Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Horny for a hot Horn?  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Trumpet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
Horny for a hot Horn?
« on: May 24, 2013, 07:07:07 PM »
Some of us have been discussing Horns on another thread...thought it be good to start a dedicated one

I used an RT horn for which I can vouch for as loud and not whimpy. Its a dual horn set up used in 2005 to 2009 R1200RT BMW. As horns go, I am sure that it would hook up just as well as those aftermarket crappy horns that have been giving people trouble. You can find them in the web below; look in the 2005-2009 R1200RT for the pics. Its a dual horn set up. For those of you interested. You can just google these parts number in that site:

http://www.ascycles.com/BMW-Motorcycle-Parts-Fiche.aspx

FYI: If you are looking for farkles for the TT. Sometimes you can find good stuff in the parts for 'sister'cycles vendors like RT or the C14 or the ST etc.
For example, the RT major vendors are Wunderlich and A & S Cyles. In their web you will find things like license plate light bars, shift extenders, extra lighting etc., and assorted little goodies that will probably fit the TT just fine because they are pretty much standard equipment
If I had money I wouldn't be on this board now
I wanna be Hefner's roommate
I trade ignorance and youth for old age anytime

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Horny for a hot Horn?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 11:21:43 AM »
I bought a steibel nautilus some time ago but did not fit it to the Sprint so I was thinking of fitting it to the Trophy.  It has a separate relay as it says it takes 18A.  Some people fit it without using the relay.  As the battery is so easy to access near the front it would be silly not to use it.  Looking on the web now the reviews seem very mixed with people saying  long lasting and loud and others saying they had to replace every year.  Still it is just sitting there so I might give it a go especially if I can find somewhere to mount it so I can leave the original one on.  I will fit an optimate lead at the same time.  This is also because my heated gear (although don't seem to need it on the trophy) uses the same connector.  I will also make up a lead for my tank bag so I can power that.

Lets go and play.

john

Offline Trumpet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 09:42:36 AM »
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/motorcycle-horn-comparison.htm

Sorry to post this for you...its a very bad review on the Steibel

Offline crazyman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Crystal Beach, FL
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 10:16:26 AM »
I've had the Nautilus horn on a couple of my bikes.  They are loud.  They never gave me any problems either. 
I'm looking at putting the FIAMM El Grande on my TT.   $30 well spent.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »
The problem is just where to fit it.  I think one of the problems reported was getting them wet cause problems?

Job

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 05:41:10 PM »
One horn I can tell you NOT to buy is the Wolo!  I bought the Wolo Bad Boy.  I went to all the trouble of removing the fairing and installing up high and just in front of the radiator.  Away from the water and definitely far better protected than the stock horns.   It lasted only four days, until I encountered the first significant rain.  Then it failed.  Sounds like a chicken being strangled.  Of course had to remove the fairing again just to send it back.  So fair warning to all.  Avoid Wolo.

I re installed the stock horn.  Still looking for a louder horn but not anxious to remove the fairing yet again.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Trumpet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 07:35:28 PM »
I was looking at the Hella  Pancake low/high combo which is supposed to be the superior one a cording to website... I can't find them for sale anywhere
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 07:56:07 PM by Trumpet »

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 03:51:23 AM »
Trumpet you suggest the BMW horn.  Do you happen to know the dimensions?
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch