Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Nail in tyre..  (Read 3650 times)

Offline Iain

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Stornoway
Nail in tyre..
« on: May 08, 2016, 07:10:41 pm »
I've got a nail in my brand new tyre...can it be permanently repaired? Got to go back to the dealer soon anyway to replace the TPMS.
Honda VFR 2002
Sprint ST 2007
Sprint ST 2009
Sprint GT 2011
Trophy SE 2013

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Nail in tyre..
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 07:22:08 pm »
Repair it yourself with one of the sticky worm kits and you should be fine for a good few thousand miles. In the UK I think you will struggle to get a tyre place to do the repair for you as they will say it is illegal. At least that is what happened to me in a similar situation.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 08:02:39 pm »
There is ( or at least was ?? ) a "British Standard" ( BSAU159f )  for the repair of motorcycle tyres.

Summarising :

• No repairs allowed in side walls
  • Repairs can only be made to the area within 25% of the centre of the tyre
  • Punctured tyres must be inspected by an "expert"
  • No repairs allowed on "Z" Speed rated tyres
  • Only two repairs per tyre are allowed up to the J (62mph) speed rating
  • Up to the J rating, repairs no bigger than 6mm are allowed
  • Only one repair per tyre is allowed up to the V (over 130mph with 155mph maximum) speed rating
  • Up to the V rating repairs no bigger than 3mm are allowed.
  • All repairs must be carried out with a mushroom-type plug,
    which fits into the puncture hole from the inside, and bonds with the tyre by vulcanisation.

Offline DaMonk45

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TEX
  • City / Town: Houston
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 08:51:25 pm »
Gummy Worm and rubber cement.
Plug it, Air it up.
Check it tomorrow AM

Carry On

Offline Wscad

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 10:04:35 pm »
I had the same problem last year. In the middle of nowhere in Scotland, a new PR4 with 500 miles on it had a puncture. The sticky worm repair kit got me out of jail. As luck would have it, the puncture was bang in the centre of the tyre and a better repair could be made.

The tyre was removed from the rim, puncture hole cleaned out and a mushroomed plug glued in from the inside of the tyre.

Two weeks later we are in Croatia. Temp was 45 degrees C one day & I hit 140MPH, 2 up on a private road  :017:

The crucial bit here was, the puncture was in the centre of the tyre.

After this encounter, I have become a little wary about punctures on a bike & have bought some stuff you put into your tyre & a mini compressor. I will post the info over the next coming days.

Cheers for now

Offline OhioWinger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Southern Ohio
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 10:09:58 pm »
*Originally Posted by Wscad [+]

Two weeks later we are in Croatia. Temp was 45 degrees C one day & I hit 140MPH, 2 up on a private road  :017:

Wait a minute, I thought it was governed at 135mph......Now I may have to try. :018:

Offline Wscad

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 10:26:25 pm »
I have pics of the speed on the sat nav. On the private speedtrack  :018:

Plus pics of the temp display on the bike.

When I was on the private speedtrack, the bike was still increasing speed, but ever so slow.

I think 1 up.....all luggage off.....screen down + head down.... the bike would do 150mph on the clock.

On the right road.  :156:

Offline janfmiller

• Trophy Master
  • No such thing a bad weather; just wrong clothes!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Superior Wisconsin
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 03:04:45 pm »
Had a puncture at about 6K on a PR4.  Used a Stop and Go repair I'd just received.  Plug was slippery with gunk, not adhesive.  I was told it has to be or the tool will not work.  I leaks about 4-5 pounds in 24 hours so a FAIL I'd say.  Kills me to have to replace it at 50% wear, $$$ hobby.  I plan to repatch with gummy strings, and use it only locally until my first long trip of the rear, I'll replace both tires before that.

I patched a tire on my adventure machine at about 3K with gummy strings, which I've used for years.  Held fine until about 8500 miles, then started a very slow leak, 1-2 pounds very couple of days.  Spit on the wound told the tale, tiny bubbles.  I was in the Middle of Nowhere around Leakey TX so I elected to re-patch it, only needed about 1K more before going near Atlanta and getting new tires was in the plan.  Patch held for about 800 miles, then started a very slow leak.

Of course the tire was getting near the wear bars at that point.  Was it a good idea??  Most assuredly not, but... got me through..   I'd like to say I took it easy on the patched tire, but ... I just can't.... (:>
1977 Suzuki TS-185
1974 Kawasaki Z-1 903
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2017 Honda Africa Twin NON-DTC
2021 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES ( in the mail )...

tweedy-bunch