Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: QUESTION ON A RIDE TO THE NORTH WEST (USA)  (Read 4052 times)

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 TTSE
  • City / Town: SWFL
QUESTION ON A RIDE TO THE NORTH WEST (USA)
« on: May 15, 2016, 04:04:39 pm »
Four of us are planning a ride from PA to the NW US.    Pretty much going across RT US 2 from MI where we pick up our fourth rider.  I have a lot of the trip planned up to and including the Redwood Nat'l Forest after going through WA and OR, so my question is after the redwoods what don't we want to miss in Northern CA.   Our plan was to go from there down to Sequoia,Kings Canyon and then on to Hoover Dam towards home.   But when looking at the map of N CA there looks to be enough to  keep a person busy for days.   If some of our members out there or anyone who has traveled out that way could give us some tips on what not to miss as well as roads to ride that are a must.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 04:08:10 pm by nervouswreck »

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Vancouver
Re: QUESTION ON A RIDE TO THE NORTH WEST (USA)
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 05:51:12 pm »
Hwy 36 is not to be missed IMO. http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway36.htm you can make a nice loop if you incorporate Hwy 3 & 299. For a few years we used to gather in Weaverville and ride locally. You are going to be in Humbolt county so mind your own business and I would advise limited trail walks or riding.

Studley

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 05:54:52 pm »
Swing by Crater Lake on the way to the Redwoods.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline plgoddard

• Trophy Pro
  • IBA #61353
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Detroit
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 06:45:25 pm »
*Originally Posted by Studley [+]
Hwy 36 is not to be missed IMO. http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway36.htm you can make a nice loop if you incorporate Hwy 3 & 299. ... You are going to be in Humbolt county so mind your own business and I would advise limited trail walks or riding.

Studley
The site referenced makes that road look really nice; however, "You are going to be in Humbolt county so mind your own business and I would advise limited trail walks or riding." -- what does that mean? Gangs and/or wildlife? I did some googling but one can't trust everything they read on the net -- what do you mean by that?

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 08:49:56 pm »
*Originally Posted by plgoddard [+]
The site referenced makes that road look really nice; however, "You are going to be in Humbolt county so mind your own business and I would advise limited trail walks or riding." -- what does that mean? Gangs and/or wildlife? I did some googling but one can't trust everything they read on the net -- what do you mean by that?

Gangs, as in M/C Gangs?    O sh#t, thanks for the warning.   I am pretty good at minding my own business as long as that works for the other side.

Crater Lake is a good idea atrophy, thanks.

Will mark Hws 3, 36 and 299, thanks plgoddard.

Offline Studley

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 09:51:59 pm »
Humbolt County is pot country. "Some people say," those who are "active" in the area do not take kindly to people who are perceived as looking for or, stumbling upon their operation.

Or so I've heard.

Studley

Offline USAROCKS

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: SE Washington
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 12:33:11 am »
Nervouswreck, how far are you planning on going across Washington?
The North Cascades highway (hwy 20) is definitely a bucket list ride, then there is Chinook pass through Mt. Rainier.
Oregon hwy 101 is also fun ans Crater lake is awesome.
Northern Cal., I would recommend Lassen Volcanoes Natl. park, it's not a big park but it has some great scenery.
Safe travels.

Offline nervouswreck

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 12:40:13 am »
*Originally Posted by USAROCKS [+]
Nervouswreck, how far are you planning on going across Washington?
The North Cascades highway (hwy 20) is definitely a bucket list ride, then there is Chinook pass through Mt. Rainier.
Oregon hwy 101 is also fun ans Crater lake is awesome.
Northern Cal., I would recommend Lassen Volcanoes Natl. park, it's not a big park but it has some great scenery.
Safe travels.

We plan to hit Rainier and then south to St. Helens and on in to OR and CA.