Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Help Please With Mysterious Gasoline Smell  (Read 4236 times)

Offline Gar

• Trophy Pro
  • Rise up and live your life.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Blue TTSE
  • City / Town: Pincher Creek
Help Please With Mysterious Gasoline Smell
« on: May 02, 2016, 05:48:01 pm »
So I've noticed in the last two weeks that after a ride, when I park my bike in the garage there is an overpowering smell of gasoline. Last weekend I took off all the fairing bits to completely expose the engine, ran it for a while and sure enough there was a strong gas smell but there is no leak on the floor and despite shoving my nose into all the crooks and crannies of the engine (including just under the tank) I couldn't smell anything except for near the bottom of the bike by the overflow line but when I open the fuel cap there is no overflow (tank is less than half full). I'm at a loss. It's so bad that I need to leave the bike parked outside for about an hour after each ride after which time the smell completely vanishes. The tank recall has been done but I'm arranging to have it re-done as a possible cause of the problem. My friend (Madnorseman) has no such smell at all from his 2013 Trophy (more kms than mine) and I never had this smell until about two weeks ago. Help anybody?  :440:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:53:49 pm by Gar »
Yamaha 550 Vision, Ninja ZX1000R

Garanthor

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: Help Please With Mysterious Gasoline Smell
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 06:45:53 pm »
This has been reported by other Members too,
and can be very difficult to find when it is a very tiny leak,
as the fuel can evaporate before it reaches anywhere that can be seen,
and well before dripping down onto the garage floor.

This post : Fuel Leak - Fuel Pump Plate discusses a leak
from the fuel pump plate, which needed a replacement Tank to fix it.

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:47:15 am by Coconut »

Offline Gar

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 07:37:59 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
This has been reported by other Members too,
and can be very difficult to find when it is a very tiny leak,
as the fuel can evaporate before it reaches anywhere that can be seen,
and well before dripping down onto the garage floor.

This post : Fuek Leak - Fuel Pump Plate discusses a leak
from the fuel pump plate, which needed a replacement Tank to fix it.

Cheers  :821:

Thanks Coconut. I read that post which is why I'm also proceeding with the tank recall again but I was hoping it would be something I could fix myself. It would have been very helpful if I could have seen the pictures from that post but it looks like they were all deleted.

Garanthor

Offline Ebenezer

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TT Lunar Silver
  • City / Town: Apeldoorn
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 07:55:16 pm »
Like my Sprint GT, my present TT SE leaves a somewhat unpleasant smell of gasoline for a couple of hours when I park the bike in my garage after a longer ride. For me it just isn't alarming enough to have the dealer examine it. Maybe because I have a rather old nose ;-) I always thought it was due to the heat of the engine making the petrol to expand and causing a fume from the overflow. My previous carburetor-Triumph's actually did the same.
Gar, you write that you noticed it the last two weeks. Anything changed just before that?

Hth,

Henk

Offline RocketSteve

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE & Boss Hoss
  • City / Town: Bideford
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 09:43:12 pm »
Found a similar smell with mine, especially after a hot day returning home and the engine heat expands the fuel/fumes through the small holes in the fuel cap.
The two vent holes are almost invisible - have a closer look and you'll find them & smell it!  :156:
To test a man's character, give him (horse) power.

Offline Gar

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 11:59:33 pm »
*Originally Posted by Ebenezer [+]
Like my Sprint GT, my present TT SE leaves a somewhat unpleasant smell of gasoline for a couple of hours when I park the bike in my garage after a longer ride. For me it just isn't alarming enough to have the dealer examine it. Maybe because I have a rather old nose ;-) I always thought it was due to the heat of the engine making the petrol to expand and causing a fume from the overflow. My previous carburetor-Triumph's actually did the same.
Gar, you write that you noticed it the last two weeks. Anything changed just before that?

Hth,

Henk

I had the exact same thoughts about the heat from the engine pushing fumes out the vent hole but then why didn't I ever notice this before now and why does my buddies 2013 Trophy have no such smell? The only thing that's changed in the past 2.5 weeks is the weather (has warmed back up to summer temps) and my installation of a Stebel air horn. The temps on the bike are reporting as normal and coolant levels are good.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 12:01:20 am by Gar »

Garanthor

Offline Gar

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 12:00:21 am »
*Originally Posted by RocketSteve [+]
Found a similar smell with mine, especially after a hot day returning home and the engine heat expands the fuel/fumes through the small holes in the fuel cap.
The two vent holes are almost invisible - have a closer look and you'll find them & smell it!  :156:

I can see the small vent holes but there is physically no fluid going through them....just the smell.

Garanthor

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 09:23:52 pm »
When I first bought my 13 TTSE from it's previous owner, I noticed a strong gas smell coming from the bike after riding it for awhile. I discovered it was coming from the 2 small hoses nipples that are located on either side of the fuel fill potion of the tank. These nipples can be seen by removing the black panel where the tank bag attaches. Both hoses were somehow left unattached to their nipples, most likely by the dealer who serviced the bike, as the guy I bought it from didn't appear capable of removing the seat. Once the hoses were refitted, the bike has never smelled of gas again.
Current Bikes
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Burgman 650
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT

tweedy-bunch