Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: BMW RT Owners  (Read 7356 times)

Offline 2wheeler

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
BMW RT Owners
« on: May 24, 2013, 11:09:38 PM »
I was just wondering if there were any RT owners out there that have been monitoring the Trophy forums (cough cough kgerry)

Offline GPL95928

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
Re: BMW RT Owners
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 11:59:06 PM »
I owned a 2011 RT for 6 months, great bike, I thought my back was trashed and my riding days were over so I sold her. It was a fantastic bike, so enjoyed my run across Nevada's Hwy 50 and up to Salt Lake City.
I found a solution for my back and bout a Scrambler, now 16 months later it is time for a Trophy, pick her up tomorrow.

Offline 2wheeler

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 01:27:46 AM »
Congrats on your new ride. Let us know how the RT compares to the Trophy.

Offline Quinn

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Durham, NC
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 02:16:46 AM »
I went from an '04RT to the Trophy.  I had 110k enjoyable and almost repair free miles on the BMW when I got the urge for a new bike.  Been hearing and reading a lot about the Trophy and the newer RTs, making me think either would be a good replacement , so I made a list of pluses and minuses for both.  Except for price, the RT would probably have been better for me (mostly the lighter weight and experienced mechanics at my known dealer's).   Then I took a test ride on both bikes and the Trophy just blew me away.  Not that the RT wasn't perkier than my '04, but the Trophy was just a whole new critter.  No matter what rpm, no matter what gear, it just kept wanting to go faster and pull harder.  Never found the place where it felt topped out and wanted to be upshifted to catch its breath. 
So, logic out the window; I bought the Trophy.  I've promised myself that I'll spend more time at the gym to stay in shape to handle the extra weight and won't complain about the expected problems I'll have from getting the first model year of a bike that must seem very unique to the Triumph service department at the local dealer. 

-----
------------
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline GPL95928

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 02:25:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by 2wheeler [+]
Congrats on your new ride. Let us know how the RT compares to the Trophy.

I will, thank you.

Offline patches

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: PNW
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 04:56:21 AM »
I had a '99 BMW R1100RT for many years and about 85,000 relatively trouble free miles.  Only one major repair and that was a preemptive strike to avoid a having a major problem at some later date, which as we all know always occur at the most inconvenient time and place.  That said it was a great bike.  Reliable as heck, I did all the work myself, am very familiar with the BMW brand and local dealers.  Would buy another BMW in a heartbeat.

Got the bug for a new bike.  As you can tell from the above a new RT or other BMW would be the logical choice.

Then I test rode the Trophy.

As Quinn said, a whole different experience.  Just spoke to me.  So, like Quinn, out the window went logic and in came a first year model of a brand new design, (something I always said I would never buy, not even a BMW).  And to boot a dealer network and brand I had no real experience with.  I expected I might have a few initial problems what with the new bike and dealers having no more experience servicing it than we do riding it but so what.

No regrets on decision.  Bike has so far proven to be everything I hoped it would be.

Offline Trumpet

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 07:47:12 AM »
I had an RT. No comparison, the TT hands down on every aspect of a sports touring bike.
I can't think of a thing that was better on the RT...well, maybe the fairing comes off easier. RT are very easy to work on.

How much heavier is the TT over the RT, its got to be about 60 pound or so no?
If I had money I wouldn't be on this board now
I wanna be Hefner's roommate
I trade ignorance and youth for old age anytime

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: St Clears
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 08:39:52 AM »
I have previously owned 2 RT's and I am now the proud owner of a Trophy. I feel I must defend the RT a little.
The RT is a great bike, and I had many trouble free miles and happy riding memories on my RT's,  but the Trophy is in my opinion a better bike. However, there are a few points where I think the RT is better.
The computer on the RT is more user friendly than the Trophy. The Cruise Control on the RT is activated by the left hand which I find much easier than the Trophy system. I find the Triumph system awkward to use and still activate the cruise control on the Trophy by bringing my left hand over to switch the cruise control on.
The Trophy has the edge on weather protection, and then there is the engine, Trophy wins hands down. Overall I think the trophy gives you better value for money.
I considered buying another RT before the Trophy, but having had my test ride on the Trophy that was it, deal done!!
I have had my Trophy now for 4 weeks and done just over a 1,000 miles on it, and I can honestly say I have no regrets.
I guess we will all have to wait and see what the new RT will have to offer.

tweedy-bunch