Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Slight oil seepage from shaft drive rubber boot.  (Read 2645 times)

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Slight oil seepage from shaft drive rubber boot.
« on: April 19, 2016, 06:53:58 pm »
Got back from a 200 mile motorway trip, parked the bike on it's side stand only to find a small oil stain on my driveway an hour or so later. :006:

I see that there's an oval shaped hole in the middle of the rubber boot, I pulled the boot back and there were a very slight film of oil/grease around that area, I assume that it worked it's way through this hole, is this normal?

I'm wondering if the hole in the boot is actually meant to let any water/condensation out or has the previous owner overfilled the shaft with oil maybe.  :187:

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
Re: Slight oil seepage from shaft drive rubber boot.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 10:36:34 pm »
There is only a very small amount of oil in the final drive so any leak is a problem.  I had what I would class as an oil weep (had been riding Harleys for years so was not worried about an oil weep) but a Triumph technician suggested I got it sorted.  The dealer replaced the final drive as there are no serviceable parts within the final drive.

If your bike is in warranty get a new drive.  If it is out of warranty try getting a mechanic, or you, to change the oil seal.

Let us know the outcome and good luck with it.

Love, light and kindness,

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline dlrph

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 triumph trophy
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 12:36:55 am »
I agree with GarminDave...

I had a very similar problem with my 2014 TTSE at around 20,000 miles. Turned out to be a bad final drive seal, and no seal only replacement per Triumph(not the most cost-effective design). Triumph replaced the entire final drive assembly promptly, no questions asked, under warranty.

Hopefully you are in warranty still-if not find a machine shop that can open up that drive and fabricate a seal(unit is a $2000 part).

Good luck
Ride safe(and fast)
Dirk

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 10:55:42 pm »
Thanks chaps. Well I've been using the bike, normal commuting/local trips and everything seems fine, visited the local dealer and had a tech come out to inspect it, pulled back the rubber, used a torch, nothing unusual to report.

I bought some oil and washers and decided to change the oil myself, there were certainly some pressure within that housing, the hissing and spurge of oil that came out of the filler hole surprised me. I have a feeling that there were more oil in there than should of been, I'm guessing that maybe the pressure had built up so much during the 200 mile ride, a tiny amount of oil got past the seal??

I don't understand why Triumph state that this oil only needs to be changed/replaced on the 500 mile service, why not every 10 or 20 thousand miles at least? Like what's stated for other vehicles.

I can't help but think that removing dirty oil/contaminated with tiny bits of metal is nothing but a good thing when it comes to prolonging the condition of seals etc.
It is a concern that we can't buy just that seal from Triumph if/when we need one in years to come, that is crazy,......there must be a supplier out there some where??

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 06:10:12 am »
Its not like its an expensive job.... as you say some new washers and a small amount of oil. Just because they don't list it as something to do, doesn't stop you doing it.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 03:19:18 pm »
I don't understand why Triumph state that this oil only needs to be changed/replaced on the 500 mile service, why not every 10 or 20 thousand miles at least? Like what's stated for other vehicles.

I can't help but think that removing dirty oil/contaminated with tiny bits of metal is nothing but a good thing when it comes to prolonging the condition of seals etc.

So, the reason engine oil breaks down is because of very high temperature and byproducts of combustion contaminants getting in the oil. And even at that, it only needs to be changed at 10k mile intervals. The shaft drive sees much lower temperatures and there is nothing to contaminate the oil. After the initial shavings from the first change are removed at the 500 mile service, there will be very little metal loss, so there's no real need to change it again after that. Most new automobiles have factory-sealed differentials these days.

Having said that, it's so easy to change, I will do it with the engine oil at 5k mile intervals.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 08:23:18 pm »
*Originally Posted by AZBob [+]
So, the reason engine oil breaks down is because of very high temperature and byproducts of combustion contaminants getting in the oil. And even at that, it only needs to be changed at 10k mile intervals. The shaft drive sees much lower temperatures and there is nothing to contaminate the oil. After the initial shavings from the first change are removed at the 500 mile service, there will be very little metal loss, so there's no real need to change it again after that. Most new automobiles have factory-sealed differentials these days.

Having said that, it's so easy to change, I will do it with the engine oil at 5k mile intervals.

Even if it is very little I don't like the idea of it swirling around for years, working away like sandpaper on the seal and cogs no doubt!

I know what you mean about the modern way of doing things, factory sealed etc,.....a mechanic friend of mine were looking for a gearbox drain plug on his Skoda, he ended up going to the dealer only to be told that it's sealed for the life of the car, when he asked how long that was, EIGHT years were the reply. 

I may just change mine at every engine oil change too, well until the possibility of getting hold of just a new seal rather than having to replace the whole shaft.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 09:35:58 pm »
A Skoda - 8 years ?

That's a bit optimistic isn't it ?  :745:

tweedy-bunch