anti freeze, Make sure you have a tire patch kit and compressor and know how to use it.
Since you have been to DC I will skip the traffic advisory, cause you already know what it is like.
Outside of keep hydrated, go Enjoy the ride.

Offline LongRanger

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
nd d
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 01:22:43 pm »
I did a round trip across Kansas in July once and once is enough. Take a small cooler filled with ice. Stop every hour and pour ice water into your helmet, hose down your self completely getting your riding gear thoroughly soaked at any place that will let you use a hose. Put the helmet on and within 30 minutes you'll be dying again. And drink far more than you think you will need.  Or you can buy one of the cooling vests that use a pump to circulate cold water from a cooler. Consider one of these: http://www.veskimo.com/

Do not eat large meals or any meal with a lot of carbs unless it is mostly fruit. Heavy meals will make you drowsy. Yogurt or raisins will help replenish the potassium that you lose with the sodium. The heat along with the loss of salts will make you less alert.

Artificial tears, use them every chance you get. Buy a bead seat cover. Be sure to wear a complete riding suit, it will lessen the fluid loss.

You can also ride at night, motel rest when the temperatures rise, about 10 or 11 am until after sun set.
If using this method follow the large trucks, not so close they cannot see you, and let them take out the critters.

EDIT 28/05/16 - Inappropriate comment removed.
Trophy Moderator
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 08:33:52 am by Trophy Moderator »

Offline PhilInAthens

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Athens, GA
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 03:22:08 pm »
TriumphJud; You mentioned a possible interest in taking a more southern route when you head home. Since you will be in DC, you will not be terribly far from Front Royal, VA. and the northern terminus of the Skyline Drive.  The Skyline Drive will lead you to the Blue Ridge Parkway.  These - especially the BRP - are a motorcyclist must.  At the southern terminus of the BRP you will not be too far from I-40 that will get you out west.  [Take US 441 north through the Smoky National Park to get back up to I-40.]  (Of course, there are many two lane roads that will get you west too; Like US 74, etc.)  Along I-40 is Nashville and Memphis. Both worth the visit.

Enjoy the ride, get off occasionally and 'smell the roses', and drink plenty of water when you do. (Oh yeah, never miss a potty break opportunity!)  :821:

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 04:23:53 pm »
Recommend spending a few minutes reading the tips from those who are serious long-distance riders, those of the the Iron Butt Association. I've done only one "Saddlesore" so far (registered for another this summer), which is a certified ride of 1k miles within 24 hours, but the guys who write these tips are complete nuts (IMHO) and ride more miles in a week or two than I do in a year of good weather.

At any rate, I tried a lot of the tips they recommend and found they work well.
Check out their Archive of Wisdom:
http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm

Offline Lieu57

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE-Black
  • City / Town: Ohio
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 06:29:22 pm »
TriumphJud,
I've got a few observations that may or may not help.
Just returned from a 5,000 mile 9 day trip out west starting from Ohio. Did an Ironbutt down to Rockwall, Tx to start (1032 miles in 17.5 hrs). Spent a couple days in Austin at the MotoGP, then spent a week riding through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah. Finished with 1500 miles back from Santa Fe in 35 hrs.
This is my second TTSE. First was a blue '14. Current is brand new '15 in black.
My observations:
1. There's a lot of talk about replacement seats for long distance. To each his own. My experience is that the stock seat is excellent. It was never an issue for me. The only mod I would go for might be a backrest.
2. Wear quality gear. I have textile jacket and pants (First Gear and Tourmaster), and waterproof TCX riding boots. Despite temp changes of 40+ degrees on my trip I was always comfortable with t-shirt and shorts under my gear.
3. Bring two pairs of gloves (one pair that's waterproof)
4. Bring a puncture repair kit and mini pump
5. Only tools I brought were a couple t-handle wrenches to get to vital areas (battery...)
6. Bring Plexus for your windscreen and visor. Lots of bugs will join you for the ride.
7. Despite other's advice I would strongly recommend you refrain from caffeine or any other stimulants, definitely don't ride at night following the trucks. If you have to put time in after dark it pays to have additional lighting.
8. Most importantly, if you are tired, stop and take a nap. Even 20 minutes of sleep on a park bench at an I. 40 rest stop will do wonders. I know from experience.
9. Don't know where you're starting from in Colorado, but I would recommend coming south to Albuquerque or Amarillo and taking I. 40. It can get windy, but I'm not a big fan of I. 70.
10. If you're ready for new tires, I would recommend the PR4 GT's. I had them on my '14. They're far superior than the stock Angels.

The Trophy was perfect for a ride like this. Comfortable, fast, ready for twisty mountain roads (Devil's Highway), and smooth as silk.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:32:13 pm by Lieu57 »
'15 TTSE
Black
"Young riders pick a destination... Old riders pick a direction..."

Offline TriumphJud

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TTSE
  • City / Town: Longmont
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 08:03:26 pm »
 :047:  :460:  Thanks so much for the suggestions from everyone.  I was looking forward to the trip, but with the great words of help... this trip is going to be awesome. 

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
  • City / Town: Dallas TX
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 02:39:20 am »
Looks like everyone covered big things.
One thing you need to consider is the miles per day.
The first day you can put in the most miles the days after that you will "not feel or want or be able to" put in as many miles as you may want to.

There is a lot of good info on the Iron Butt Association forum.
Have a Great Ride.
IBA # 59602
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

tweedy-bunch