Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] Topic: TomTom / Garmin  (Read 3786 times)

• Offline Pottsie

• Trophy Member  ‐    24
    • Topic Author

Offline Pottsie

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Nether Whitacre
    TomTom / Garmin
    on: May 18, 2016, 05.24 pm
    May 18, 2016, 05.24 pm
    Hi

I am now the proud owner of a TT; it has a cable wired in for a Garmin Satnav but I have a TomTom Rider 400 which is new and I wish to keep. Rather than having to take all the tupperware off which is what I am guessing I will have to do to take out the Garmin power lead to replace with the TomTom, does anyone know if I simply change the connection at the end of the Garmin will that work or is there something fancy in side or the plug to make this not possible.

Thanks

Pottsie

• Offline azgman   us

• Trophy Master  ‐    726

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
    • Addicted to curves
    • Bike: 2014 Trophy
    • City / Town: Casa Grande
    Re: TomTom / Garmin
    Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 05.45 pm
    May 18, 2016, 05.45 pm
    You should be able to splice into the Garmin cable without a problem. There is a Garmin pin out diagram attached.
    Serial BMW rider

• Offline Travelling2bob   au

• Trophy Master  ‐    544

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
    • City / Town: Sale
    Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 09.19 pm
    May 18, 2016, 09.19 pm
    G'day,

I've a Tom tom Rider 400 mounted in the TTSE system using the Triumph power lead. It's spliced in and works a treat. The TT R400 power base fits the TTSE Sat Nav mount (seems a universal fit with Garmin products).

Wherever you go, there you are.
    Triumph Trophy SE
    Triumph Thunderbird 1600
    Triumph Sprint ST
    Ducati ST3

• Offline Mike2411   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    398

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Black 2016 TTSE
    • City / Town: Ojai
    Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 10.45 pm
    May 18, 2016, 10.45 pm
    Hey guys, if my next bike, between now and December, ends up being the Trophy I will want to put Nav on it...what's better, TomTom or Garmin?

Mike

• Offline Pottsie

• Trophy Member  ‐    24
    • Topic Author

Offline Pottsie

• Trophy Member
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Nether Whitacre
    Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 11.38 pm
    May 18, 2016, 11.38 pm
    Thanks for the advice - the pin layout seems to answer a question for me and so I can just use the power + - which is all the Tom Tom needs

Mike - for my two pennies worth I agonised over which one to get TOM TOM or Garmin. Ultimately I made the decision to go with TomTom but it had to be the TomTom Rider 400 (which has just been supersceded by the 410). The reason - well it has speakers which some of the other models don't but most importantly it, like a mobile phone, works in portrait as well as landscape and that makes all the difference in the world. Think of all the wasted information you see across a landscape screen to the sides where you're not heading, on the 400 you put it in portrait and you see so much more of the road ahead; and the mount allows you to rotate it instantly should you want to mess with the menus etc which are easier in landscape.

It's just my view and I can't say it was cheap and it has some totally useless features like planning a twisty or thrill route (don't bother!) but I'm more than happy with it.

• Offline Mike2411   us

• Trophy Pro  ‐    398

Offline Mike2411

• Trophy Pro
    • Bike: Black 2016 TTSE
    • City / Town: Ojai
    Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 11.42 pm
    May 18, 2016, 11.42 pm
    *Originally Posted by Pottsie [+]
    Thanks for the advice - the pin layout seems to answer a question for me and so I can just use the power + - which is all the Tom Tom needs

Mike - for my two pennies worth I agonised over which one to get TOM TOM or Garmin. Ultimately I made the decision to go with TomTom but it had to be the TomTom Rider 400 (which has just been supersceded by the 410). The reason - well it has speakers which some of the other models don't but most importantly it, like a mobile phone, works in portrait as well as landscape and that makes all the difference in the world. Think of all the wasted information you see across a landscape screen to the sides where you're not heading, on the 400 you put it in portrait and you see so much more of the road ahead; and the mount allows you to rotate it instantly should you want to mess with the menus etc which are easier in landscape.

It's just my view and I can't say it was cheap and it has some totally useless features like planning a twisty or thrill route (don't bother!) but I'm more than happy with it.

Nice! Like I said, I'm test riding one on Friday and hoping to solidify my decision on the new bike sometime this year. If it is the Trophy I'll buy the Nav so do me a favor and let me know how the 'conversion' or 'splice' works out...maybe something I need to do later when and if I buy the bike!

Speaking of which and if you don't mind my asking, what bike did you come from prior to the Trophy?

Mike

• Offline Coconut   gb

• Trophy God  ‐    9939

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: South Birmingham
    Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 03.29 am
    May 19, 2016, 03.29 am
    A note for any U.S. / Canadian members
    referring to the Pin-Out diagram below,
    ( which was originally obtained directly from Garmin ),
    that the labels next to the drawing of Pins 1 & 2
    are the opposite way round to the Key appearing next to the drawing !  :087:

Last Edit: Mar 25, 2022, 11.41 am by Coconut

• Offline trophied   us

• Trophy God  ‐    4878

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
    • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
    Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 06.02 pm
    May 19, 2016, 06.02 pm
    Eagle eyed coconut.  Glad you noticed that for those inclined to use it. :028:
    One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies