Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Clean rims  (Read 9013 times)

Offline rvbobby

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Raleigh nc
Clean rims
« on: May 12, 2016, 02:09:34 am »
I know my flat grey rims will never shine but does anyone use any "special" product to keep them super clean?
I clean my blue knight after every ride and can't seem to clean the rims to my satisfaction.
Thanks in advance

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
Re: Clean rims
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 02:38:30 am »
Following as I've got the same problem -- if you can call it that; let's just call it a question.

I asked this same thing when very new to the forum and didn't get any lightning bolts of inspiration or magical answers.

Online brenchley

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: NE Florida
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 11:25:58 am »
I haven't had to resort to anything stronger than dish soap and water - so far, that's been enough.   :002:  I was somewhat surprised as to how easy they seemed to keep clean.
IBA #69644

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 02:19:21 pm »
You are already doing what is the best thing to keep you rims clean... by keeping them clean.  :002:  Brake dust will coat your rims, especially the front, no matter what you do.  Best thing to do is not to let that stuff settle for a long period and bed into the finish.

You could wax the rims, which will help reduce dust from settling on the finish and wash off easier, but it isn't a permanent solution.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 04:11:04 pm »
.....dish soap.....

I'd NEVER use dish soap on any vehicle  :110:

It usually contains"stuff" that will not do your Bike any good over time  :012:

It's great for removing dried on food from plates, dishes, pots and pan but it is likely to
strip off any wax coating, and can leave the paint surface dried out and unprotected. 

It's also more "searching" than proper[ vehicle detergent,
so will penetrate further, and products containing Salt may contribute to early corrosion !

Online brenchley

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2016, 04:59:38 pm »
*Originally Posted by Coconut [+]
I'd NEVER use dish soap on any vehicle  :110:

So don't...  If you're that concerned about the properties of dish soap maybe you shouldn't use it to wash your dishes either - sounds like it could be dangerous!
IBA #69644

Offline Zebraranger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 16 Moto Guzzi Griso
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2016, 05:43:22 pm »
Coconut is correct, don't use dish soap as a wash. Anyone in the automotive industry and automotive finish industry knows this and its all over the web. Here's a few reasons why you don't want to use it on you cars and bikes.
Consumer Reports: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2012/12/do-s-and-don-ts-of-washing-your-car/index.htm
Meineke: http://www.meineke.com/blog/can-use-dish-soap-wash-car/
Kellys Garage: http://www.kellysgarage.ca/service-tips/50-why-you-shouldnt-use-dish-soap-to-wash-your-car.html

Online brenchley

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2016, 06:16:31 pm »
*Originally Posted by rvbobby [+]
I know my flat grey rims will never shine but does anyone use any "special" product to keep them super clean?

Again, if you don't want to use dish soap - don't.  If you don't want to wash your rims with dish soap, which is what the original question referred, then don't. 
IBA #69644