Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 500 mile service - Final Drive fluid change  (Read 10000 times)

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Pennsylvania
500 mile service - Final Drive fluid change
« on: May 26, 2013, 02:23:23 PM »
Just making everyone aware of my experience at my dealership with dropping it off for it's 500 mile service. I asked what was involved and included in the list was inspect the final drive fluid level. That seemed strange to me so I asked "Don't you mean replace?" and he said no. So when I got home I looked it up and sure enough it's replace not inspect. So Tuesday when they open I'm going to call and make sure it's replaced. It could be just the the motor oil used for break in, which they replace a semi-synthetic oil with a synthetic one. Maybe they are replacing the final drive oil with a different weight used for break in vs the rest of its life.

Either way make sure your final drive fluid is replaced at the 500 mile mark.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 (gone)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (gone)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: 500 mile service - Final Drive fluid change
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 05:22:44 PM »
For sure it is replace.  A lot of dealers are missing this.  The oil is pretty expensive so don't be terribly surprised.  But have it done. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Trumpetman14

• Trophy Pro
  • You Gotta Love her!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wendell, NC
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 08:49:27 PM »
Cheer up Moto-Brother!  The "Final Drive" fluid volume is about 2 tablespoons at most. It is in the actual casing of the rear-most section of the driveshaft on the rear wheel hub! Mine was replaced at the 500 mile mark, I was there and they used the exact same stuff as the factory fluid and the original fluid was very clean..Not likely to be a problem if you haven't been hole punching it at the quarter mile track routinely during the break-in period!!  :017:  -Dr Ron
Growing old MAY BE mandatory...But
Growing up is OPTIONAL !!

Offline Luckycharms

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 08:55:06 PM »
Better to be safe then stuck on the side of the road in the rain at o' dark thirty in bum f*#k no where because of a final drive failure. (But seriously thanks for the heads up, much to do about nothing).
2013 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
2007 Triumph Tiger 1050 (gone)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (gone)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 03:57:30 AM »
Trumpetman 13

Sorry but can't agree with you.  It should be replaced at the initial breakin.  I'm not sure why you would rely on visual inspection.  Triumph would not needlessly recommend replacing the oil.  If Triumph were in the business of needlessly replacing fluids they certainly wouldn't recommend the extended engine oil changes.

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline crazyman

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Crystal Beach, FL
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:18:16 AM »
I just had my TT's first service done Saturday.  I verified that the shop did the final drive gear oil change.  $9.00 on the invoice.  $140 total cost for the service.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 05:08:49 PM »
Wow, $9.00 is cheap.  The final drive uses fully synthetic hypoid oil which is a bit pricey. I would have thought they would charge you more than that just for the oil.  True the final drive doesn't hold much but it needs to be drained then refilled to the sight level. 
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 05:12:26 PM »
On my bike's first service the dealer did not have the correct oil for the final drive. It took a week for them to get the right stuff in! Apparently their supplier had sent semi-synthetic rather than fully-synthetic. I said that they should send somebody down to a local automotive supplier with some petty cash. Their response - they were short of staff!  :005:

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

tweedy-bunch