Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: high noise from the cardan  (Read 3776 times)

Offline apaulino

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Throphy 2014
  • City / Town: são Paulo
high noise from the cardan
« on: April 18, 2016, 03:15:06 am »
HI all, I'm probably facing the same issue that was described back in 2013 (see bellow). This the only aspect that let me very disappointed with the TTSE.

https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,499.msg3646.html#msg3646

Starting on 90km/h, there is a noise comming from the cardan (I believe so) which make me to speed up to hear the wind noise instead to listen to the engine or cardan noise..

So, Please, have anybody facing the same issue ? or even, how did you solve it ?

Please let me know..I'm almost giving up about the TTSE .. :(

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: high noise from the cardan
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 06:15:22 am »
Hi apaulio,

For our English Members "cardan" is a Spanish description for the Universal Joint,
and the problem being discussed here is apparantly excessive noise from the Final Drive / Shaft Drive.

This has been experienced by other Members and would appear to be "normal",
but it is worth checking to make sure the Final drive oil WAS changed at the specified interval of 500 miles.
( The service schedule states it never needs to be changed again, although some Members do. )

Offline apaulino

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Throphy 2014
  • City / Town: são Paulo
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 01:37:17 pm »
oops, thank you Coconut  and I'm sorry for the "cardan", I was supposing that was the correct English word, but you are right.

So, do we have similar cases where changing the oil have fixed the problem ?

I love the bike, but this loud  "wheezing" make me very sad.

thank you all for any kind of suggestions.

Offline r1pete

• Trophy Pro
  • 24 years of "Cage Free" living and still unmelted
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Idaho High Desert
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 03:31:59 pm »
I am going to use a high quality synthetic gear oil, and perhaps a slightly higher viscosity as well. I have no known issues and consider this to be preventive maintenance as I'm beyond 20K miles. This would be an area where I believe the extra costs associated with this may not change outcomes in the long run for the vast majority of these bikes. Triumph may be right for the 99% of the bikes even. So not upset with Triumph about it. But it is a reason to love on my bike!     

;')
Motorcycles in my garage currently:
2016 Triumph Trophy SE, 2015 Yamaha R1, 2014 Suzuki Vstrom 1K Adv

Now looking for something new for summer play.

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 04:03:37 pm »
*Originally Posted by r1pete [+]
I am going to use a high quality synthetic gear oil, and perhaps a slightly higher viscosity as well. I have no known issues and consider this to be preventive maintenance as I'm beyond 20K miles. This would be an area where I believe the extra costs associated with this may not change outcomes in the long run for the vast majority of these bikes. Triumph may be right for the 99% of the bikes even. So not upset with Triumph about it. But it is a reason to love on my bike!     

;')

The specified gear oil for the final drive is already a very high quality synthetic oil (Castrol Syntrax Long Life Differential Oil, 75w-90).
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline r1pete

• Trophy Pro
  • 24 years of "Cage Free" living and still unmelted
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Idaho High Desert
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 02:41:21 am »
Sorry, but specified is to leave it alone, so I for one don't believe that they are the end all do all of bike maintenance, which my background is specific and tested and I trust me way more than triumph in taking care of it.
Live in England and perhaps I would feel better about trusting them?
Nope.
Motorcycles in my garage currently:
2016 Triumph Trophy SE, 2015 Yamaha R1, 2014 Suzuki Vstrom 1K Adv

Now looking for something new for summer play.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 02:38:50 pm »
I think that it's wise to replace the drive shaft oil from time to time certainly, it is a small amount of oil after all so it wouldn't take long to become 'contaminated' I feel.

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 06:53:57 pm »
Unlike engine oil, which quickly gets contaminants from combustion blow-by, the rear drive stays pretty clean.  The initial change at 500 miles is to get rid of wear particles from the break-in period.

On other shaft drive bikes, the trend I see is that a lot of owners will always change it more frequently than spec'ed.  If the oil change interval is spec'ed for every 15k, owners would do it every 7.5k.  If they are spec'ed for every 7.5k, guys would change 'em every engine oil change.  Maybe Triumph says never, knowing most owners would change them anyway... but at least not at ridiculously frequent intervals.  :007:

To answer OP's question... my suggestion is: WEAR EARPLUGS!  I don't mean that in a smug way.  If the last time you change your final drive oil showed the oil to be pretty much clean and free of debris, there isn't a whole lot that could go wrong with the bevel gear drive... unless you pull wheelies every other stop light.  Yes the bike makes a bit more mechanical noise than typical.  I was a bit taken aback when I first test rode mine (about the only time I purposely ride without ear plugs), but none of it sounded problematic.  So... in went my earplugs and I've had absolutely no mechanical problem in this past year of riding and don't expect any to come.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).