Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: My other half is almost ready to try the pillion seat  (Read 1812 times)

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
My other half is almost ready to try the pillion seat
« on: May 20, 2016, 01:16:26 am »
My wife just informed me this evening that once her bionic knee replacement is fully functional she would like to try riding pillion on the Trophy, because she knows how important riding is to me.  Can you get any better than that from someone who grew up in the funeral business and heard all her life how dangerous riding is?  She has also seen my close encounter with a deer, my K1600 falling on me due to a gravelly footing and shattering my great toe (yes shattering-pretty ugly on x-rays), and she is still willing to try to fight through her anxiety and try to see why I love it so much and become a part of it.  Almost our 30th anniversary and I find I couldn't love this woman any more if I tried.  I hope that you all find the joy and love that we have!
Ride Safe, and love your best friend,
Glenn
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Xsv

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2015 TTSE, 2017 BMW
  • City / Town: Washington State
Re: My other half is almost ready to try the pillion seat
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 01:32:41 am »
That's really cool that you guys can ride together!

I purchased my first sport touring bike 6 years ago.  Bought the wife gear and a two way communications set up.  We went on a 2 hour ride and she said it was "alright" :002:

Bike rides have become my time and she never gives me grief about Farkles or $400 pants.  She expects and encourages me to be gone for a week in the spring for a long ride and again in the fall.

Boat time is the family time between rides.

I've come to enjoy the solo rides away from work and responsibilities where my only concern is doing what I want to do! :150:  at least for a week.

In fact, to most people's dismay, I prefer to not even ride with other bikers even on several thousand mile rides.  My great escape from people!!

I make sure my wife can track me in case there are long periods on non movement she can notify the appropriate authorities.

In my case I plan on retiring about 5 years before my wife.  Kids will be in college and so it will be just me and the road! :745:

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 03:03:28 am »
We will celebrate 39 years this year and I can't start the bike without her grabbing her helmet. She loves to ride pillion and I have come to depend on the second set of eyes and ears that she provides. It is almost uncanny how we become one and move and think alike when on the bike. I have taken solo trips and while I enjoyed them I still miss her.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 12:56:32 pm »
I haven't done any long trips because I know she would worry constantly, even if I called her often.  Maybe once she is on the bike a little she will understand and want to go for longer rides or sweep in the cage on a nice trip.  I generally ride by myself because everyone I know that rides is still working, and since I'm retired I get to ride when I want, not when I can.  Can't wait for the two up.
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Volfy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Gulf Coast
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 01:27:54 pm »
Sounds great!  I've always though one's best friend should be one's spouse.  Too often, I see and hear about couples that don't work well, it's good to know examples to the contrary.

Mine's not opposed to the idea or riding pillion, but with kiddos still young, she is worried about us getting in a wreck.  Oh well, maybe a few yrs down the road.
Converto, ergo sum.       '15 300RR, '15 250XCF-W, '14 K1600GT, '12 VFR1200, '05 GSXR600 (track).

tweedy-bunch