Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Prospective TTSE Owner from upstate NY  (Read 4084 times)

Offline digband

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
Prospective TTSE Owner from upstate NY
« on: April 18, 2016, 12:36:03 am »
Hi Team Trophy,
I've been a v-twin cruiser/bagger guy for over 10 years and have been shopping sport-tourers for awhile now - looking to migrate because I want more performance, safety features, less vibration and noise. Test drove the K1600GT recently - great bike, a little bigger than I wanted, wife said it was like "riding in a car with 2 wheels", not enough "motorcycle experience" for her I guess - plus wanted to avoid the BMW price tag and maintenance. Tested the Kawa Concours yesterday - we liked this bike but the riding position was a little too forward for my liking and wife wasn't happy with the passenger ergos, and I'm not sure about the feel of an inline 4 (only triple I ever drove was a test ride on a Sprint back in '07 or so, but don't remember much about it). FJR has a similar riding position to the Concours so I passed on a test ride for that one, but... the dealer had a TTSE in stock, which I had never even seen/heard of before - got in the saddle in the showroom and it immediately felt like the right fit for both of us. Been researching it all day today and found this awesome forum - great community here people, hope to be a TTSE-owning member soon.

Question 1: Were the initial design kinks worked out in 2014, or later in 2015? Started looking at '13 models but then filtered to '14 when I read here about some of the first year issues, but is '14 late enough to get past these?

Question 2: The TTSE I sat on at the dealer - brand new with almost no miles and close to $20k price tag - is the only one anywhere near me in upstate NY. I have my eye on a 2014 TTSE with low miles but it's many states away and I refuse to buy without a test ride. Is it inappropriate to ask the local dealer to let me drive his brand new bike in stock even though I don't have any intention of buying it?

Thanks for your feedback.

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
Re: Prospective TTSE Owner from upstate NY
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 01:13:07 am »
Welcome,

Question 1 - yes. Few reports of issues with the 14s.

Question 2 - I'd ask for a test ride. Why not? But I can tell you now your going to love it! The test ride sell the bike.

Good luck with your quest. Keep us posted as to your progress!
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline bobv07662

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Rochelle Park, NJ
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 01:36:52 am »
My 2014 needed the ECM replacement, one fork seal and the audio software update. All covered by warranty. It's a great bike, pull the trigger you won't regret the ride.
1978 Bonneville    1973 Trophy Trail TR5T
2012 Thruxton      1976 Hodaka ED250
2014 Trophy SE    1950 Vincent Rapide
1976 Yamaha RD400C
1978 Yamaha DT400E

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 03:19:41 am »
Welcome to the forum. As far as my opinion, I've never had a better bike than the TTSE. Mines a 2013 and its had the recalls and service bullitins done at no cost, I've never had an issue with it. If you liked it in the showroom, definitely take the test ride, you wont regret it. The TTSE is an amazing machine and it has just about every convenience a rider could want. If shopping around, there are plenty of leftover 2014's & 2015's at dealers all over the country. New leftover 2014's starting at $13,900 and new leftover 2015's starting at $15,500. Use Cycletrader.com to locate dealers and their pricing, its worth a $300. plane ticket to save 4 to 5 grand and you'd get to ride her home. 
Link: http://www.cycletrader.com/Triumph-Trophy-Motorcycles----CycleTrader.com/search-results?make=triumph%7C2321036&model=Trophy%7C764862018&sort=geo_distance%3Aasc&condition=N&page=1&

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 06:06:27 am »
Hi digband and :400: to the Forum !

I can only echo what everyone esle says, and also sympathise about the logistics
of arranging a Test Ride.  While there are some very happy Trophy SE owners who
bought theirs without ever having ridden one, it is obviously much better
if you CAN get a few miles in on one, before committing to anything.

It also seems, for some, that the choice of Dealer for maintenance can be an important factor,
as there have been a few stories of U.S. dealers letting the Triumph brand down, so that will be
another area for you to research, and one that some of our U.S. members may be able to help you with.

Cheers  :821:

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2016, 08:30:13 am »
welcome aboard  :821: hope you will soon find the right Trophy and the right dealer for you
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 10:46:00 am »
Hi digband and welcome!

Yes a test ride will seal a deal so I can understand the frustration in not being able to get one organised easily

I hope you get one but you can take our word... The bike is amazing... You will love it... You will want one
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 05:16:17 pm »
 :400: to the forum.  Mine is a 2013 that has had the fork seals replaced (right after I bought it new), the ECM update, and the audio update, and both tire pressure sensors replaced due to low battery warnings when I replaced each tire.  All under warranty, no other issues, and a ball to ride.  If you take a test ride, you may need to see if they can roll all the extras into the deal if possible, unless you have some money in reserve above and beyond the purchase price.  If it doesn't have heated grips, DON'T have the dealer add them.  The Triumph kit is $250 (better price on sale on line) plus their labor, and you can buy the individual parts on line (genuine Triumph) for about $100 ($79 on sale from a vendor on this forum), and install them in an hour or so per other members on this forum.  And yes, there are step by step instructions on almost everything farkle you would want to install somewhere on this forum.  From what I read here the 2014's have a few individual issues, and the 2015, 2016 owners haven't posted many issues at all.  There are a LOT of 2013's like mine that have had the issues resolved and had nothing else occur on them.  You may watch to see what other members chime in with for even more info.  :821:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies