Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Riding Style - RPM's  (Read 5372 times)

Offline kenw

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: Janesville
Riding Style - RPM's
« on: April 22, 2016, 05:37:19 pm »
Hey guys and gals.
New owner, been trolling mostly since I joined.  Also new to both Triumph and sport tourers.
So, I am working my way through the winter, getting the first 500 miles, and "allowed" to bring the revs up through the break in period.  I have a question about your riding style.  Coming from cruisers, and used to loping along at low revs, the 10K redline just kinda blows my mind.  I'm sure I could look up the power and torque curves on this engine for some kind of answer, but it seems more fun and interesting to hear about your riding style. By that I mean, RPM shift points, general cruising around town, through the twisting roads etc.

Are you closer to the buzzing high RPM sport bike crowd, or the quiet cruiser crowd?

How about some specifics?  What is your usual RPM shift point just passing though town?  Versus accelerating to highway speeds.  Or just rolling down the street though town?
Just curious. Primarily because I'm not allowed to go any higher than 5K.:-)
Ken
Still low to the ground but high on livin'

Offline brenchley

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: NE Florida
Re: Riding Style - RPM's
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 06:07:32 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Ken  :400:

Take a look here - we kind of had this discussion earlier:  https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,5165.0.html
IBA #69644

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 06:13:50 pm »
I spent many, many, many years on a American made V twin.
It takes a lot of awareness not to short shift this bike.
After 2 years I hardly use 5 or 6th gear. Most of my riding is in 4th. Anything below 60 and Im in 4th, 5th above that and 6th only on interstates.
For a while you will have to watch your speed and your tach. Keep your rpms up above
4k and you will be fine.

This is a different style of riding. But you knew that going in.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 07:47:42 pm »
After owning my Trophy for a few months now, recently done a 200 mile motorway trip, I'm thinking that maybe Triumph could have made 6th more like an overdrive, bringing the revs/noise level down a bit more when you are cruising at 70 say.

I guess a lot depends on what type of bike you are use to riding, I haven't had an in-line engine or sports type bike for many years now,.....the Trophy is billed as a touring bike after all.

Apart from that, I can't fault the engine, acceleration,power that it puts out. :002:

Offline Lannis

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Appomattox, Virginia
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 09:52:04 pm »
I have several different bikes, and I simply use my sense of "mechanical sympathy" to decide what gear I'm using depending on what I'm doing.

On my Moto Guzzi 1200cc bike, it will let you know if you are making it pull too hard at too low an RPM level.    These Guzzi V-twins like to rev, UNLIKE their in-line V-twin cousins, and you don't want to lug the engine.   As a matter of fact, at cruising speed, it will get better gas mileage using 4th or 5th gear rather than top.

Same on my old Brits.    More old Brits were ruined by people trying to make them "chug" and grabbing lots of throttle below 3000 RPM so they could sound like the Harley they couldn't afford, than any other way.    Despite urban legend, they ALSO like to spin - within reasonable limits, of course.

The Trophy is a very flexible engine.   But like any other bike, I won't whack the throttle open at low RPMs - even with the Triple, you can tell it doesn't like it.

So on any bike, I just listen to it and "feel" it and ride accordingly ....

Lannis

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
  • City / Town: Dallas TX
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 11:10:47 pm »
I try to stay from 4000 rpm to 6000 rpm just feels right to me not lugging and not burning to much gas.
IBA # 59602
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Trophy, 06 Tiger
  • City / Town: Gretna, LA
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 12:20:58 am »
This bike was meant to be ridden any way you want.  Don't get wrapped on the break-in stuff.    Use the power bands when you want to and jump on it when you want to.    Have fun dude!
Big Country

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 01:01:46 am »
Welcome to the forum.
In my urban environment, I don't lug the engine but I don't over rev the RPM's either. I've got a good feel of the bike and I run it where its most comfortable and natural feeling for the bike. After you get use to the TTSE, you'll have the same feeling. The Trophy has plenty of power and torque, so It doesn't need to be revved at the higher RPM range around town and in urban traffic riding conditions. Now upon accelerating onto the interstates, its a different story. I'll rev it to where it needs to go, so that I'm entering the highway at least a little faster than the flowing traffic, sometimes that usually requires the higher RPM"s, but by far not near red lining, I like my bikes too much to make them work that hard.

tweedy-bunch