Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Not connected enough yet??  (Read 1855 times)

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Not connected enough yet??
« on: April 24, 2016, 08:57:19 am »
For those of us who feel there aren't enough distractions while riding...

Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Not connected enough yet??
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 09:02:08 am »
In the UK they are trying hard to completely ban the use of a Mobile Phone
while driving / riding,even "Hands Free" ( hand held use is already banned ),
due the distraction caused when engaged in a Phone call or text "chat".

The product does "look" very nice though - even on a Yamaha !  :008:

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 09:15:24 am »
In France too they are supposed to ban the use of cell phones while driving, but...not sure they are putting much effort into it  :233:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline ZShyster

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Elmhurst, Illinois
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 01:32:25 pm »
This looks like it is trying to be a heads-up display.  Having used one for 7 years in USAF aircraft, it has limited value as they demonstrate it in the video.  First it is not in your field of view as you are looking at the important stuff, i.e. the road ahead.  Second even in the field of view, you need to be able to pick out specific information that is needed for decision making, but the information cannot require significant mental processing.  Speed, altitude, on course indications, etc, all of which you processed mentally before hand and all you are doing in the heads-up display is looking for the indication that you are there.  This appears to be nothing more than a large type screen that will take your eyes and attention away from the road ahead.  What we do is too dangerous to be distracted.  There will not be one of these in my future, I would rather have a voice information system that alerted me to who was calling, and allowed me to answer with a voice command, leaving my eyes and higher level processing to the road ahead.

A rant from an old man.

ZShyster

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 05:50:26 pm »
I think the younger generation have, from their infancy, been learning in different ways than perhaps the average age of those of us on this forum. They literally have different connections in their brains that have them processing inputs differently. (Differently, not necessarily better!)

But hey, this is happening -- devices are being used, drivers do have more inputs coming at them than in the past, and people are taking their eyes off the road and hands off the wheel. Even on motorcycles. I've done it. E.g., I reach across sometimes and look where the cruise control button is! :159:

I live in the city and sometimes forget -- until I get out more in the country -- how literally overwhelming it can be sometimes with all the road-side signs, advertising, overpasses with signs, streetlights, sounds, billboards, flashing storefront lights, etc. The visual and light pollution is, in some areas, completely out of hand.

Thus this old man is all for regulations and technologies studying and experimenting with ways to keep eyes on the road and hands on the wheel as much as possible and deal with inputs in efficient and as-safe-as-possible ways -- cuz the inputs from personal mobile devices aren't going away any time soon.

As an aside, I had to laugh -- right at 0:40, check out that left hand -- vroom vroom?!  :008:

tweedy-bunch