Who has over 50,000 miles? by Blue42
[Today at 08:50:49 AM]

Good bye for now Trophy friends by rvbobby
[Today at 05:04:48 AM]

Hello from a new member by rvbobby
[Today at 05:01:42 AM]

Triumph Tankbag? by karl
[Today at 03:08:25 AM]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Tried anything else.. ?  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Terry

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
Tried anything else.. ?
« on: August 27, 2012, 01:47:46 PM »
I'm curious to know if anyone has tried any other touring orientated bikes recently and what they thought ?

I've tried the 1200 Honda and although a great bike it wasn't for me. Anyone tried the 1400 BMW? I sat on that at last years bike show and it seemed enourmous, but I've read that some people weren't won over once they tried it on the road. Just wondered what others have tried and what they thought ?

Offline gogs01

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2010 BMW R1200RT SE
  • City / Town: Dundee
Re: Tried anything else.. ?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 09:04:15 AM »
I currently ride a BMW R1200RT SE (latest twin cam model) and it's a great bike to ride. Some people will never get on with the old fashioned engine, but I've come to like it - it's quick enough without encouraging you to ride at "go to jail" speeds.  First gear is too high for mountain hairpins, U turns in the road etc and most importantly it has spent more time in the dealer's workshop than any bike I've had before - including a 1999 Triumph Trophy !

I had a brief ride on a Kawasaki GTR1400 and it impressed around town with it's ease of operation and light feel - surprising for such a big, heavy looking bike.

My brother has recently bought a BMW K1600GT which he loves - he had a test ride on the Trophy and said it felt rough and dated, which it might compared to a K1600GT !?!

Offline Hervé

• Trophy Member
  • First French?
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: Vaux sur seine
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 03:16:20 PM »
Before Deciding for the TT, I've tried the BMWR1200RT, the new FJR 1300 and the GTR 1400.

Last two are fantastic bike, but what gogs01 called an encouragement to ride at "go to jail" speeds!!

Looking at R1200RT, I've been disappointed by the engine, coming from a TDM900, and the comfort.

My TT is now less than one month, already 1800km and I'm really pleased from my choose.

OK, right, you may think that is difficult to say differently  :009:? Just try the TT  :002:!
Mind is like a parachute, it's efficient only when open

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 04:17:48 AM »
Two of my brothers have several motorcycle franchises.  Suzuki, Kawasaki, Honda and Triumph.  I chose the Triumph Trophy over any competitor model. One brother is probably going to give up his Goldwing demo for a Trophy memo.  At least he says he will.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 03:47:58 PM »
I Have been a sports bike rider most of my adult life. Mainly Kawasaki with 5 years on a Daytona 1200. My last bike was a BMW K1200S which being honest I loved.

Last year I was seriously ill, deaths door type stuff, but fortunately I pulled through. Left me with some permanent damage though to the cartilage in my shoulder restricting my mobility there and meant that I just couldn't hold the sports bike position for long without being in a lot of pain. So it was time for the K1200S to go and for me to get something a little more upright.

Naturally, I started off looking at the BMW R1200RT. All the press seemed to agree it is the greatest touring bike on the planet. I managed to wangle a 24 hour test ride from my local dealership. Everything about the bike seemed perfect. I liked the styling, liked the equipment levels, handling was good, gearbox sublime. but gutless! :151: :151:

Coming from the K1200S with nearly 170 BHP the 110 or so on the BMW was never going to be close. But I seemed to have to work the gearbox so hard to progress with it, good job it was so smooth.

And then there are the vibes! After 30 minutes riding my hands were numb and throbbing and I had to stop. The dealer told me don't worry that calms down after 5000 miles or so. I said at 30 minutes riding a time its going to take me a hell of a long time to get to 5000 miles!

Next they said try the K1600GTL. What an engine!! Amazing, SO smooth...... but then it is a six pot, it blooming well should be! But the gearbox, what a let down! 1st, CLUNK!, 2nd CLUNK, 3rd CLUNK! and so on!!! Not to mention it was something akin to riding a supertanker, with equivalent handling!

Then there was the idrive. I would LOVE to see the number of accidents caused by that little beauty. On the K1600 I want my seat heat on step 2. Two clicks forward of the wheel, click in, two clicks back on the wheel, click in. a) Bugger that's the rear seat on, start again b) Oops I seem to have hit that car in front of me!

Then the Trophy came out. Took a test ride and ordered one with all the trimmings there and then! It was a no brainer. Great engine, plenty of power and torque. All the kit, with buttons that operate it! Handling that is actually better than my K1200S in lots of ways. An engine with feel and sound that gives character without vibrating my molecules apart!
 :046: :046: :046: :046: :046:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:02:17 PM by cropbiker »
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Washington DC
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
You have chosen wisely... :401:

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 04:38:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]
I Have been a sports bike rider most of my adult life. Mainly Kawasaki with 5 years on a Daytona 1200. My last bike was a BMW K1200S which being honest I loved.

Last year I was seriously ill, deaths door type stuff, but fortunately I pulled through. Left me with some permanent damage though to the cartilage in my shoulder restricting my mobility there and meant that I just couldn't hold the sports bike position for long without being in a lot of pain. So it was time for the K1200S to go and for me to get something a little more upright.

Naturally, I started off looking at the BMW R1200RT. All the press seemed to agree it is the greatest touring bike on the planet. I managed to wangle a 24 hour test ride from my local dealership. Everything about the bike seemed perfect. I liked the styling, liked the equipment levels, handling was good, gearbox sublime. but gutless! :151: :151:

Coming from the K1200S with nearly 170 BHP the 110 or so on the BMW was never going to be close. But I seemed to have to work the gearbox so hard to progress with it, good job it was so smooth.

And then there are the vibes! After 30 minutes riding my hands were numb and throbbing and I had to stop. The dealer told me don't worry that calms down after 5000 miles or so. I said at 30 minutes riding a time its going to take me a hell of a long time to get to 5000 miles!

Next they said try the K1600GTL. What an engine!! Amazing, SO smooth...... but then it is a six pot, it blooming well should be! But the gearbox, what a let down! 1st, CLUNK!, 2nd CLUNK, 3rd CLUNK! and so on!!! Not to mention it was something akin to riding a supertanker, with equivalent handling!

Then there was the idrive. I would LOVE to see the number of accidents caused by that little beauty. On the K1600 I want my seat heat on step 2. Two clicks forward of the wheel, click in, two clicks back on the wheel, click in. a) Bugger that's the rear seat on, start again b) Oops I seem to have hit that car in front of me!

Then the Trophy came out. Took a test ride and ordered one with all the trimmings there and then! It was a no brainer. Great engine, plenty of power and torque. All the kit, with buttons that operate it! Handling that is actually better than my K1200S in lots of ways. An engine with feel and sound that gives character without vibrating my molecules apart!
 :046: :046: :046: :046: :046:

And all say all of us. You couldn't have said it any better  :087: Top post dude  :028: :028: :062:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline GPL95928

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »
Great post Cropbiker, glad you love the TSE, best wishes for many safe and pain free miles.