Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: HOW TO: Balance Throttle Bodies  (Read 5076 times)

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue TTSE
  • City / Town: Cambridge IL
Re: HOW TO: Balance Throttle Bodies
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 07:34:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by SprintST1050 [+]
Interesting thread as I adjusted 4 cyl Hondas using a bank of vacuum gauges back in the day.

Agree, I also have done many carb synchs on 4 cyl and 2 cyl Japanese machines with my old mercury Carb Stix. ( I still have, and use it)  Times have changed and simple procedures of yesteryear are definitely more challenging and complex. I preferred the mercury manometer over gauges for its guaranteed accuracy.  Gauges seemed to never all read the same.  Now that I've steered this thread off-topic: Thank you towersk for your comprehensive how-to.  A lot of time is consumed preparing and sharing this information.
2014 - Trophy SE - Pacific Blue
1988 - Honda Goldwing (Sold)

Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Charlotte, NC
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 12:57:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by TTSE14 [+]
Thank you towersk for your comprehensive how-to.  A lot of time is consumed preparing and sharing this information.

Thanking everyone who contributed here - probably the most interesting thread I've read recently.  I have a house full of Macs and can probably get the Dealertool program to run as a 'virtual program' I'll look around for a used Windows laptop to use as a dedicated device.

Offline tombaran

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TT SE, 10k mi
  • City / Town: Silver Spring, MD
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 06:29:31 PM »
Since the subject is already here, I though I'd share my adventure with balancing the throttle body.
It started with clicking valve I've heard riding my bike last season (started at a little over 6,000 mi). I even visited a dealership in locally and was told it was normal, that those triples do that. :192:. Shows you how much they know about what they do.

It bothered me enough that I decided to tackle it over the winter. With the help of a really nice write up on it (How To: Adjust TTSE Valves by janfmiller and couple of YouTube videos showing it on a tiger - it seemed like something I could do myself, especially since I wouldn't trust the dealer after they sent me off saying what I'm hearing was normal.

I can't say it was the easiest thing to get to it, but with help of the forum, I got the valves measured. As couple of other forum users stated here in the valve thread all of my exhaust valves (with exception of one) were tighter than the spec. Only one intake valve was at the mid range of the spec, all other were towards being loose and one was loose outside the spec - I'm positive that was the clicking I've heard and was told by the dealer it was normal.

I ordered all seals, gaskets and shims and two weeks later got the parts. I put it back together and got ready to start it to check the throttle body balance. I ordered the dealer tool after previous struggle with the free software available on the net, that for nothing I could make work for me. Throttle body was a bit out of balance (far enough for me to be messing with adjusting it) and that's where my struggle started. After couple of twists of the T20 screw adjusting the 1st cylinder everything went completely out of balance  :157:. I was devastated seeing that the throttle body is not serviceable (there is no diagram of parts other than entire throttle body) and the new one costs $2,000. I checked ebay and there was a used throttle body but it still was $500 - way too much I'd want to spend after trying not to go to dealer with all the maintenance. Long story short, after taking the throttle body off, it turned out the thread on adjustment screw on an arm that pushes the arm activating butterflies in cyl. 1 and 2 stripped and the screw simply fell out of it putting me completely out of balance. Here is a photo of a little "gizmo" that gave me that headache. That was not the end of my headaches. When the throttle body was off - I could see into the chamber behind intake valves and as you can see in the picture - not a pretty sight. It was that much more shocking knowing that my bike has only 10k mi.

I started reading about it and a lot of cars deal with that too, but at 80k miles. I would not be able to put my bike together without that nightmare hunting me. I went to harbor freight, and bought fine walnut shells and their blasting gun fr $20. After a little modification to the gun it worked like a charm and few hours later (with help of a good friend of mine) the intake chambers looked more like something I could live with.

Back to the throttle body: I'm lucky enough to be working at the office of a metal shop and I have access to AutoCad and laser. I decided to give it a shot and make me a part that I needed. I started with taking precise measurements and drew it in AutoCad.

From there I've had to have the dies made to bend the wings of it. Another challenge was that I was not able to find a screw with the thread fine as original using the same size torx driver. After all I went with the same size screw, same size driver, but a different thread pitch. In order for it to have the same strength I had to make one wing of the part I was making thicker to accommodate it. It was a new challenge. I made the part out of thicker metal and milled everything else except of the little wing with the thread in it to the thickness of original part. Here is my part after I finished it:

I had to wait for a free weekend to be able to work on the bike and once I've got to it everything fell into place like it should. Balancing of throttle body went without a hitch (although it takes a lot of patience to understand what does turning either of the screws do). Everything else got put back together the same day preparing the bike for ultimate test. On Sunday even though it was only 38 deg F here in Maryland I took it for a ride, and OMG what a difference. The throttle was a lot more responsive, there was no clicking, etc.  :046: :046: :046: :152: :152: :152:

If anyone ever finds themselves in a similar situation I can definitely help with this part (I got all that it takes to make it) or if they have a different part they have hard time finding and it could possibly be laser cut - I can at least try to help.

I'm a happy camper again and hope for a nice 2018 season.

:821:

TOM

Online Jeffb

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Columbus OH
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 09:21:11 PM »
Pretty amazing Tombaran!  Nice work. :152:

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 06:59:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jeffb [+]
Pretty amazing Tombaran!  Nice work. :152:

Yes, I agree. :002:

Having to fabricate such a part from scratch would be a step too far for many owners,........if just the threaded hole is at fault, how about drilling/tapping that out to the next size up? Assuming that such a fine thread screw is available in the next size up?
Also, how about spot welding a nut/plate with the same size/pitch thread to that rather thin tang, maybe that could be another option at solving this problem?? 

tweedy-bunch