Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: TomTom / Garmin  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Pottsie

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Nether Whitacre
TomTom / Garmin
« on: May 18, 2016, 05:24:12 pm »
Hi

I am now the proud owner of a TT; it has a cable wired in for a Garmin Satnav but I have a TomTom Rider 400 which is new and I wish to keep. Rather than having to take all the tupperware off which is what I am guessing I will have to do to take out the Garmin power lead to replace with the TomTom, does anyone know if I simply change the connection at the end of the Garmin will that work or is there something fancy in side or the plug to make this not possible.

Thanks

Pottsie

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
Re: TomTom / Garmin
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 05:45:09 pm »
You should be able to splice into the Garmin cable without a problem. There is a Garmin pin out diagram attached.
Serial BMW rider

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 09:19:20 pm »
G'day,

I've a Tom tom Rider 400 mounted in the TTSE system using the Triumph power lead. It's spliced in and works a treat. The TT R400 power base fits the TTSE Sat Nav mount (seems a universal fit with Garmin products).

Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Black 2016 TTSE
  • City / Town: Ojai
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 10:45:16 pm »
Hey guys, if my next bike, between now and December, ends up being the Trophy I will want to put Nav on it...what's better, TomTom or Garmin?

Mike

Offline Pottsie

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Nether Whitacre
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 11:38:26 pm »
Thanks for the advice - the pin layout seems to answer a question for me and so I can just use the power + - which is all the Tom Tom needs

Mike - for my two pennies worth I agonised over which one to get TOM TOM or Garmin. Ultimately I made the decision to go with TomTom but it had to be the TomTom Rider 400 (which has just been supersceded by the 410). The reason - well it has speakers which some of the other models don't but most importantly it, like a mobile phone, works in portrait as well as landscape and that makes all the difference in the world. Think of all the wasted information you see across a landscape screen to the sides where you're not heading, on the 400 you put it in portrait and you see so much more of the road ahead; and the mount allows you to rotate it instantly should you want to mess with the menus etc which are easier in landscape.

It's just my view and I can't say it was cheap and it has some totally useless features like planning a twisty or thrill route (don't bother!) but I'm more than happy with it.

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Black 2016 TTSE
  • City / Town: Ojai
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 11:42:52 pm »
*Originally Posted by Pottsie [+]
Thanks for the advice - the pin layout seems to answer a question for me and so I can just use the power + - which is all the Tom Tom needs

Mike - for my two pennies worth I agonised over which one to get TOM TOM or Garmin. Ultimately I made the decision to go with TomTom but it had to be the TomTom Rider 400 (which has just been supersceded by the 410). The reason - well it has speakers which some of the other models don't but most importantly it, like a mobile phone, works in portrait as well as landscape and that makes all the difference in the world. Think of all the wasted information you see across a landscape screen to the sides where you're not heading, on the 400 you put it in portrait and you see so much more of the road ahead; and the mount allows you to rotate it instantly should you want to mess with the menus etc which are easier in landscape.

It's just my view and I can't say it was cheap and it has some totally useless features like planning a twisty or thrill route (don't bother!) but I'm more than happy with it.

Nice! Like I said, I'm test riding one on Friday and hoping to solidify my decision on the new bike sometime this year. If it is the Trophy I'll buy the Nav so do me a favor and let me know how the 'conversion' or 'splice' works out...maybe something I need to do later when and if I buy the bike!

Speaking of which and if you don't mind my asking, what bike did you come from prior to the Trophy?

Mike

Online Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 03:29:46 am »
A note for any U.S. / Canadian members
referring to the Pin-Out diagram below,
( which was originally obtained directly from Garmin ),
that the labels next to the drawing of Pins 1 & 2