Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: New Rear Tyre - What mileage?  (Read 19244 times)

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
New Rear Tyre - What mileage?
« on: May 26, 2013, 11:22:36 AM »
I got caught out in Scotland and had to change a rear tyre (my old Honda used to have to be changed at 8,000). The mileage was 5,200. At what mileage did you change your tyres?
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
Re: New Rear Tyre - What mileage?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 06:45:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by Berber [+]
I got caught out in Scotland and had to change a rear tyre (my old Honda used to have to be changed at 8,000). The mileage was 5,200. At what mileage did you change your tyres?

At 5,000 mine are getting pretty flat in the middles  :005: Still legal and seem to be handling OK. I'm hoping they last until my Spain trip in September but it doesn't look that way.
What tyre have had fitted? The Angel GT is supposed to supersede ST and give longer life as it is a dual compound tyre.
Or have you gone outside the box and had something else fitted.

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:23:07 AM »
Hi Chaos

The garage mis-ordered and by the time I got there they only had the 190/55 instead of the 190/50. it is a low profile tyre. A call to the Triumph dealership didn't help as they said it 'shouldn't ' effect the warranty. Anyway I didn't have much choice as the tyre was down to the beading. It appears to have made no difference and 300 miles later is still okay. If anything it is better than the original as it appears to hunker down better on the bends. Also being a lower profile tyre, allows more of my foot to make contact with the floor when stopped.

George Harrison

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:30:25 PM »
Surely a 190 50 is lower profile than a 190 55?  And don't call me Shirley?

Offline alapues

• Trophy Member
  • Si hay que ir, se va!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Launch ed.
  • City / Town: Zaragoza
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 10:51:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chaos [+]
At 5,000 mine are getting pretty flat in the middles  :005: Still legal and seem to be handling OK. I'm hoping they last until my Spain trip in September but it doesn't look that way.
What tyre have had fitted? The Angel GT is supposed to supersede ST and give longer life as it is a dual compound tyre.
Or have you gone outside the box and had something else fitted.

Chaos

I don't reccomend you coming to Spain in summer with your actual tyres, specially if you want to ride mountain roads, they are usually rather abrasive and rather hot, so the degradation happpened very fast, it's a pitty I didn't take before and after pics, but aprox 1.000 km on a warm weekend (4-5th of May) had let my back tyre rather flat; I'll made a short trip of about 500 km next week and then change it (well, probably both of them, but keeping the front one for future use) before going to the Alps from 13 to 23th of June
V'sssssss

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:31:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Berber [+]
Hi Chaos

The garage mis-ordered and by the time I got there they only had the 190/55 instead of the 190/50. it is a low profile tyre. A call to the Triumph dealership didn't help as they said it 'shouldn't ' effect the warranty. Anyway I didn't have much choice as the tyre was down to the beading. It appears to have made no difference and 300 miles later is still okay. If anything it is better than the original as it appears to hunker down better on the bends. Also being a lower profile tyre, allows more of my foot to make contact with the floor when stopped.

What make is it dude?

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 12:30:18 AM »
Isn't the 190/55 the OEM size rear tyre?

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 12:54:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by saaz [+]
Isn't the 190/55 the OEM size rear tyre?

Sorry guys I guess I got mixed up. It is the 190/50. It is also an Angel ST. So same tyre just lower profile.

Anyway you knew what I meant didn't you.  :187:

George Harrison