Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Best connection method for sena , triumph, and GPS?  (Read 9146 times)

Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 trophy se
  • City / Town: Cincinnati
Best connection method for sena , triumph, and GPS?
« on: May 01, 2016, 04:15:47 am »
I've noticed through my searches that there seems to be many whom have different setups when trying to get there headsets to work with multiple devices. I'm trying to figure out why so many have different methods of getting this to work. I have an iphone (used for basic directions, phone, and online musice) and a 660 zumo (that i only use for occasional custom routing). when i do plug up the zumo, i want to be able to get directions to my sena headset. Since i can get two devices hooked to the sena (and dont need a passenger to be able to connect, i thought i would do the following:

Connect iphone to trophy
Connect sena to trophy
Connect 660 to sena

this way, i get to use the trophy controls for pandora, phone, and basic gps directions through my sena.
then also get GPS directions for custom routes while using phone for phone conversation and pandora for music through sena. Would this work?...am i missing something?. I occasionally use bike speakers for music, and i would think i still could do this if sena wasnt turned on since everything is connected through the trophy.

Why couldn't i also just pair both the iphone and zumo to bike, then just pair bike to sena? I'm not sure where all the confusion is for either of these methods or why these configurations arent working for many of you.

Can someone explain the "method to the this madness?"

thanks

Greygoose.

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
Re: Best connection method for sena , triumph, and GPS?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 03:39:28 pm »
There are many different methods because people want to use their various devices in different ways. I have my devices connected as you have suggested with the exception of the Zumo. I have the Zumo hardwired to the bike. This method does give the GPS priority and you will hear it in your Sena headset and it will mute other audio sources when the GPS is giving directions.

The downfall of this method is that you cannot make phone calls via the Trophy controls or via voice command to your phone. That is not an issue for me and I can still choose (via the Trophy handlebar controls) to accept an incoming call.

Others want different functionality than what i have described and therefore, choose other connection methods.

Good luck
Serial BMW rider

Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 06:51:26 pm »
I dont have the zumo hardwired.

I'm still not sure why I wouldn't just bluetooth the phone,zumo, and sena to the bike. I would think that everything would be available through the sena at that point. I wasn't aware that you could use the bike controls for making calls. if so, let me know since thats the only "gotcha" that i can come up with.  I would think that all other functions would be available from the bike (answering or rejecting incoming calls, and controlling volume). The sena should be able to make calls by Tapping the Phone Button in stand-by mode to activate the voice dialer of your mobile phone. but i'm not sure this would work if the phone is bluetoothed to the bike (instead of bluetoothed to the sena).  if the zumo is bluetoothed to the bike, and the bike to the sena, then anything coming out of the unit should be transferred to the sena. This "ALL TO THE BIKE" setup would also allow you to switch audio between xm, fm, usb, etc. and hear /control everything through the bike controllers.

anyone know what happens if  you bluetooth the phone to the bike, and the phone to the sena? Does one override the other?

Love to hear if theres any issues with this setup. Given all the different chatter about getting things connected, i get the feeling something is "amuck" with my thought process.

Greygoose

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:31:10 pm by Greygoose »

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 07:35:04 pm »
I'm still not sure why I wouldn't just bluetooth the phone,zumo, and sena to the bike.
There are TWO available Channels on the Trophy audio system.

Chaneel 1 for Headsets only.
Channel 2 for Headsets and other devices.

You have a combination of THREE Bluetooth Headsets / Devices,
Phone, Zumo, and Sena.

As my dear old Dad used to say, "THREE into TWO doesn't go"  !

« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 07:55:10 pm by Coconut »

Offline jesse64

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Scottsdale
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 08:06:49 pm »
Unless I missed it there's no mention of which Sena.  I have the 20s.  GPS is hardwired to the trophy.  20s is BT paired to Device 1 on the bike.  20s is also to BT paired to my phone.  The only thing I can't do is see who an incoming caller is.  I can use the 20s feature of making calls with the 3 stored speed dial phone numbers.  You can also tap the phone button on the 20s and do whatever your phone allows.  This gives me GPS and XM through the Trophy and phone call ability (which I try to avoid).
One problem that has been widely discussed is that there is occasional momentary dropout of BT signal from the Trophy to the headset.  By pairing the 20s to the phone directly you avoid that dropout on phone calls.  The dropout problem is with the Trophy.  People don't even know I'm riding when I'm on the phone.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 08:58:42 pm »
The Trophy audio system will not accept voice commands, it will only transmit a signal to a device.  Since the Trophy has no intercom function in its system if your phone is connected to a GPS that is wired into the audio system you still cannot make hands free calls, you can only receive them.  The phone has to be paired to the headset directly so that you use whatever hands free function it has.  The system on the BMW's has an intercom function, so you can use voice input through the bike's system to access a phone that is paired or otherwise connected to the audio/GPS system.  Some GPS's will allow phone bridging, at least according to the Sena manual, and if yours does you can pair your phone to it and pair it to the Sena and make and receive calls through the GPS.  I've never had a GPS with that capability so I've never tried that.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Greygoose

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 03:39:13 am »
I'm referring to the 20's in my questioning.

Sounds like both the sena and the trophy can only handle two connections. i have no intention of hard wiring my zumo to the bike. so it looks like i've got a couple of options:

1. BT the sena to the trophy and BT the phone to the trophy, BT the zumo to the sena.  this will give me all phone options other than voice dialing through the bike and allow me to listen to gps directions/pandora on the phone. Will also show me who's calling on the main screen. Given that the 20s is a simple button push to make a call, i'm not too concerned about voice dialing. this should also allow me to listen to music coming from trophy (xm, fm radia, and usb). This should also give me BT capabilities to get directions from the  zumo 660 on the rare occasions i need it  for custom routing directions. Damn shame that still dont have a app that accepts custom routes from .gpx file.

So in this case the sena has two inputs (trophy and zumo) and the trophy has one input (iphone).

The problem that comes into play is if the trophy bluetooth isnt playing well and cuts in and out during calls or playback. In that case i guess i have use option 2

2. Basically BT phone and zumo to sena and give up all together on the trophy's system. Then just use the trophy on board stuff for output to speakers

"As my dear old Dad used to say, "THREE into TWO doesn't go"  !"

I should have signed up for a couple of math classed from cocunuts dear old dad. Sounds like i could have actually learned something....

I guess another big question will be: what will the sena 20s do when i hit the call button and try and use the "hey siri" voice commands if the phone is paired to the bike. I've got my phone mounted on a 6 inch extender from the handle bars so i can use it with or without the tank bang. so hitting holding the iphone button down long enough to get to siri is also another option. Just not sure how well it going to play with each other.

thanks for the input. i think i've got a plan

GreyGoose

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 09:08:21 am »
Greygoose : One more for you to think about -

I don't know why you decided not to Hard Wire the Zumo to your Trophy,
when there is a dedicated "Clean" Power supply for it, and an Audio Plug
to connnect directly to the Wiring loom of the Zumo harness,
but if you DID do that you could also :

1.  Connect Zumo hard wired to Trophy,
2.  Connect Sena to Trophy as "HEADSET 1"
3.  Connect Phone by Bluetooth to the Zumo

This would allow all audio from the Trophy Audio system ( Radio / iPod ) to be sent to the Sena,
which would be interrupted by the "NAV" instructions from your Zumo when following a route.

It would also allow Phone calls to be received AND made via the Zumo touch screen,
albeit not the easiest to reach when mounted on the Triumph Sat Nav bracket.

The second Channel of the TRophy ( DEVICE 2 ) then remains free, e.g.  for use by a Pillion headset.

All in all there are many different options to suit different needs, you just have to figure out the best one !

Cheers  :821:

tweedy-bunch