Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Things I observed on my first long ride  (Read 3814 times)

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Trophy, 06 Tiger
  • City / Town: Gretna, LA
Things I observed on my first long ride
« on: May 03, 2016, 10:35:46 pm »
Hi Gents,

I rode to Tampa Fl from New Orleans/and back over the weekend for an NFL draft party. 

A few observations that I read about and never experienced:

- Pull:  I was clicking along about 80 mph and decided to raise the windshield iot see if it made a difference in the noise.    I have the Sena SMHT10R.   I was automatically pulled into the tank/cockpit.  Holy Moly!  That was something.  I read about that but normally leave my windshield all the way down so I was prepared for the pull.   Once I experienced it I adjusted and I was able to ride with a 2.5 inch rise.   

-Sena:  The Sena lasted about 9 hours.   I had it cranked up too.   I wear ear plugs.   However, I wasn't feeling it (noise).   On a long stretch just before I entered a rest area-I shook my head and I must have realigned the speakers (I thought I was wearing my helmet just fine).  However, once I shook my head the sound increased 10 fold.   So, now I know what can be.

-Cruise control:  Worked like a champ.   I was able to raise lower the speed via the toggle button.  I did notice that the bike speedometer was displaying 84/85 mph.   My GPS was 4 to 5 mph less - 79 to 80 mph.   I opted to adjust my speed to 79 (GPS speed) and played it safe hoping that that our brothers in blue would let me ride at that speed.  I donít use the cruise control much.  I like it. 

-My 550 Zumo.   I attempted to use the USB port via the glove box.   I rode with the cover closed.  It looked to be clamping down on my cable.   I thought this was an issue as my GPS just kept going through the start-up process over and over again.   I opened the cover and tried it that way - same thing.   So, I unplugged it and just road out the GPS battery about 4 hours it worked fine.   One observation was that I think when I used the USB it seemed to talk to the bike.  I was only using it in an attempt to pwr the GPS.   I plugged the USB into an adapter in the 12 volt pwr socket and it was hit or miss.   It worked fine for a time that reverted back to repeating the start-up process over and over again.    I'll work with it some more.  I asked my wife if I could just buy the 395 and hard wire the whole system.  I haven't got my answer yet:)

-I have a 36" inseam.   I got pretty tight at times.   I've been going on long weekend rides (8-9 hours on Saturdays) to get in riding shape.   My legs still got tight - not real bad; just enough to cause minor discomfort.  I was able to let my feet hang almost straight at times; and I was able to do leg extensions as well.  It helped.  I popped a few Aleve and that helped more.  I donít like taking meds whilst riding but this worked for me and I didn't get tired. 

- The temp was hovering around 90 degrees F.  All was good.  I am used to riding in LA high temps and humidity.   But this particular day..... once I hit stoplight after stoplight I was ready to tap out.  I was right at the 9 hour mark and I hit a wall of sorts.   I was wearing the REV'IT! Airwave Jacket and REV'IT mesh trousers specifically made for hot/humid weather.   I had SIDI On Road Gore-Tex boots as well.    I started getting light headed and road rage attitude-not good.   I was hydrating and all that.   I should have pulled over and took 10-I didnít I pushed through and rode in a manner that wasn't really safe.   I made a mistake there.  I smelled the barn and ran for the oats.   Lesson learned.  I will always error on the side of safety in the future-the hell with making good time.... 

-I have the Corbin Seat with a back rest - worked like a champ.   

-I wear size 15 shoes.   They take up a lot of space in the Triumph OEM bags/top case.    I opted to bring flip/flops only.   So why am I brining this up--I do a lot of camping.  The bags aren't really that big - in my case.  I typically bring all that I need.  I am not a minimalist.  All my buddies bring things that contribute to the whole group as well.   That said, I used to bungee cord my tent, mat, sleeping bag, Kermit chair, and other things to my Tiger 1050 in addition to the paniers and Givi top case.   I donít want to do that on my Trophy.  It's too pretty:)  I purchased a North Face 90-liter bag.   I think I can place it btwn the back rest and the top case w/o effecting comfort/draft.   I will adjust accordingly. 

The 9 hour ride back to NOLA was awesome.  I think my muscle memory kicked, there was an overcast all day so the temperature was nice-- all was good.   

A lot if this is pretty boring but I felt like sharing.    Cheers BC
Big Country

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
Re: Things I observed on my first long ride
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 11:02:53 am »
Interesting read, thanks for sharing.

I'm only 6'3" (1.91m) and found great comfort with the King Design lower pegs; had to adjust the gear and brake pedal position, but a much more relaxed knee bend.

http://www.knightdesignllc.com/Products/Motorcycle/Triumph/Trophy-SE/Triumph-Trophy-SE-1-Front-Foot-Pegs.html

Love, light and kindness

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 07:25:18 pm »
Thanks for sharing bigcountry - some interesting observations there  :169:

With regards to using the power socket in the Glove box, the lid is designed to keep water out when closed,
so will definitiely trap any cables exiting ffrom it, and may even damage them if you fully close the lid on them !

Regarding the Power socket in the Glove box, be aware that it is a different type of socket
to the one by the riders knee, and if you plug something into it ( like a USB adapter )
with the "other" type of plug, it will shake loose  :138:

See here : Accessory Outlet Plug Type ??

Cheers  :821:

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 TTSE/14 K1600GT
  • City / Town: NEPA
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 08:37:18 pm »
*Originally Posted by bigcountry [+]
The 9 hour ride back to NOLA was awesome.  I think my muscle memory kicked, there was an overcast all day so the temperature was nice-- all was good.   

A lot if this is pretty boring but I felt like sharing.    Cheers BC

660 or so miles in 9 hrs, good average!   Must not have stopped much, maybe two fillups?   Anyhow nice report, and you made it safely, yea.

Offline earthman

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 09:02:15 pm »
I don't think that the panniers are very big either, well not on the inside, there's just too much difference between the outer and inner skins resulting in minimizing the actual luggage space. :157:

A large roll bag strapped on the pillion seat is a must when camping I feel. 

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 11:16:06 pm »
*Originally Posted by GarminDave [+]
Interesting read, thanks for sharing.

I'm only 6'3" (1.91m) and found great comfort with the King Design lower pegs; had to adjust the gear and brake pedal position, but a much more relaxed knee bend.

http://www.knightdesignllc.com/Products/Motorcycle/Triumph/Trophy-SE/Triumph-Trophy-SE-1-Front-Foot-Pegs.html

Love, light and kindness

Dave

Completely agree lowered pegs have made a huge difference to my enjoyment of the bike
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:18:00 pm by davidcumbria »

Offline bigcountry

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Trophy, 06 Tiger
  • City / Town: Gretna, LA
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 07:58:24 pm »
Garmin Dave,
  I looked up the Knight Foot Pegs.  They look like normal pegs from the photo's.  How do they fit that it actually lowers?  I have no problem adjusting the brake, shifter....  Do you have a before and after picture?   

Coconut,
  I'm about ready to take my bike in for its 10,000 maintenance....  I will have them look at the pwr situation (USB/pwr socket).   When I hook up the GPS to my laptop it works fine? 
Big Country

Offline 2slowTrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE Blue
  • City / Town: Dallas TX
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 02:14:10 am »
I bag a few sizes of the North Face Summit duffel bags great to use.
IBA # 59602
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophy's