Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Front Fork Clunking - Not the Usual Suspects  (Read 2195 times)

Offline bansheewc

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Peterborough, Ont.
Front Fork Clunking - Not the Usual Suspects
« on: May 06, 2016, 01:13:05 pm »
So, I've searched and read every thread related to this possible "fork clunk" problem, including the brakes, glovebox, and top triple clamp bolt.

I've re-torqued the steering head bearings and top bolt, and then tried to assess the issue further.  Weirdly, I've noticed 2 things:

1)  If you pump the front forks (on centre stand, for example) there is a definitive click/thunk when the fork decompresses - it feels like it is contacting the top out point - though I have to check the service manual to see if the top out bumper is the hard or soft type.

2)  I've read the whole shebang about rotating bobbins, which is strange on its own - 40 years of riding and I've never encountered this on any bikes with semi-floating disks.  But here's the thing.  If you put the bike on the centre stand, get someone to sit on the pillion so as to raise the front tire off the ground - while squeezing the front brake at the same time, I can then grab the front tire and rotate it fore and aft about 2-3mm, causing a click/thunk each time.  The assembly of the brake disk to carrier, using the bobbins is so loose compared to any bike I've ever owned or worked on (worked in the motorcycle industry for 25 years.)  You can't normally detect slack like this with fully floating disks, let alone the semi-floaters of the TTSE.

When riding down the highway at normal speed, none of this is noticeable, granted.  But when navigating curbs, or potholed parking lots at low speed, you can definitely hear and feel the exact same type of clunking that results from loose steering head bearings.

It's almost like there is a loose rebound adjustment rod in one of the legs.  I'm baffled.

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
Re: Front Fork Clunking - Not the Usual Suspects
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 03:12:09 pm »
Possibly the fork springs tapping the sides of the fork tubes.

Offline bansheewc

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Peterborough, Ont.
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 03:44:50 pm »
Exactly that kind of sound!  But usually the spacers, etc., keep that from happening.  I also figured that was a possibility - so I tried all the possible settings on the suspension - both spring preload and rebound, thinking some combination of added spring tension or reduced top out (increased rebound) might remedy the issue.

Throughout the entire adjustment range, the sound persists.  Maybe you're right - even under tension the springs are long enough that they deflect enough to contact the inner fork leg?

Offline TTSE14

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue TTSE
  • City / Town: Cambridge IL
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 02:31:58 am »
*Originally Posted by bansheewc [+]
So, I've searched and read every thread related to this possible "fork clunk" problem, including the brakes, glovebox, and top triple clamp bolt.

I've re-torqued the steering head bearings and top bolt, and then tried to assess the issue further.  Weirdly, I've noticed 2 things:

1)  If you pump the front forks (on centre stand, for example) there is a definitive click/thunk when the fork decompresses - it feels like it is contacting the top out point - though I have to check the service manual to see if the top out bumper is the hard or soft type.

2)  I've read the whole shebang about rotating bobbins, which is strange on its own - 40 years of riding and I've never encountered this on any bikes with semi-floating disks.  But here's the thing.  If you put the bike on the centre stand, get someone to sit on the pillion so as to raise the front tire off the ground - while squeezing the front brake at the same time, I can then grab the front tire and rotate it fore and aft about 2-3mm, causing a click/thunk each time.  The assembly of the brake disk to carrier, using the bobbins is so loose compared to any bike I've ever owned or worked on (worked in the motorcycle industry for 25 years.)  You can't normally detect slack like this with fully floating disks, let alone the semi-floaters of the TTSE.

When riding down the highway at normal speed, none of this is noticeable, granted.  But when navigating curbs, or potholed parking lots at low speed, you can definitely hear and feel the exact same type of clunking that results from loose steering head bearings.

It's almost like there is a loose rebound adjustment rod in one of the legs.  I'm baffled.

My 2014 TTSE with just 1500 miles does the same exact clunk noise since new.  The dealer assured me that the headset is properly tightened, and there was no problem; yet the clunk noise persists.  It is quite easy to duplicate the noise it makes by placing the bike on the center stand, and pushing down on the rear of the bike to raise the front wheel off of the ground, and letting it bounce up and down.  I also could feel no play in the head bearings.  My theory is the brakes are somehow the cause, but haven't investigated why yet.
2014 - Trophy SE - Pacific Blue
1988 - Honda Goldwing (Sold)