Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Mismatched tires  (Read 3004 times)

Offline Mainerider16

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Portland, Maine
Mismatched tires
« on: April 22, 2016, 01:52:25 am »
New to this forum - haven't figured out how to do replies yet.  Question: Unable to find a Pirelli Angel ST - A for the front tire which needs to be replaced.  Did find a GT - A and Pirelli said they are basically interchangeable and I could run that on front (I still have the ST standard on the rear).  I also heard back from Triumph US and they also felt it would be OK.  Later, I heard from Triumph UK and they said to stay with the recommended "fitment" per the user manual.  Would love any feedback as right now the plan is to have the GT - A on the front and the standard ST on the real.  Not getting much support from the local Triumph dealer.

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
Re: Mismatched tires
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 02:29:09 pm »
had a similar experience with a BMW RT in '03.  OEM tires were unobtainable, but tire vendor sold same tread pattern with a one-greater version number.  I'd normally say that your situation would work, but in my case it did not, handling was terrible and I felt so unsafe I replaced both tires. 

So while I doubt you'd have that experience, be aware it can happen...
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

Offline oakville

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013
  • City / Town: Oakville
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 02:46:18 pm »
From my understanding st's are no longer made and have been replaced with the gt's.  Mine wore out at the same time so replaced both at 17k km (11k miles).  The gt's were better tires in rvery way especially handling.  I would say that unless there is a supply issue (tires or money), replace the set.

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 03:04:40 pm »
The Angel GT is a great tire and you will have no worries, but if it really is bothering you replace both tires.
Serial BMW rider

Offline Mainerider16

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Portland, Maine
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 03:10:56 pm »
Appreciate all the input and suggestions.  Thanx.

Offline AZBob

• Trophy Master
  • Wubalubadubdub!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Chandler, AZ
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 04:13:38 pm »
The Angel GT is the next iteration of the ST. If you can find any ST's anywhere, they're old stock as they're not made any more.

There are numerous tires you can fit to the bike that work well for its application. Unlike in other countries, in the U.S. we can fit whatever tire we want (some countries restrict you to what the manufacturer originally documented as compatible).

Kind of weird to need a front tire before a rear tire.
2014 Triumph Trophy 1200 SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Online Saddle Tramp

• Trophy Master
  • Have Trophy, Will Travel
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE - Black
  • City / Town: N. WI / S. AZ
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2019, 03:03:02 pm »
 :481:  I Know!
But just to clear up some possible misconceptions, the Pirelli Angel ST tires are in fact still being produced. I just had a new Angel ST rear tire installed yesterday, and the DOT Mfr. date stamped in the sidewall was 1518, meaning it was made in the 15th week of 2018. I had run several sets of Pirelli Angel GT tires on my previous BMW K1600GTL, with excellent results (12,000+ miles per tire), but decided to stick with the ST to match the front, primarily due to the $70 price savings offered by the ST over the GT. I will be very curious what kind of mileage I can accumulate on these STs, so I can get a feel for cost per mile vs. what I accustomed to on the GT.
Probationary Twisted Trophies Member (Non-Texan)

Offline Wilko

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE Pacific Blue
  • City / Town: Rowley Regis
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 07:18:56 pm »
Hi  :158: just a quick one, I have PR4 GT fitted to my bike, great tyre, 2 up, full luggage, 5  thousand mile trip, and worn down 1mm, this was confirmed by the tyre supplier, so one to consider.
Paul Wilko

tweedy-bunch