Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: Dress For The Slide Not The Ride [ATGATT]  (Read 5333 times)

• Offline Studley   ca

• Trophy Pro  ‐    376
    • Topic Author

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Vancouver
    Dress For The Slide Not The Ride [ATGATT]
    on: Apr 20, 2016, 12.28 am
    Apr 20, 2016, 12.28 am
    You don't come much closer than this and walk away. You need to watch all three videos to see how close he came.
    http://www.azfamily.com/story/31747531/biker-dad-dog-nearly-kills-two-riders-caught-on-camera

Studley

• Offline cropbiker   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    4934

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • Midlands biker
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Worcester
    Re: Dress For The Slide Not The Ride [ATGATT]
    Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2016, 06.11 am
    Apr 20, 2016, 06.11 am
    It just proves.... you might be the greatest rider on the planet but sometimes you can't cater for a dog in the road!!!

Wear the gear.... it works!
    Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

• Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro  ‐    185

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Appomattox, Virginia
    Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2016, 12.50 pm
    Apr 20, 2016, 12.50 pm
    Pardon me for just a minute while I unload on a subject that I get emotional about.

I'm a dog owner, a responsible one.    I love my dog and I do everything I can to protect him from hazards that he doesn't understand.

Nothing makes me madder than to see a letter in the paper like "My dear Fluffy was murdered yesterday by some uncaring driver.   She was hit in the road, and suffered until the vet put her down, and we don't know how long she lay there.   I hope that the monster that hit her and didn't turn around and come back suffers in hell for what they did ...."   You see it all the time.

I want to grab that person by the neck and shout "WHY WAS YOUR PRECIOUS FLUFFY IN THE HIGHWAY, YOU DOG ABUSER?"  Would they let their 2-year-old daughter or granddaughter wander out in the highway?   Because a dog operates at about that level when it comes to understanding traffic.

Animals in the road are a huge problem for motorists.   Just last week, a man was killed here near me, IN HIS PICKUP TRUCK, when a deer ran into the road, was hit by a car going the opposite direction, and was thrown through the windshield of the man's truck, upon which he ran off the road and hit a tree at 55 MPH - they don't know whether the impact with the deer or the impact with the tree killed him.

Deer are a wild phenomenon, but there is NO DAMN EXCUSE for a dog being in the road ... people ought to be prosecuted for letting it happen.

Rant over.

Lannis

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2016, 04.29 pm
    Apr 20, 2016, 04.29 pm
    *Originally Posted by Lannis [+]
    Pardon me for just a minute while I unload on a subject that I get emotional about.

I'm a dog owner, a responsible one.    I love my dog and I do everything I can to protect him from hazards that he doesn't understand.

Nothing makes me madder than to see a letter in the paper like "My dear Fluffy was murdered yesterday by some uncaring driver.   She was hit in the road, and suffered until the vet put her down, and we don't know how long she lay there.   I hope that the monster that hit her and didn't turn around and come back suffers in hell for what they did ...."   You see it all the time.

I want to grab that person by the neck and shout "WHY WAS YOUR PRECIOUS FLUFFY IN THE HIGHWAY, YOU DOG ABUSER?"  Would they let their 2-year-old daughter or granddaughter wander out in the highway?   Because a dog operates at about that level when it comes to understanding traffic.

Animals in the road are a huge problem for motorists.   Just last week, a man was killed here near me, IN HIS PICKUP TRUCK, when a deer ran into the road, was hit by a car going the opposite direction, and was thrown through the windshield of the man's truck, upon which he ran off the road and hit a tree at 55 MPH - they don't know whether the impact with the deer or the impact with the tree killed him.

Deer are a wild phenomenon, but there is NO DAMN EXCUSE for a dog being in the road ... people ought to be prosecuted for letting it happen.

Rant over.

Lannis

Agree 100%. I own three dogs and ain't a one of 'em allowed off my property without a leash. The only place they're allowed to "run free" is my backyard where there is a 6' concrete fence on all sides. I've had words with neighbors a few times about walking their dogs without leashes. Most look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language.

And oh yes, dress for the crash. Nice move by the dude sliding toward the semi to kick himself out of the way. That was some kind of situational awareness.
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

• Offline Studley   ca

• Trophy Pro  ‐    376
    • Topic Author

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Vancouver
    Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2016, 04.47 pm
    Apr 20, 2016, 04.47 pm
    I agree with most of your post AZBob except the part about walking your dog without a leash. If your dog is trained and responsive to your commands I see no problem with walking a dog off leash. If not, then you should bear all responsibility for your dog and it's actions including liability.

We are proud owners of a retired service dog for the visually impaired. As well trained as she has been as a guide dog I will not walk her without a lead. Once her harness is off and she is "not working" she may be the worst dog regarding traffic we've ever had. If she see's someone or another dog she knows she is so excited to meet and greet all training is out the window.

Studley

• Offline twowheeladdict   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    437

Offline twowheeladdict

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: 2014 trophy se
    • City / Town: Tennessee
    Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2016, 02.40 am
    Apr 21, 2016, 02.40 am
    I do wonder if the dog put him down, or his reaction to the dog put him down. 

I was trained to gun it in the situation where the obstacle is below the wheel to lighten the front end for the impact. 

But, of course we all panic.  I wonder if ABS would have kept him from going down.

ABS would have certainly kept the second bike from going down.

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9939

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2016, 07.20 am
    Apr 21, 2016, 07.20 am
    If your dog is trained and responsive to your commands
    I see no problem with walking a dog off leash.
    I do ! - In some Countries / Towns it is illegal to walk a dog along a footpath
    adjacent to a road / highway unless the dog is on a leash.

Where it's not illegal, I personally think it should be !

Even the most trained and obedient dog in the world, when unrestrained,
    cannot be guaranteed to be immmune from becoming alarmed / distracted etc and running into the road.

Let's face it - we can't even train all Humans to stop themselves getting run over  :005:

• Offline AZBob   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    921

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
    • Wubalubadubdub!
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
    Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2016, 03.28 pm
    Apr 21, 2016, 03.28 pm
    *Originally Posted by Studley [+]
    I agree with most of your post AZBob except the part about walking your dog without a leash. If your dog is trained and responsive to your commands I see no problem with walking a dog off leash.

Well, they are animals, not people. They may be the best trained animal in the world, but if a squirrel runs out past them, they may very well go bounding after it before you have a chance to call them back, right at that moment an automobile is passing by and, well, you know the rest. There are too many circumstances where their animal instinct may take over their training when out in the world that you just can't account for.

In my county, it is illegal to have a dog off your property without a 6' or shorter leash (other than designated dog parks), punishable by a $150 fine, which is a criminal misdemeanor, not a civil citation. And if you have multiple dogs off-leash, you get a fine for each one.

It looks to me like the second guy who went down and was almost hit by the truck locked up his front wheel by grabbing too much front brake -- he didn't come close to hitting the dog, so he basically made a mistake. This is the reason everyone should practice panic breaking and/or do some racing, IMO. While racing, you will re-train yourself not to stomp the brakes at the first sign of trouble. Having ABS also helps.
    Last Edit: Apr 21, 2016, 03.30 pm by AZBob
    2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
    2013 Honda CB1100

tweedy-bunch