Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TPMS bad news/good news  (Read 3864 times)

Offline kniterider

• Trophy Pro
  • Dont smoke, gamble or drink BUT I DO RIDE
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 14 TTSE 86 GL1200
  • City / Town: Dunkirk, Md
TPMS bad news/good news
« on: May 17, 2016, 07:50:30 pm »
Well just got off the 24/7 hotline to triumph USA. Coconut was correct. the settings for the tpms can not be adjusted.  BUT The dealer CAN disable it completely so I can go to the more user friendly Garmin TPMS so I can set the pressure limits instantly thus allowing me to switch to my preferred Dark side roots
A nasty weather day riding is still better than any day working

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
Re: TPMS bad news/good news
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 12:56:51 am »
I have a Garmin 590LM with the Garmin TPM sensors. I tried to use the sensors on TTSE and the front sensor brushes the front brake caliper. So if I want to use the Garmin system, I'll need to change the front wheel valve stem to a straight metal one. Another thing to consider with the Garmin system is with some bikes the rear tire sensor isn't able to reliably transmit it's signal to the 590LM.  Something to do with interference. The Garmin system wont work on my K1200lt because of the problem.

So before you decide to go and ditch the OEM TPMS make sure the Garmin system will work on the TTSE. The next time I take the TTSE out, I'll see if the Garmin rear sensor can communicate with the 590LM.

The Garmin system has a lot going for it if it works. Replaceable batteries, small sensors, easy to change a sensor out and pair it with the 590LM. But it needs to work reliably.
Current Bikes
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Burgman 650
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 04:04:50 am »
*Originally Posted by azccj [+]
I have a Garmin 590LM with the Garmin TPM sensors. I tried to use the sensors on TTSE and the front sensor brushes the front brake caliper. So if I want to use the Garmin system, I'll need to change the front wheel valve stem to a straight metal one. Another thing to consider with the Garmin system is with some bikes the rear tire sensor isn't able to reliably transmit it's signal to the 590LM.  Something to do with interference. The Garmin system wont work on my K1200lt because of the problem.

So before you decide to go and ditch the OEM TPMS make sure the Garmin system will work on the TTSE. The next time I take the TTSE out, I'll see if the Garmin rear sensor can communicate with the 590LM.

The Garmin system has a lot going for it if it works. Replaceable batteries, small sensors, easy to change a sensor out and pair it with the 590LM. But it needs to work reliably.
I expect it will work perfectly. On my other bikes, I use the pressure-pro system for motorcycles. The sensors seem to last at least ten years, but the batteries can only be replaced at the factory. The sensors cost $50.00 each, but the battery replacement cost $40.00, so I will probably just buy new ones if my batteries ever go dead anyway.  BTW, I use the same sensors on my RV, but with a different Pressure Pro display.

-Don-  Cold Springs Valley, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 04:07:59 am »
*Originally Posted by kniterider [+]
Well just got off the 24/7 hotline to triumph USA. Coconut was correct. the settings for the tpms can not be adjusted.
But then why do they all seem to alarm at  a much different PSI?

-Don-  Cold Springs Valley, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline kniterider

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 06:54:34 am »
Not sure, I did not know that they were going off at different pressures.  I just know that they can not be adjusted.  I need to reset my rear one to 29 psi  and I was going to install straight metal valve stems so there would be no twisting of the valve stem due to centrifugal forces at highway speed from the added weight of the sensor

Offline kniterider

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 06:57:12 am »
When I did the USA 4 corners ride, I used the other two sensors on my buddies bike.  as long as we rode within 10 feet I got a reading on his bike.  when I towed my cargo trailer to Texas 2 years ago to pick up another smaller bike and tow it to Michigan with my wing  I had the the trailer tires monitored. worked fine

Offline azccj

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Glendale, AZ
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 06:22:23 am »
Today I went for a ride on the TTSE. But before I left I put one of the Garmin TPM sensors on the rear wheel. The rear sensor continuously lost contact with the Garmin 590LM, just like it did on my K1200LT when I tried using the Garmin sensors on that bike. Just so you know Garmin sent me a complete new 590LM and 2 new sensors when I contacted them about the problem on my LT, and the new items worked no better than the originals. So I don't think the Garmin option is going to replace the Trophy OEM system unless Garmin finds a solution to the problem.

After the problem with the Garmin system on my LT,  I went back to what I had been using before I got the 590LM, http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/59369/i/tiregard-handlebar-tire-pressure-monitoring-systems . This system has worked flawlessly on my LT and I would think it would work on the TTSE as well, but I haven't tried it yet. The small sensors use replaceable batteries which last for years, I'm still on my original set, 3 plus years. The display unit uses a single AAA battery which last over a year and automatically shuts down when there isn't a bike movement, then comes back on all by itself when you drive off. Very slick!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 06:32:58 am by azccj »
Current Bikes
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Burgman 650
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT

Offline Michel1960

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Quebec
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 04:12:11 pm »
Do Garmin sensors work with the Zumo 660 ?
Honda 350 ( old),Suzuki 400 GS 1975
Yamaha Maxim 750 1983,Yamaha Venture Royale 1984,Honda St1300A 2003
Bmw K1600GTL 2012
Triumph Trophy SE 2014

tweedy-bunch