Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Phone Audio  (Read 4484 times)

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Pennsylvania
Phone Audio
« on: May 26, 2013, 12:40:59 AM »
So I just picked up my Trophy yesterday and as it's sitting at the dealer getting it's 500 mile service I had a chance to pour over the manuals a bit. I'm trying to determine the best way to connect my phone into the audio system and it seems as though Triumph really screwed up when they didn't add a feature to active voice dialing (or in the case of my iPhone - Siri).

If I have my connections straight, you can wire in a GPS to the audio out. You could even wire in a splitter and have a radar detector on the input as well. But if I'm reading correctly you can't have a two way connection ie if you were to connect your phone by bluetooth to a Zumo 550 or 665/660 you could control the functions, hear the person on the other end but you wouldn't be able to talk to them. So that leaves you with the option of connection your phone to the bike as the second device. But reading the manual says you can only accept or reject calls, not place them. This sucks! So then the only other option would be to connect your phone as a second input onto your bluetooth headset. Really wish we could control it through the bike though.

Thoughts?
2013 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 (gone)
2004 Suzuki SV650S (gone)

Offline Quinn

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Durham, NC
Re: Phone Audio
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 04:05:09 AM »
Okay, I've got my audio sorted out now.  Sena SMH10 headset bluetoothed to the bike.  Phone bluetoothed to the GPS (Zumo660).  GPS wired to the bike.  And MP3s from a thumbdrive to the USB port on the bike.  The headset intercomm works to the other headset I've got; interrupts the music while connected and music comes back on when disconnected.  Phone directory comes up on the GPS display; incoming calls are anounced and appear on the GPS display also.  I can hear the other person and the other person can hear me.  Now here's the only rub: if I don't mute the radio (using the speaker volume control on the handlebar), music starts up whenever either person stops speaking for even a second.  Not a big problem, just another step in answering a phonecall on the bike. 
-----
------------
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 04:18:52 AM »
That's very interesting to know! I think I might need to update from my zumo 550 to a 660 or 665 (anyone know the difference?). I don't think there's a cable out there for the Zumo 550 that has a female end.

Offline Quinn

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 12:56:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Luckycharms [+]
That's very interesting to know! I think I might need to update from my zumo 550 to a 660 or 665 (anyone know the difference?). I don't think there's a cable out there for the Zumo 550 that has a female end.

The 550 should work okay.  Cable for audio out on zumo cradle to bike can be bought at Radio Shack--male on one end, female on the other.  The 660 does not have the speedometer screen with the big, easy resetable gas guage that the 550 does. 
---- 
------------
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »
Does the audio out on the 660/665 comprise of one jack or two. The 550 has two. 1 3.5mm 3 pole jack for audio and one 2.5mm 2 pole jack for mic in. Most adaptor cables like the one I have from my Autocom system have these two on one end and a single 4 pole male plug in the other. I guess I need a 4 pole male to male adaptor to make it work.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »
The 2.5 is for microphone in so is not users by the trophy.  The 3.5 socket on the 660 plugs straight into the trophy plug.

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 04:44:37 PM »
John if what Quinn says is correct about him being able to talk to his phone in his setup, then the mike is used, just in a 1 cable 4 pole setup vs the two jack input setup on the 550.

It would be nice if someone could confirm how many poles are on the triumph male cable.

Notice the lack of a mic pole in the three pole male end

Offline Quinn

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 07:59:54 PM »
Only my phone is bluetoothed to the GPS.  Only my Headset is bluetoothed to the radio.  The GPS and radio talk over the 660's connector harness to the plugs built into the bike.  Didn't count the connection poles on the cable, but you're right, I don't understand how my voices gets from the headset to the radio then to the GPS and lastly to the phone unlss there's a microphone input on the Zumo's harness.
----

------------

tweedy-bunch