Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: HOW TO: Balance Throttle Bodies  (Read 5280 times)

Offline towersk

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy Launch
  • City / Town: Granger IN
HOW TO: Balance Throttle Bodies
« on: April 17, 2016, 04:00:56 PM »
Using the DealerTool I found that the throttle body balance was out.  I had 71, 68, 67 KPa for the MAP pressures.  After rebalancing I ended up with 67,67,67 KPa.  Rebalancing did make a slight, but noticeable difference in idle quality and off idle throttle response.

Balancing the throttle bodies is very easy after removing the body panels, fuel tank, and air box.  Also you don't need to disconnect the high pressure fuel hose from the tank, there is a quick release on the fuel rail end.  Slide the orange lock down and press in on both side of the connector, it will slide right off.  Also the lock on the fuel pump connector is released buy squeezing in the top side of the connector - facing the engine side.

With the air box removed, you can see the adjusting screw for cylinder #3, and need to remove the access plug for cylinder #1 - T30 tamper proof.  The access plug is on the throttle control housing between cylinder #1&2.  You will need a T10 screw driver to reach the adjusting screw for cylinder #1 through the access hole.  There is no adjustment for cylinder #2, use this cylinder as a reference and adjust cylinders #1&3 to match.

Refit the tank temporarily, I removed the air temperature sensor and MAP sensor from the air box and reconnected them, just let them hang.  Don't worry about the SAI solenoid, it will trip a fault which can be cleared later.  There is plenty of clearance to access the adjuster screws with the back end of the tank resting up on the frame, and enough fuel line and wire harness length to accomplish this.

Cylinder #1 can only be adjusted with the engine off, after waiting a few seconds until the throttle is fully closed by the throttle motor.  With the engine running the adjusting screw will move past the the access hole.  Not very difficult, clockwise will decrease the MAP pressure by about 1 KPa per 1/16 of a turn.  I was able to get all three cylinders reading exactly the same after a few tries.

Refit the blanking screw for cylinder #1, air box, sensors, & tank recheck the throttle body balance and clear the fault code for the disconnected SAI solenoid.  All should be good - time to enjoy a pint or two and refit the body panels.  After a 100 mile test ride, the throttle body balance was still spot on.

On my laptop, sometimes the windows opened with the various tabs in DealerTool were not on top.  I had to minimize the DealerTool main screen to see the selected item.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 04:51:20 PM by towersk »
Cheers,
Ken

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: HOW TO: Balance Throttle Bodies
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 06:54:50 PM »
Thanks for the tutorial, I'm sure that I'll be having to do this at some point in the near future. :002:

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 02:14:49 PM »
To add just a bit of clarity to the adjustment...

Serial BMW rider

Offline tombaran

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TT SE, 10k mi
  • City / Town: Silver Spring, MD
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 02:45:13 AM »
Hi,

You got a nice writup on it, but it seems like I知 missing something.

I got the dealertool and was able to connect to the ECU, read all the sensors, etc., so I know the connection is good.

I wanted to balance throttle bodies. I wormed up the bike as specified but when I click the tab, all three throttle bodies show 0 pressure and it says Adjust. Nothing changes when I click refresh connection button and Adjust is not clickable.

I have the sensors from the air box removed and connected as specified in the manual.

If you致e ever come across something like that, please advise what I知 missing or is there something that need to be turned on or off in the software to make it work or on the bike maybe?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:47:10 AM by tombaran »
TOM

Offline rpeters549

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Lowell, Or
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 05:02:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by tombaran [+]
Hi,

You got a nice writup on it, but it seems like I知 missing something.

I got the dealertool and was able to connect to the ECU, read all the sensors, etc., so I know the connection is good.

I wanted to balance throttle bodies. I wormed up the bike as specified but when I click the tab, all three throttle bodies show 0 pressure and it says Adjust. Nothing changes when I click refresh connection button and Adjust is not clickable.

I have the sensors from the air box removed and connected as specified in the manual.

If you致e ever come across something like that, please advise what I知 missing or is there something that need to be turned on or off in the software to make it work or on the bike maybe?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe try emailing Dealertool directly?
Year round rider here!

Offline tombaran

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 TT SE, 10k mi
  • City / Town: Silver Spring, MD
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 11:10:45 AM »
I did right after posting here. They are good at getting back to customers. I woke up this morning and there was an email from them asking if I connected the air hose to the MAP sensor. I obviously didn稚 because I even got a fault code P1105 which states exactly that. I値l try later today and confirm if it worked.

Thanks a lot.

Tom
TOM

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 07:59:27 PM »
towersk & azgman :

For the benefit of others ( including tombarran and myself ! ),
can you confirm the Torx driver required to adjust the Throttle bodies ?

towersk's Write-Up says it is a T10, while the Service Manual extract from azgman says it's a T20 ?

Thanks,

Smiles are infectious,and they are FREE,
so if you see someone without one, give them one of yours :-)

Offline SprintST1050

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '15 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Charlotte, NC
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 10:39:58 PM »
Interesting thread as I adjusted 4 cyl Hondas using a bank of vacuum gauges back in the day.

tweedy-bunch