Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Undressing the Trophy  (Read 7602 times)

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
Undressing the Trophy
« on: May 24, 2013, 11:27:02 AM »
Okay all,

I am finally getting to the point where I am going to need to take some panels off to fit various accessories (lights, intercom, coffee machine, dishwasher etc.)

Do any of you serious mechanicky guys have a good, throrough and easily understood description of how to remove and replace the panels?

ideally it would be a step-by-step guide to removing panels to access certain areas such as left side, right side, front, instrument panel, tail etc.

My priority at the moment is getting to the back of the speakers in order to hack the wiring.

I am sure that I could muddle through myself but I would appreciate any experience, tricks, tips and advice available from people who have blazed the trail.

TIA

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline crazyman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Crystal Beach, FL
Re: Undressing the Trophy
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 12:50:51 PM »
I'm looking at doing the same.  I'm no mechanic, but can read a service manual.  I'm interested to know how 'easy' it is to remove the panels.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 03:54:57 PM »
It isn't hard, not as in mechanically difficult.   But it is a pain.  The reason is because Triumph went to great lengths to give the bike a smooth finished look.  To do so they "layered" the various panels so that none/few have exposed screws.  To get started you need to remove the seat and start disassembling from there.  Get a manual or a print out from your Triumph dealer of the parts layout.   I removed mine to install a Wolo horn that turned out to be a piece of junk.  It failed after four days and I had to remove the fairing again just to take it out.  So whatever you intend to do, make sure it is done right so you don't have to repeat. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 05:09:26 PM »
Most of us don't have access to the Triumph manuals - this was exactly the reason why I asked the question.

I think most of us have taken panels off bikes in the past and are fairly comfortable withe the basic mechanical skills required to do it. I was just looking for guidance, tricks or tips on how to go about it from people who had done it. I suspect it will be a few years before Haynes do a manual for the bike.

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline Hervé

• Trophy Member
  • First French?
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: Vaux sur seine
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 05:57:37 PM »
Looking to install the GPS support, I’ve Undressed the TTse.

I’m not an engineer but with patience I’ve been able to do it without issue. I have collected lot of information from the user manual!

In fact, you will find in the manual how to pull out the mirror to access to the screw behind (how to change the turn light),
Looking how to access to the battery will also “explain” how to remove the left side,
Looking how to change the light, you will find how to access to the light.
How to refill cooling liquid will give you also some info;, etc, etc,..

Take time to read the user manual you will have quite all information and also more important, you will understand how the bike is dressed!

For info, the first time I have “undressed” the bike, all front parts, asked me 3hours and half and I did not had problem to rebuilt it . Only forgot some screws (3) so have had to do it a second time! :034:

What I can say now is that it’s not difficult. The bike has been built by people looking to do great and so, disassemble it is not so difficult

(again sorry for my poor english, hope it's enought clear)
Mind is like a parachute, it's efficient only when open

Offline Trumpet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 08:05:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
It isn't hard, not as in mechanically difficult.   But it is a pain.  The reason is because Triumph went to great lengths to give the bike a smooth finished look. 

Exactly, that is why at first sight, it looks like a mystery that has to be solved one screw at a time.
The manual has not helped understand the sequence, thus, I plan on removing screws as I can see them show up starting with seat.

It would be great if someone posted a video of the sequence to remove the tupperware
If I had money I wouldn't be on this board now
I wanna be Hefner's roommate
I trade ignorance and youth for old age anytime

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 01:56:19 AM »
I have ordered the shop manual but it hasn't come in yet.  I always get one for each model I own.  I do know that with the Trophy it is best, not to disagree with Herve, to start with the seat off.  There you will find the screws that hold the black trim around the gas cap.  Then as you remove that more and more screws will become visible.  As Herve says though eventually you will need to remove the screws that are in the two compartments and the mirror.  A shop manual would be a good place to start if you want to spend the money.  Or I would think a dealer might share the parts fiche with you which will tell you where the screws are place.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Bradford
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 12:56:48 PM »
I did it without any info at all, there are a lot of fasteners but they are all the same allen key size, there is one behind the black plastic trim next to your left shin if you were riding it, the plastic just pulls off to reveal the screw, it's pretty easy really just time consuming and easier if you have a bike stand or bench so you can raise it up, saves on the creaky knees.  :033:
Might as well as wish we had.